Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance question

• 20-06-2019 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

I had an accident last August where I ran over a child, obviously there are claims against me but nothing has came of it yet.

I was told by my insurance company that I won’t be able to Get any sort of quote while this is on going, is this true ?

My second question then is if I were to buy a bike would I have the same issue ?

I’m lost since I have been off the road and really just need some sort of transport so hoping I might have a better chance on a bike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,284 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm afraid its most unlikely that any insurance company will offer you cover while you have an open claim pending against you. Doesn't matter whether it has 2, 4 or more wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I always thought that you were stuck with your current insurer till open claims where resolved, the quotes won't be cheap. Give the Insurance Ombudsman a call and see what they say.

If you still have your licence see about renting cars. Get an annual excess policy and hunt around and you'll get good deals.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote:
    I'm afraid its most unlikely that any insurance company will offer you cover while you have an open claim pending against you. Doesn't matter whether it has 2, 4 or more wheels.

The current insurer will offer terms. Might not be cheap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Unlikely you'll get an alternative quote to that offered by your current insurers. Sorry to add to your troubles, but claims involving minors usually go on longer than involving adults, as the extent of injuries and long term effects need to be fully established

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Thanks for the replies. It’s not looking great for me so.

I have been renting cars/vans the odd weekend but was kind of in 2 minds about whether I was actually covered as they don’t ask anything about claims against me etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,284 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The current insurer will offer terms. Might not be cheap though.

My comment was in relation to alternative insurance companies won't quote once there is an open claim against the OP with their current insurer. From the OP opening post that is what their current insurer has told them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. It’s not looking great for me so.

I have been renting cars/vans the odd weekend but was kind of in 2 minds about whether I was actually covered as they don’t ask anything about claims against me etc

If course you are covered. The only reason why you wouldn't be covered is if you didn't have a licence for the vehicle you are hiring. I'm surprised more people who get huge quotes don't hire.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If course you are covered. The only reason why you wouldn't be covered is if you didn't have a licence for the vehicle you are hiring. I'm surprised more people who get huge quotes don't hire.

Thanks that’s good so , I don’t see how I could get a long term rental though. It’d be extremely expensive , I’m paying between 70-110 for a weekend alone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Would something like go car be any use to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Is there any legal authority for a motor insurer to refuse to quote for a proposal where there is an outstanding claim ?
    I say quote in the proper sense as distinct from the practice of giving an absurd quote which is really not a quote at all !

If not, is this just insurers doing what they like as a matter of practice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote: »
    My comment was in relation to alternative insurance companies won't quote once there is an open claim against the OP with their current insurer. From the OP opening post that is what their current insurer has told them.

Thanks for the clarification.

Back to this thread again, nothing has happened yet with the claim nor have I tried to get insurance. But I’m after getting a really good job opportunity that’s I’ll need my own transport for , is there anything at all I can do to get a quote ?

I’m happy to pay over the odds for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Back to this thread again, nothing has happened yet with the claim nor have I tried to get insurance. But I’m after getting a really good job opportunity that’s I’ll need my own transport for , is there anything at all I can do to get a quote ?

I’m happy to pay over the odds for it

Did you let your old policy lapse? It's not clear from your posts why you are off the road - is it because the car was damaged beyond repair, or did your own insurer cancel the policy or refuse to renew? I'm not making light of running down a child but unless you are convicted and disqualifed, there is no reason why you can't continue to drive under your original policy.

When your insurance told you that you wouldn't be able to get a quote, they meant from other companies, you can still renew with them. In fact, you will be stuck with them until at least the case is settled and (if there is a payout) probably for a few years after that.

So the answer to your question is: go back to your original insurer and ask them for a quote.

coylemj wrote: »
    Did you let your old policy lapse? It's not clear from your posts why you are off the road - is it because the car was damaged beyond repair, or did your own insurer cancel the policy or refuse to renew? I'm not making light of running down a child but unless you are convicted and disqualifed, there is no reason why you can't continue to drive under your original policy.

In cases like yours, a person with an outstanding claim is tyically stuck with the original insurer until at least when the case is sorted, then they attempt to build up a no-claims record again. But it may be a few years before anyone else will give them a quote.

So the answer to your question is: go back to your original insurer and ask them for a quote.

Ya I’m not off the road or anything I have a court case for driving with undue care coming up in October. My original policy ran out so your saying my original insurer (liberty ) have to give me a quote?

Another question I have is , what are the usual penalties for driving with undue care ? The guards are doing me for that for the same case so I feel like I’m being punished twice here. Also I got assaulted by the family of the child so basically that was more punishment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ya I’m not off the road or anything I have a court case for driving with undue care coming up in October. My original policy ran out so your saying my original insurer (liberty ) have to give me a quote?

You're not off the road but your policy ran out. Explain.
    Another question I have is , what are the usual penalties for driving with undue care ? The guards are doing me for that for the same case so I feel like I’m being punished twice here. Also I got assaulted by the family of the child so basically that was more punishment

Driving without due care and attention is commonly known as 'careless driving', it's the little brother of dangerous driving. Be sure to have a solicitor as it's a conviction you can do without.

The judge will not care about your difficulties with insurance, or the incident with the child's family. You can take guidance from your solicitor on whether the assault should be mentioned, I'd expect the advice will be not to mention it as it has no bearing on what happened in the period leading up to the collision and that is what determines guilt or innocence on the charge.

Penalties for careless driivng vary, it depends on the judge and how good a case your solicitor makes in terms of mitigating factors and whether you can show you were paying attention at the time.

Advertisement