Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones school - gender neutral uniforms to be introduced.

Options

Comments

I don't really see the issue or how it affects anyone
    'you have an option now that you may not have had before'
    cool - nobody really ends up doing anything different and we all move on with our lives

maybe in summer they'll end up like these lads
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/22/french-bus-drivers-skirts-dress-code-nantes

• Registered Users Posts: 47 paddar

Tom Sherlock "We hope other schools will follow suit and create safe and supportive environments for all their students."

Someone should send their child in there with an SS uniform on and see if Tom is true to his word and create a safe and supportive space for them.

From '' create safe and supportive environments for all their students'' to ''Someone should send their child in there with an SS uniform''

Why would anyone send their kid dressed in an SS uniform to school? You haven't really thought this through have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

paddar wrote: »
    From '' create safe and supportive environments for all their students'' to ''Someone should send their child in there with an SS uniform''

Why would anyone send their kid dressed in an SS uniform to school? You haven't really thought this through have you?

What if the kid wanted to wear an SS uniform?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Faugheen wrote: »
    The amount of people who take issue with this is baffling.

It has absolutely zero impact on your life whatsoever. Leave them at it. If a boy wants to wear a skirt, he can.

I feel like some people treat this like a boy has to wear a skirt rather than it being a choice.

There is no need for them to come out and say this...

Any boy in the country can wear a skirt....all they have to do is say they identify as a girl.....no school is going to argue with that these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Maybe so, but there's absolutely no harm in trying to make life a bit easier for children who are going through a gender crisis. It costs us nothing, but will save those children from mental anguish and alienation. Contrary to what most people in After Hours seem to contend, there are real lives suffering because of this and real families which are not getting support from the state for their children and are frequently left on a suicide watch in their own homes. This is far from being a simple "pc issue" despite what the reactionary drones here might contend.

This was a hugely informative RTÉ documentary about it earlier this year. Girls are much more likely to identify as boys than the other way around, and mental illness had a central role in it. They spoke with families about how they were coping and the fear they had for their child's life. There was nothing "pc" about their pain and fear. So what if they have a gender free uniform.

I would think it's a much more significant issue that we still have all-girls and all-boys schools in existence as they do nothing to reduce barriers and, at their worst, produce a yobbish, sexist macho culture à la the Belfast rape trial. But that's a much bigger battle.

As long as we aren't overly peddling it to kids i am in favor of having options but i am also very cautious of some of the thinking around gender studies. That is why so many are against this not because its just a simple option but its seen as a sign of some of the other ills that come with the thinking around it. I have a child with autism so i know a thing about how neglectful the state can be.

I saw the documentary as did most here the reaction from the trans community to some of it probably did no favors for stuff like this. The whole discussion around when the transition should start is something folk are very vocal about.

Indeed we must tackle the toxic masculinity and make sure them men know they are dirt and little rapists. Having them congregate together is very much wrong as they don't know right and wrong on their own and might just rape everything in sight. I am being sarcastic btw, your last comment is exactly why people have their backs up and are very wary of crap like this. I know many who went to an all boys school and never turned out like that. I suppose there are no negatives of the girls school on their own?

What you could have said is that we need mixed schools so we can offer essential services to children with disabilities without having to force a girl to go to an all boys school or vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'd go nuclear on it and identify as a spoon.
    Try teaching a spoon the modh coinníollach!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

is_that_so wrote: »

Forget children with gender issues, I would have trouble dressing my daughter for school because their options are too narrow. Also in school my kids go to no self respecting girl past second class would be seen in a pinafore. They mostly wear trousers or skirts. I have no issue with their new policy but all they achieved is to actually move out of Stone age they were in before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Set the air-con at 22 degrees and let them all go to school in their birthday suits.
    Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The school could introduce one uniform for both boys and girls... that seems even more sensible and progressive if that's what it's trying to be.

A primary school I went to 25 years ago has one uniform and boys and girls shared toilets back then too.

hey its nobody else's business how the child chooses to dress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I remember the lads wearing skirts in school to protest the girls not being allowed wear trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Why are kids aged 4-12 shaping school policy?? Its absolutely ridiculous. Pandering to attention seekers.

National schools are now run by the yummy mummy’s brigade and all their hairy fairy ideas to promote their little angels as much as they can, mostly for the photos for Facebook etc and the teachers have to bow to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why are kids aged 4-12 shaping school policy?? Its absolutely ridiculous. Pandering to attention seekers.

National schools are now run by the yummy mummy’s brigade and all their hairy fairy ideas to promote their little angels as much as they can, mostly for the photos for Facebook etc and the teachers have to bow to them.

Didn't read the story wory did you?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What's next, gender neutral menstrual cups?

Well, yes actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Ah, "pal", how, eh, JohnnyFlashesque of you. I doubt the local schoolboy being abused for wearing a dress would also be the local drunk but, in absolute fairness to you, you do seem like an authority on being drunk.

Schoolboy being abused for wearing a dress???
    Woah there horsey, time to take a break from the keyboard, you're not making any sense.
    The odd break away from the net does none of us any harm, Compadre :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What's next, gender neutral menstrual cups?

Well, yes actually.

Just for men tampons

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Non-issue.

exactly. Its just allowing girls to wear trousers (practice for married life later on) and lads to wear skirts.

no lads will come to school wearing skirts.... stupid PR stunt if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Gatling wrote: »
    Just for men tampons

I hear some women eat Yorkie bar's too. PC gone mad!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Has anyone pointer out that "gay" isn't an insult in schools any longer? Posting that blokes would be bullied mercilessly says more about the posters than anything. Things have changed.

I really can't imagine many blokes would choose to wear a skirt. I can think of 1 bloke in school who was super camp from first year and is gay. But I don't know if he would have worn a skirt if he had the choice.

It seems like a complete non issue to me. If someone does choose to wear a skirt then deal have a plan in place and deal with it as it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Defeating Hitler is a bit pointless when you then go around demanding rigid conformity and promoting homophobia, no?

Are you saying that all cross dressers are gay?? Thats quite a sweeping statement.

• Advertisement

victor8600 wrote: »
    Here is one "skirt wearing pansy" who killed over 300 Nazis.
    41665593942_e0b63acfd6_z.jpg

Her name is Lyudmila Pavlichenko. Wearing a skirt did not prevent her from beating Hitler.

Thats her parade uniform. As a sniper she would have worn camo trousers in the field. But, facts and all that. :rolleyes:

is_that_so wrote: »

"The Being LGBT in Schools guide book advised schools to allow transgender students to wear the uniform they preferred and "access toilet and changing facilities that correspond with their gender identity."

I can't foresee any hormonal horny teenage boys taking advantage of this :P:P

Maybe the child "identifies" as an SS member.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

"The Being LGBT in Schools guide book advised schools to allow transgender students to wear the uniform they preferred and "access toilet and changing facilities that correspond with their gender identity."

so much projection there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I work in a place packed with teenage boys and we have gender neutral bathrooms, everyone just does their business and gets out of there. Do men think women are doing sexy things in the bathroom? We piss and **** like you!

so much projection there.

It's called having a realistic outlook. You too old to remember what school was like?? It's a maelstrom of raging hormones.

Lux23 wrote: »
    I work in a place packed with teenage boys and we have gender neutral bathrooms, everyone just does their business and gets out of there. Do men think women are doing sexy things in the bathroom? We piss and **** like you!

You miss the part about changing facilities. You be happy for your daughter to strip and shower while Mark from her maths class looks on, because he's identifying as a woman this week??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's called having a realistic outlook. You too old to remember what school was like?? It's a maelstrom of raging hormones.

admittedly it was a long time ago but i do remember it. Not sure i would have worn a skirt to school just so i could go into the girls toilets. To what end? you wouldn't see anything. Now it may be realistic from your perspective but you know ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Defeating Hitler is a bit pointless when you then go around demanding rigid conformity and promoting homophobia, no?

Are you saying that all cross dressers are gay?? Thats quite a sweeping statement.

No, I'm saying that defeating Hitler is a bit pointless when you then go around demanding rigid conformity and promoting homophobia.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

admittedly it was a long time ago but i do remember it. Not sure i would have worn a skirt to school just so i could go into the girls toilets. To what end? you wouldn't see anything. Now it may be realistic from your perspective but you know ...

And what did you do in the changing rooms before and after PE?? :rolleyes:

Advertisement