Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License - First Time

Options
  • 19-06-2019 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Wasn't certain where would be the best section for this, mods can move if wanted.

So we live in an apartment, have been here just over 1 year. Never got a TV license because "It'll be grand" but I don't fancy taking the chance anymore, especially having found out that a monthly DD of e 13.33 is available which suits better than the single payment.

Every now and then a letter will land in the hall outside the apartment (which is where all the post goes) addressed to a previous resident and it has the An Post and TV Licence stamps and logos.
    We ignore these letters as they aren't addressed to us and they eventually disappear with all the other letters to previous residents (I presume this is common in apartments)

I went to the An Post website to sort out the Direct Debit and it states the following:

Note 3: All arrears due to date will be debited from your bank account in your first installment. Where a Direct Debit application is being set-up in respect of a renewal licence, the existing expiry date will remain unchanged and any arrears due to the date of the set-up will be collected in the first installment."

Now to me that means that when I sign up for the TV License I will be charged for the unpaid license since the last time it was paid for by a resident at our address.

The problem is, I don't know when the license was last paid, it could have expired before we moved in OR it could have expired years ago.

Does anyone know if there is a way of finding out when the license expired last?

I would be prepared to pay backdate from when we moved in but I don't want to be charged a couple of hundred.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the rant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Rmulvany wrote: »
    .....Where a Direct Debit application is being set-up in respect of a renewal......

This isn't a license renewal - it's a new license.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

SteM wrote: »
    This isn't a license renewal - it's a new license.
    Even though the license has previously been active for this address?
    You are more than likely right, I just had it in my head that me paying for it would count as renewing where the previous owner let it expire. And that a New License would be for a new house getting it's first TV License

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Just act like you just moved in and sign up to the direct debit. The license will be sent out immediately, then annually after that.

Advertisement