Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New "Bump" app

Options
  • 19-06-2019 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

There is a new bump app doing the rounds. Since the demise of "Chargebump" a new app has been badly needed. It's called "Need to charge". A simple and yet effective name. If your a EV driver you need to download it so we can all talk to each other and not leave each other stuck. The link is https://www.needtocharge.com/

** To the admins on the page. I have nothing to do with the development of the app. Just a user that's delighted to see a new app to try and quell hoggers. :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Great in theory, but in practice they often don't work.

The conscientious users with the app are not the ones plugging in to a charger and going off to watch a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

liamog wrote: »
    Great in theory, but in practice they often don't work.

The conscientious users with the app are not the ones plugging in to a charger and going off to watch a movie.

I agree. We can but try with these things :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Completely useless IMO - as above if you are a user of this app you are not the target for the app generally.

What is needed is a live app with the ability to direct message (anonymously) a charge user.
    This would require integration with, and better data from, ecars

Until that happens, all apps like chargebump, need to charge, etc, are pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jeditraining1

ELM327 wrote: »
    Completely useless IMO - as above if you are a user of this app you are not the target for the app generally.

What is needed is a live app with the ability to direct message (anonymously) a charge user.
    This would require integration with, and better data from, ecars

Until that happens, all apps like chargebump, need to charge, etc, are pointless

Shame you won't at least try like the rest of us.

Shame you won't at least try like the rest of us.
    I have enough EV apps on my phone, I don't currently drive an EV anymore (for the next while until we move house) and even when I did, if I'm plugged in I'm not going to be an evhole and block chargers anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

It's a bit short sighted to say that this is just to target the assholes, who obviously won't bother signing up.

I've been driving an EV for 4 years and while asshole behaviour is and will always be a factor, there are plenty of other people who can use this effectively.

Some leave notes, some leave their number showing, some don't like leaving contact details on display, some mean to get back by a certain time but get held up.

In the past I've kept a pen and paper, or a laminated page and a dry wipe marker in the car, but the reality is that I either forget, am in a hurry, or lose them (3 times so far).

Now I have a printed disc that I keep in the glove box and stick on the inside of my window if I'm leaving the car. Takes 2 seconds and it means I can be contacted by anyone who needs access.

483168.jpg

Asshole behaviours like FCP abandonment etc will fade away once charges come in. But you'll still arrive at a charger, see a Kona at 15% for example, and you don't know if they're just getting a quick boost or if they will be there til 90%.

And with the latest government waffle claiming that they'll be installing loads of standard chargers country wide, those are the ones where an app like this has the most benefit. Arrive at an SCP, you have no way of knowing what stage most cars are at, or in others you only narrow it down to which of the 3 lights are on etc. This app means you can contact the other user and they can tell you when they'll return.

At the end of the day it's free, there are no ads in the app and there's no harm in trying. It's already miles better than ChargeBump was.

I'm not going to be an evhole and block chargers anyway.

Like I say, it's not about blocking. Of course those people won't care. But if you plug into a standard charger, I arrive 5 minutes later, I have no way of knowing how long you've been there or how long you will be staying.

So I send a charge request, you get a notification and you can reply back to let me know.

Just a user that's delighted to see a new app to try and quell hoggers. :-)

As in the previous post, this app won't do anything to dispatch hoggers. At least not those who do it deliberately. But for those who are just ignorant of the etiquette it can help.

In my opinion the benefit is in communicating with those who aren't necessarily overstaying, but you just want to know their estimate.

It's like when you arrive at a charger, someone is plugged in and you say hello and enquire how long they need it. This gives you that same polite query even if they're not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for the chat folks, never knew about this App but have it downloaded now.

Even though I rarely charge publicly, so it's unlikely to be an issue for me.

If it's free and there's no adverts, how is it funded?

No idea. I'd say if it gets a bigger user base then adverts might appear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats how most things start out.... no ads, nothing to annoy you and then once you are on board and they have the critical mass they flog it to the advertisers... then they hit you with a subscription!

Advertisement