Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue Tenant

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    And achieve what ?

The company is not obliged to pay his rent. Who do you plan to get in contact with at his company? Email who exactly?

If you do manage to get through to someone he works with he will simply shrug his shoulders, deny he has even heard of you and change the subject.

This.
    If his employer gave you any personal information they hold on him, and yes his employment status is included, to some randomer they don't know. I would guarantee you they'd be breaking gdpr of some kind. Unless you correspond with someone of rather low intelligence they won't answer you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Did he get a verbal or written reference from this company or did he just tell you he worked there and you took him to be honest and genuine given the company status?
    You have his deposit. You have a month's rent in advance.
    I'd chalk it down to experience.
    You won't see the money again and it's not his employer's business what he does outside of work unless they are giving him a character reference to landlords or homeowners.

To thine own self be true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 keeffo2002

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    And achieve what ?

The company is not obliged to pay his rent. Who do you plan to get in contact with at his company? Email who exactly?

If you do manage to get through to someone he works with he will simply shrug his shoulders, deny he has even heard of you and change the subject.

He can deny it, I'll put in enough to show its genuine and how he has absconded from his responsibility. I will take my time and construct the email content to make sure it hits the point and precise. I just feel scammers shouldn't be left to do this and have no repercussion. That's the reason they do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

TBH OP you got off lightly, his deposit covers an extra month so you're down what 2 or 3 weeks worth of rent? Chalk it down and move on.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    This.
    If his employer gave you any personal information they hold on him, and yes his employment status is included, to some randomer they don't know. I would guarantee you they'd be breaking gdpr of some kind. Unless you correspond with someone of rather low intelligence they won't answer you.

I am willing to send the email, even if I get no response, it will have the effect that they have dishonest employees who need to be trusted in the environment they work as they can be around valuable stock and goods

• Advertisement

TBH OP you got off lightly, his deposit covers an extra month so you're down what 2 or 3 weeks worth of rent? Chalk it down and move on.

Down about 800 in total so not peanuts by any means

Did he get a verbal or written reference from this company or did he just tell you he worked there and you took him to be honest and genuine given the company status?
    I worked as a secretary in a company and got a call one day from a distressed woman who told me one of our employees owed her money and wasn't answering her calls.
    She wanted me to pass on the message to him to call her.
    I felt very sorry for her but I told her that under no circumstances was I getting involved because it was none of my business what an employee did in his spare time and wasn't my place to get involved.
    You have his deposit. You have a month's rent in advance.
    I'd chalk it down to experience.
    You won't see the money again and it's not his employer's business what he does outside of work unless they are giving him a character reference to landlords or homeowners.

He told me at first he got a job there. Paid up the rent and deposit. Had their uniforms, got dropped off by their Van's, so I reckon it's safe to say he was employed by them

As I said earlier, even if I get no response, it will have the effect as they are trusted by clients to work in their stores with a lot of valuable stock and goods freely available to pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

keeffo2002 wrote: »
    He can deny it, I'll put in enough to show its genuine and how he has absconded from his responsibility. I will take my time and construct the email content to make sure it hits the point and precise. I just feel scammers shouldn't be left to do this and have no repercussion. That's the reason they do it

My initial reaction was that you should so something about it, but don't forget that he knows where you live. If you do send that email and it does effect his employment, there is no guarantee on how someone like him would react..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

He didn't really use his employment to dupe you though.
    You're lashing out in the wrong place OP.
    Go the redress route of you really want the money back.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

keeffo2002 wrote: »
    He told me at first he got a job there. Paid up the rent and deposit. Had their uniforms, got dropped off by their Van's, so I reckon it's safe to say he was employed by them

As I said earlier, even if I get no response, it will have the effect as they are trusted by clients to work in their stores with a lot of valuable stock and goods freely available to pocket

You need to stop this as you are running the risk of defamation. He left you in the lurch, but that doesn’t automatically make him a thief, which is what you’re inferring. Dangerous territory for you if you go down that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

being a landlord is a business. you are taking this personal.

you need to weight up the risks of this course of action vs the benefits, and take the wisest course of action for you business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

That's grand it could well happen, but it doesn't take much to make the call anyway. Might as well.

dont ring them up asking about the rent....

ring them and tell them you are a landlord and "yourmans name" has put them down as reference, and you were ringing to check if he works there, as you ring the jobs of all prospective tenants.

play it that way, ring the HR section of his work (if they have one) otherwise, the boss of the company, and ask them "is so and so employed here currently, as i am checking references of my prospective tenants".

if he has told work that he has moved out of your place where he used to be collected in the company van, play dumb, and say "im not aware of that" - he is looking to rent from me and i am checking a reference - it will tie in with any story he has told work about having to move.

do it that way and you will find out easily whether he is currently employed there or not.

do not mention rent owed etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

thanks the input folks. As the OP won't be replying I'm going to lock this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement