Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Roundabout

Options
  • 19-06-2019 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

When coming out of the airport is the right hand lane only if you are turning right heading for Kinsale ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    When coming out of the airport is the right hand lane only if you are turning right heading for Kinsale ?
    Unless the road markings have changed since I was last there, the left lane is for the 1st and 2nd exit, right hand lane for 3rd exit (Kinsale).

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

I would imagine so unless there is markings saying otherwise.

I just checked there and right lane is definitely for kinsale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I am finding of late more and more people.in the left lane approaching a roundabout on a dual.carraigeway which is not marked, are for whatever reason choosing to take that 3rd exit.
    Be careful out there.
    The most famous one I find is the roundabout at the end of The Model Farm Road when one is approaching that roundabout from the N22 dual carriageway and wanting to exit onto the 3rd exit which to me is The Carrigrohane Road.
    Granted one exit is into the Bridgewater housing estate but it is still an exit from a roundabout being in my book the second one.
    It is actually incredible the amount of people who choose to approach this roundabout in the left lane and the exit at the 3rd exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

kub wrote: »
    I am finding of late more and more people.in the left lane approaching a roundabout on a dual.carraigeway which is not marked, are for whatever reason choosing to take that 3rd exit.
    Be careful out there.
    The most famous one I find is the roundabout at the end of The Model Farm Road when one is approaching that roundabout from the N22 dual carriageway and wanting to exit onto the 3rd exit which to me is The Carrigrohane Road.
    Granted one exit is into the Bridgewater housing estate but it is still an exit from a roundabout being in my book the second one.
    It is actually incredible the amount of people who choose to approach this roundabout in the left lane and the exit at the 3rd exit.

There is nothing wrong on doing so. Unless there are other markings, you can enter from left lane and just keep going around.

grogi wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong on doing so. Unless there are other markings, you can enter from left lane and just keep going around.

Well according to The Rules of the Road this is incorrect, unless things have changed since.

So in that case, what is the point in the right lane of that dual carriageway approaching that roundabout so please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Well according to The Rules of the Road this is incorrect, unless things have changed since.

So in that case, what is the point in the right lane of that dual carriageway approaching that roundabout so please?

If it's the one I think you're talking about, there are no road markings but the signpost before the roundabout clearly marks the carrigrohane road as the 12 o clock exit, so you should be using the left lane for that (and into ballincollig and the housing estate) and the right lane only for the model farm road exit (or back on the N22).

Again and again - since when does RSA make law in this country? They are an advisory body only.

There are two rules really anchored in law:
    - give way to cars already in the RB
    - when changing lanes (applies to exiting the RB from central lanes too), give way to cars in the lane your going to.

Simple. But RSA publication did so much harm...

grogi wrote: »
    Again and again - since when does RSA make law in this country? They are an advisory body only.

There are two rules really anchored in law:
    - give way to cars already in the RB
    - when changing lanes (applies to exiting the RB from central lanes too), give way to cars in the lane your going to.

Simple. But RSA publication did so much harm...

Ok, there are no lane markings on that roundabout.
    I get what you are saying about the RSA, but that publication, the rules of the road is the bible for learner drivers.

Ok, there are no lane markings on that roundabout.

And this makes it even trickier - I personally navigate such RB in very defensive mode - by driving in the middle of it I am not allowing any car by my side.
    I get what you are saying about the RSA, but that publication, the rules of the road is the bible for learner drivers.

I know it is. It is such a shame that it is so misleading.

It also is a shame our planners are still in seventies and don't build turbine roundabouts instead.

turboroundabout-compare.png

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

yogmeister wrote: »
    I would imagine so unless there is markings saying otherwise.

I just checked there and right lane is definitely for kinsale.

That’s what I thought I work up in the business park nearly every day some comedian takes the right hand lane and cuts across to the second exit from the right hand lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ITgirl73

That’s what I thought I work up in the business park nearly every day some comedian takes the right hand lane and cuts across to the second exit from the right hand lane

I hear you. Only matter of time there is a collision. They take the outside lane to bypass traffic to head for Harlequins & Ballygarvan Road. Often sandwiched on roadabout as a result. Owners of Airport/business park should clearly mark the lanes especially with tourists & increasingly capacity in business park as motorists are ignoring rules of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Happens to me all the time. If there was an accident I would assume the person in the right lane, taking the 2nd exit would be at fault?

Happens to me all the time. If there was an accident I would assume the person in the right lane, taking the 2nd exit would be at fault?

50-50.

Advertisement