Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

03 Deauville - linked braking?

• 19-06-2019 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Does anyone know how this linked braking works?
    When I bought the bike the guy told me about it.
    But I didn't understand it then.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

There are 2 versions of Honda's linked breaks, I'm not sure which one the dulville has.

1. Brake with the front and one piston on the rear brake will also be used and vice versa.

2. Brake with the rear and one front piston will be used. Does not work front to rear though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Thanks. I think it's option 1. I took it out this evening pressed down hard on the back brake, but didn't feel anything in the front pushing down.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

According to the workshop manual, it's option two.

Front brake lever only operates the front brake. (All 3 pistons of the right caliper and the 2 outers of the left).

Rear brake operates rear and front. (All 2 pistons of the rear brake and the 1 middle of the left front caliper - with the proportioning valve diverting any excess effort to the front)

48096356488_c67097e220_z.jpg
    Honda Deauville Combined Brakes by macplaxton, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Thanks. I think it's option 1. I took it out this evening pressed down hard on the back brake, but didn't feel anything in the front pushing down.

It's really only to help balance your braking, I wouldn't rely on it in an emergency. I've had both versions and never noticed a big difference compared to any other bike. That said, there was a noticeable difference between the stopping power of front only and front and rear together. I use the rear heavily for slow control and on any bikes I had with CBS I didn't have to change how I ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement