Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying older house, like HA & IOT

• 19-06-2019 11:50am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm buying a house that's about 40 years old. It's in a city centre so has access to high-speed broadband. Sorry for the layman question, but will I be able to get some HA and IOT set up like NEST etc. It has a new gas boiler and rads.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,984 ✭✭✭paulbok

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm buying a house that's about 40 years old. It's in a city centre so has access to high-speed broadband. Sorry for the layman question, but will I be able to get some HA and IOT set up like NEST etc. It has a new gas boiler and rads.

Thanks!

Absolutely. Depends an what you want really, but there is usually something out there at this stage to suit everyone.
    It would be surprising for Nest not to work with the new boiler, and the Nest Protect smoke/CO2 detectors are definitely worth investing in.

You will need to decide whether you are happy with all wireless devices (as much as possible - the Nest thermostat may need some wiring work and wall chasing depending on where you want to locate it), however the smoke detectors (wired and wireless available) and smart bulbs such as Philips Hue are all wireless. Most other motion and door/window sensors such as Samsung Smartthings, Ikea or Xiaomi Aqara are all wireless.
    You will need a home for the hubs for all these though that may need to be wired into your router.

While you may be happy with a wireless setup to begin with, in time you may want other options (HA becomes an addiction over time) so if possible, look at running network cables around the house before you move in, esp if you have any renovation work to do first.
    There are a good few threads on here about the needs for this, mainly for smart switches and home entertainment reasons. Having a lan port in every room is a good idea in any case.
    It really just depends on what you want to automate, heat, lights, security, vacuum, kettle, life in general.....

Don't be afraid to ask here on anything specific, plenty of knowledgeable sorts on here how are glad to help out.

Advertisement