Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broker mucked up on insurance last year

Options
  • 19-06-2019 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Only noticed now my renewal is in.

On my NCD it says I was in an accident in 2017. I have my NCD from the year before. I was in a not at fault accident in 2015 with 0 cost the wrong one state accident 17 claim value 12k

It also says I only have 6 years instead of 9.

Quotes this year based on correct info 400E based on incorrect I for nearly 1000E

Do I have any comeback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I think you first need to ask your insurer for details of that claim in 2017 for €12k

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think you first need to ask your insurer for details of that claim in 2017 for €12k

Reading between the lines, I think the OP moved insurer in 2018 and her current insurer thinks she had a claim in 2017. By the sound of it, this is based on incorrect data supplied by her broker as the OP says the last 'event' she was involved in was an accident in 2015 which was not her fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Correct. I even gave the broker my NCD but luckily I have a copy of it.

I was insured with AXA since 2014 and only changed last year through a broker as supposed to get a discount

But, from what you say, there is a very specific payment of 12k made against your policy. Brokers don't produce No Claim Bonus letters, they send you the insurers document. You need to ask the appropriate insurer at the time for dates, circumstances etc

But, from what you say, there is a very specific payment of 12k made against your policy. Brokers don't produce No Claim Bonus letters, they send you the insurers document. You need to ask the appropriate insurer at the time for dates, circumstances etc

I don't know how to explain this.

Firstly I was not in any accident or had anyone crash into to my car in 2017.

Secondly I do have a certificate of NCD FROM AXA dated June 18 which confirms I had 8 years NCD and there was a not at fault claim in Aug 15 value nil

I ré ieved a renewal letter from broker. This contained a renewal from current insurer, an offer from alternative insurer and a certificate of NCD from current insurer.

This NCD issued from current insurer contains the following info. 6 years NCD and an at fault claim dated Nov 17 value 12k

Broker has confirmed this info was given to current insurer at start of policy.

I do have an email that was sent to broker with my NCD attached from AXA

The claim showing on NCD is nothing got to do with me. Insurer will not speak to me only to instruct me to speak with broker

• Advertisement

Get your broker to get the details of this incident from the insurer who has recorded it on their paperwork

Get your broker to get the details of this incident from the insurer who has recorded it on their paperwork

The broker has already confirmed they gave the info to the insurer.

The broker cannot tell me where they got this info from

Something still sound odd. Anyway, every broker has it's Terms and Conditions. Within those is the complaints procedure and you need to activate this. The broker will have a Compliance Officer who will review the case and advise you of their findings. If they uncover an error on their side, which has caused you financial loss (unnecessary increased premium) you would be entitled to compensation.

If they discover the problem lies with the insurer, repeat the above process with them. If you cannot resolve the issue, they will issue a "release" to let you take it to the Ombudsman

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Alot of insurers only give a "6 year NCD" regardless of years insured. I've 14 years NCD yet all my NCD certs only day 6 years

antodeco wrote: »
    Alot of insurers only give a "6 year NCD" regardless of years insured. I've 14 years NCD yet all my NCD certs only day 6 years

+1 often when you're looking for quotes at renewal time, a prospective insurer will ask you to select from a list of NCD years and that option can run up to 10 years. But for a lot of people, the only paperwork you might have is the renewal letter saying that you had no claims in the previous 5 years.

Which is why I keep my renewal letters going back 6 years because it means that I can show the renewal letter from 2018 say I had no claims in the previous 5 years and the letter from 2013 saying the same. Which collectively establishes that I'm 10 years without a claim.

• Advertisement

Well if the insurer won't deal direct with you, you're going to have to get the broker to tell them that the information he provided last year was incorrect, attach a copy of your 2018 NCD cert. and see what happens.

Plan B is go and get quotes from other insurers.

coylemj wrote: »
    Well if the insurer won't deal direct with you, you're going to have to get the broker to tell them that the information he provided last year was incorrect, attach a copy of your 2018 NCD cert. and see what happens.

Plan B is go and get quotes from other insurers.

I hadve done all that by means of a formal complaint. I have secured alternative quotes for the coming year.

Cheapest is the following
    690 with the incorrect info
    400 when corrected.

I presume this would have had a sí. I lár effect on last year. Am I entitled to a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Regarding the 2015 incident, even if it's no blame attached would it still classify as a claim?

i.e it's a no claims bonus not a no blame bonus?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Regarding the 2015 incident, even if it's no blame attached would it still classify as a claim?

That's not a issue here. The OP has an NCD cert which says she had no claim in a period which includes 2015. So whatever you want to call it, it is not regarded as a blot on her claims record.

I hadve done all that by means of a formal complaint. I have secured alternative quotes for the coming year.

Cheapest is the following
    690 with the incorrect info
    400 when corrected.

I presume this would have had a similar effect on last year. Am I entitled to a refund

Morally, yes you are. But how you convert that to cash is another story.

Seriously OP, somebody, somehow, has allocated a 12k claim against your file and you shouldn't ignore that, even if you have secured alternative cover. You need to get to the bottom of it and get it rectified

Spook_ie wrote: »

It's a not at fault claim. Someone crashed into my car so their insurance has to pay. It has no effect on my insurance

Seriously OP, somebody, somehow, has allocated a 12k claim against your file and you shouldn't ignore that, even if you have secured alternative cover. You need to get to the bottom of it and get it rectified

Thats what I'm trying to do. I honestly feel like I'm beati g my head against a brick wall

Broker have confirmed mistake at their end. They have told me they are liaising with insurance company to have it rectified

Broker have confirmed mistake at their end. They have told me they are liaising with insurance company to have it rectified

I'm sure you'll do this but .... remind the broker that you paid too much last year as a result of his mistake so he should either personally subsidise this year's premium or he should see to it that the insurance company gives you a credit for the overpayment and reduce the quote for the renewal accordingly.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll do this but .... remind the broker that you paid too much last year as a result of his mistake so he should either personally subsidise this year's premium or he should see to it that the insurance company gives you a credit for the overpayment and reduce the quote for the renewal accordingly.

To be honest I don't trust them now and gone elsewhere and have a quote I'm happy with. It's half of what broker quoted me today with the error rectified

Advertisement