Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch Lite incoming!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Even though it's smaller, the buttons appear to be better, the shoulder buttons at least.

D_HYWHFWwAc-lx1?format=jpg&name=small

Special Pokemon Edition coming on 8th November. Nintendo were always going to have a cheaper model out in time for Pokemon Sword and Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sligeach wrote: »
    Even though it's smaller, the buttons appear to be better, the shoulder buttons at least.

No offset on the thumbsticks so pressing B might be a little awkward.

That Pokemon looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

And this is an instant purchase for me(for my daughter), I'm fed up having to give her my switch to play so this is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Cool and all, but personally, even if i didnt have the switch, id still get the standard over this, regardless of how much hand held gaming im going to be doing, the option to hook it to a massive screen is too good to pass up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Definitely more aimed at the kiddos. I imagine it’ll be fairly shock proof as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

CastorTroy wrote: »
    That's what I mean for Mario. There are parts involving shaking the joycons. I know there are other games as well.

Will do well anyway, I'm sure

The Mario bits aren't key though. I played most of Odyssey in handheld and didn't use those options at all really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And there we have it!
    I'm right for once!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

With Pokemon this Christmas, they are going to make an absolute fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Even if it didn't come with a dock the fact you can't use one or any USB C output is a bit ****.

Guess it's got downgraded hardware going by the price drop and the fact without TV higher res output they don't need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Yeah i'd buy it at luanch if you could connect to a telly. We play Smash Bros on the projector but wouldnt use it much handheld.

I wonder if someone will come up with a way??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Yeah i'd buy it at luanch if you could connect to a telly. We play Smash Bros on the projector but wouldnt use it much handheld.

Why buy it if you're happy with a regular switch or have i misunderstood?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

It definitely is a lite model and definitely aimed at the DS crowd. I can see the appeal of it, but definitely not a reason to move from an original Switch. I would miss the detachable joycons and docking too much. So I'm still waiting patiently for that Pro model :p

Should sell like water in the desert. Especially with the right games coming up. and that can only be good for the Switch community as a whole! More players, more quality games! Don't **** this up Nintendo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Atlas_IRL wrote: »

Some kind of Chromecast type feature would be a good idea, or even remote play to a smart TV like the vita or wii u tablet keep it exclusive for certain games FIFA Mario Kart that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There won't be a 'Pro' model anytime soon imo. There seems to be an upgraded Switch coming but I doubt it will be a heavily beefed up model. More storage and quicker cpu perhaps, or enhanced screen etc. I think it'll be a case of a console revision like there has been countless times from all companies down the years.

The Switch may well be a brand rather than a format, over the coming years, akin to Playstation or Xbox.
    So, rather than a hardware refresh, we could see a Switch 2 or similar announced at next year's E3, for example.
    All speculation of course, but the Switch brand has become quite positive and must be worth preserving into whatever the next generation is going to look like for Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Switch may well be a brand rather than a format, over the coming years, akin to Playstation or Xbox.
    So, rather than a hardware refresh, we could see a Switch 2 or similar announced at next year's E3, for example.
    All speculation of course, but the Switch brand has become quite positive and must be worth preserving into whatever the next generation is going to look like for Nintendo.

Don't see that happening, unless it's simply a more powerful version of the same thing.
    They were too burned with the Wii U for that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

Star Lord wrote: »
    They were too burned with the Wii U for that I think.

Was just about to post the same thing, they went from worldwide smash Wii, to essential flop Wii U in one generation. The Switch is a big hit, so they may follow it up by trying to preserve the Switch name...but they need to do something simple and name it the Switch 2, and not get silly with naming like they did with the Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yakult wrote: »
    So I'm still waiting patiently for that Pro model :p

I hope you're a patient man... The next gen for nintendo is a long long way off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

I hope you're a patient man... The next gen for nintendo is a long long way off

Any purported Pro model, isn't a next-gen leap though. There will be a Pro Switch sooner rather than later (new Tegra on the horizon) As for the successor to the Switch though, that's quite a while a way yes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Inviere wrote: »
    Any purported Pro model, isn't a next-gen leap though. There will be a Pro Switch sooner rather than later (new Tegra on the horizon) As for the successor to the Switch though, that's quite a while a way yes.

Spot on I would say. I think we are going to see the original switch revised i.e new chip and memory iirc.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/7/10/20689379/nintendo-switch-update-fcc-change-cpu-nvidia-tegra-soc-nand

I've heard that it's going to cost €230 in Europe. That's not great, if true. I assumed that it would get a straight swap from $200 to €200. The lack of dock connectivity is a bummer, even as an option through separate additional purchases. It'll still sell great regardless, this is aimed at the dedicated handheld market. But if this becomes the main seller, we could see developers skimping on gyro controls or HD Rumble. I still feel a Switch at the €150 is the sweet spot for colossal sales, and Nintendo could do that for Christmas 2020 to combat the competition's new consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

sligeach wrote: »
    I've heard that it's going to cost €230 in Europe. That's not great, if true. I assumed that it would get a straight swap from $200 to €200. The lack of dock connectivity is a bummer, even as an option through separate additional purchases. It'll still sell great regardless, this is aimed at the dedicated handheld market. But if this becomes the main seller, we could see developers skimping on gyro controls or HD Rumble. I still feel a Switch at the €150 is the sweet spot for colossal sales, and Nintendo could do that for Christmas 2020 to combat the competition's new consoles.

€150 is what they're selling the 2DS for at the moment. It'll be a long time before the Switch gets that cheap.
    $200 to €230 makes no sense if true. Some odd currency rates Nintendo are using there :(

€150 is what they're selling the 2DS for at the moment. It'll be a long time before the Switch gets that cheap.
    $200 to €230 makes no sense if true. Some odd currency rates Nintendo are using there :(

Well the €230 would include Vat in Ireland so ex vat that's €187. The $200 will be without state taxes in the US and that's about €175 converted so €12 more expensive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

They should really give one of their top tier games away free with it if they are gonna have it at that price. Mario kart or Smash bros if they wanna push the multiplayer parties in parks or on roof tops they keep shoving into their commercials :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cant believe they got rid of the rumble, why? Thats a dealbreaker for me, no rumble and a 5.5" screen is just not a platform for playing AAA games, laughable to think of squinting at BotW2 on a 5.5" screen with no feedback in the thunderstorms/combat everything else when I could be playing it on a massive screen like I did the first one. Its a bit of a joke product imo but no doubt will be a big seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

It has its audience. It will sell very well. Even at that price it's significantly cheaper than the original Switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Something to note for anyone looking to get a switch lite to own in conjunction with your regular switch

You will have to de-register your original switch as the primary console, and register your switch lite as the primary console. The reason for this is that only your primary switch console can be played without an internet connection present - this is, of course, assuming you’ll intend for your switch lite to be your ‘out of the house’ console.

Probably a good idea also(before de-registering your original switch) to make sure your saves are backed up(via Switch Online service)

Anyway the bottom line is there’s a little bit of hassle involved, though you’ll find helpful info with a simple internet search.

Advertisement