Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthing Pool - Coombe

Options
  • 19-06-2019 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using the birthing pool in the Coombe. I know there is a lot of global research into the benefits of using a birthing pool but as it is relatively new in Ireland and the Coombe I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience I would like to consider using it but I have some concerns that perhaps the midwives in the Coombe are not very experienced in water births.

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Hi Sarah, I would have loved to use it but I had Group B Strep which requires an IV antibiotic so that eliminated me from using it.

I therefore don't have direct experience of it but this is what I know about it in case you do go ahead with it:

There is a consent form that must be signed at least 24 hours before use of the pool. You can get it in the Coombe and sign it immediately and place it in the front of your file. You can't sign it on the day, apparently some people arrive without it signed and they can't use the pool.

It is the only birthing pool available and its in a delivery suite that can be assigned to anyone, whether they intend to use the pool or not. Therefore, tell the admissions team that you'd like to use it as soon as you arrive, and they can try to avoid placing someone else in there. Of course someone else may want to use it and that's just hard luck, but I have two friends who were in that suite with no intention whatsoever of using the pool.

There is a direct contact for the pool who replies to emails very promptly. You could raise any questions or concerns directly with her. PM me if you would like her email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sarah1916

Thanks Cash I appreciate the reply.

I have actually signed that consent form and have it on my file. I am still not 100% sure if I will use it or not but no harm having the consent form filled out anyway. If you could PM that email address that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

PM sent, you can always change your mind and decide against it or you can labour in it but get out to give birth, best to be armed with as much information as possible anyway. Good luck with your delivery whatever happens!

Advertisement