Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch Lite incoming!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This, coupled with Pokemon, is going to sell mountains of stock for Nintendo this Christmas.
    There really isn't anything to answer it, within that market, on any other format.
    I mean, the Xbox and Playstation have tons of great games, but not a lot that is at once new and aimed at a family audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Are Gamestop offering trade in of an old Switch for the new Lite model?
    I'd be interested in the smaller model along with the better battery life.
    I've only ever connected the Switch once to my tv so this if perfect for me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are Gamestop offering trade in of an old Switch for the new Lite model?
    I'd be interested in the smaller model along with the better battery life.
    I've only ever connected the Switch once to my tv so this if perfect for me.

They're doing a 50% bonus on trade in for the old switch so they'll give you 300 euro store credit for it. Should be enough to cover a Lite and a game.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They're doing a 50% bonus on trade in for the old switch so they'll give you 300 euro store credit for it. Should be enough to cover a Lite and a game.

Ideal! Thanks. Might pop in there tomorrow and scope it out.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Just confirmed this. Have traded in my old Switch and have the Lite preorder fully paid off. Money for another game still in my account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Looking forward to hearing how people find these. The Switch gets a lot more family use than I thought it would so I wouldn't mind a smaller version I could just carry around with me while leaving the OG one back home.

What cases are ye planning to get for the Lite?

I've heard the TomToc are good. There is a Lite model but no word on when it's realeased:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07W6D3VVV

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I put this in the Nintendo bargain thread but in case anyone is looking for a Switch Lite. Currys.co.uk have a bundle with Link's Awakening for £199. With parcel wizard etc. that's €229. So essentially a great game for free.

Picked up my Lite during lunch and I've it now setup and Links Awakening is downloading.
    It feels great in the hand and the screen looks so much sharper than the OG Switch.
    Hopefully I'll get a few hours playtime with it this evening to see if it's more comfortable than the OG.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Picked up my Lite during lunch and I've it now setup and Links Awakening is downloading.
    It feels great in the hand and the screen looks so much sharper than the OG Switch.
    Hopefully I'll get a few hours playtime with it this evening to see if it's more comfortable than the OG.

How are you finding it?

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    How are you finding it?

It's great. Feels so much lighter than the OG and it's very solid. The feel of the matt plastic helps the grip.
    I used get sore hands sometimes with the OG but I've not got it yet with the Lite.
    The screen seems brighter and sharper too.
    It's a great looking handheld too so overall I'm happy I made the change.

Think i may pick one up later today. I think Smyths are the cheapest if you're not trading in an OG one.

Think i may pick one up later today. I think Smyths are the cheapest if you're not trading in an OG one.

If you can wait a few days, Currys.co.uk still have the best offer. It's gone up from £199, but at £219 with a free copy of link's awakening (normally costs €60) it's still a bargain.

Smyths looks the best here with the console plus choice of Links or Mario kart for €265.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/console-bundle-deals/nintendo-switch-console-bundle-deals/nintendo-switch-lite-grey-and-select-game/b/800428

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It's great. Feels so much lighter than the OG and it's very solid. The feel of the matt plastic helps the grip.
    I used get sore hands sometimes with the OG but I've not got it yet with the Lite.
    The screen seems brighter and sharper too.
    It's a great looking handheld too so overall I'm happy I made the change.

What colour did you get and were there display models?

mrcheez wrote: »
    What colour did you get and were there display models?

Grey model. I didn't see any display models in GameStop Stephens Green.

Digital Foundry review lines up with my thinking on it:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-nintendo-switch-lite-review

Just picked up a Grey one in Smyths. Much prefer the size to the OG one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

A buddy is going to the states this week.wonder would the price difference be much.

About 180 euro according to the conversion rate.

Anyone seen half decent cases? Soft shell preferably.

Edit : Just picked up a decent one on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Picked one up and it's great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The hardware needed to output Switch Lite to TV "does not exist" in the new device
    "There's nothing there to interpret and put out any type of video."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-09-22-the-hardware-needed-to-output-switch-lite-to-tv-does-not-exist-in-the-new-console

Just picked up a Grey one in Smyths. Much prefer the size to the OG one.

I had a pre-ordered turquoise but decided to hold off until I saw one in my hands.

I'm actually leaning more toward the yellow now, it just looks so nice and "Nintendo" and complements the colour palette used in so many Zelda / Mario games

https://youtu.be/Sw5Q-oHXErc?t=315

Grey doesn't interest me, but I'll never know until I get it in my hands.

Reminding me more and more of my old GameBoy Advance.

mrcheez wrote: »
    I had a pre-ordered turquoise but decided to hold off until I saw one in my hands.

I'm actually leaning more toward the yellow now, it just looks so nice and "Nintendo" and complements the colour palette used in so many Zelda / Mario games

https://youtu.be/Sw5Q-oHXErc?t=315

Grey doesn't interest me, but I'll never know until I get it in my hands.

The yellow one is indeed nice.

What sort of warranty comes with this?

Reading a lot about joycon drift that beleaguered many Switch users, and apparently the same joycons are used in this, but obviously they can't be replaced.

So if the joycon started drifting on the Lite does it have a 1 year warranty and are Nintendo generally fuss-free (like Amazon for example)?

erk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

What is happening with Nintendo quality control? This happened on the original switch, now with the lite. This and dodgy d pads.

Previous gen controllers are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Re. warranties do you have to register the product to get the 2nd year??

kinda wish I got the yellow now not the grey :(

• Advertisement

I finally received mine from Amazon after deciding on the yellow.

I gotta say the colour looks so nice - sorry to rub it in :/

It's a whiter shade than on the box you see in the shop and looks really premium matte and not at all loud. In fact it's quite a subtle colour as it's almost pale.

Also got one of these cases...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/tomtoc-Nintendo-Protective-Cartridges-Protection/dp/B07W6D3VVV/

The whole things looks quality. Highly recommend it!

Now to actually play it...

Advertisement