Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones school - gender neutral uniforms to be introduced.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I know it's possible to break down many things into ideologies, but this is considered a dangerous ideology by many people (trying to remove or dilute the the concept of gender).

What bothers me the most is how so many people here want to put their ideology above the welfare of kids. You can be absolutely sure the boys showing up in skirts will be bullied beyond belief.

Please stop reverting to insults ("short-sighted"). I'm not going to respond to you anymore as you're unable to be civil.

You seem to feel you have a monopoly on wanting the best for children. If bullies are a problem in a school then the school needs to deal with the bullies. Putting the responsibility to not be bullied on the victim is an outrageously irresponsible thing to advocate. Do you tell rape victims to stop wearing such short skirts, too?

A skirt isn't going to do a boy any harm; the only harm he'll get is from people like you, and you can prevent that happening by just opening your mind a little bit.

And I'm sorry you feel insulted by my 'short-sighted' criticism, but if you can't see your own ideology for what it is then that is an accurate description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You really believe the idea that bathrooms should be gender neutral (as part of a boys can wear skirts to school policy) is not an ideology?

Yep. I've seen plenty of gender neutral bathrooms (i.e - unisex toilets) that were not part of an ideology
    I don't think you can compare using your bathroom at home to using a gender neutral bathroom at school. If you're a woman you probably know lots of women are weird about pooping in a women's toilet.

I can, and just did. Unisex bathrooms and have been around for long since before I was born (and let me tell you, that wasn't recent), for some reason you've chosen to have a problem with them now.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You have a serious chip on your shoulder, you think confusing children at a young age furthers your ideology because you think what you think should be the norm. You think because this isn't the norm it must be oppressing boys and girls? Not every societal norm is oppressive. do some research on how this is affecting children in America and Britain where this nonsense has been introduced unchecked. You can pedal insults at everyone who disagrees with you all you like it's not going to change what the vast majority of sensible people who are actually concerned about young children think.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that this policy was requested by the student council. No one is forcing anything here. The students feel it is fair to allow them to wear whichever uniform suits them. These conspiracy theories about some global movement to confuse children are just paranoid ramblings.

The students are happy with it, the school is happy with it; the only people with a problem are some keyboard warrior conservatives scared of a future they don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Sports are already being destroyed by the ideologues.

Here's a biological male legally knocking out a biological female:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U4KGz72SEg

As sports one by one allows males to compete alongside women, soon every champion will be male.

I really don't see what the end goal is here - a minority of men who think they're women want society to think they're women too?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

Zillah wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be forgetting that this policy was requested by the student council. No one is forcing anything here. The students feel it is fair to allow them to wear whichever uniform suits them. These conspiracy theories about some global movement to confuse children are just paranoid ramblings.

The students are happy with it, the school is happy with it; the only people with a problem are some keyboard warrior conservatives scared of a future they don't understand.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7767662/students-school-17-pupils-changing-gender-autistic/
    Adults have to make decisions in the best interest of their children, that's called being a grown up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Well they won’t suffer fools. Self loathing is inherent in humans anyway.

You’re ok with self loathing?

I’m not. I can teach my children to love themselves and not tolerate stupidity at the same time. I can teach them to be functioning, well adjusted adults and not care if other men wear skirts. My parents did it for me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Sports are already being destroyed by the ideologues.

Here's a biological male legally knocking out a biological female:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U4KGz72SEg

As sports one by one allows males to compete alongside women, soon every champion will be male.

I really don't see what the end goal is here - a minority of men who think they're women want society to think they're women too?

Kind of just going off on a bit of an anti-transgender rant now, aren't we? Good to see you drop the pretence.

Kind of just going off on a bit of an anti-transgender rant now, aren't we? Good to see you drop the pretence.

I knew it was a matter of time before someone accused me of being anti-transgender. Not surprised it's the guy who can't have a civil conversation.

It's truly pathetic how people with your sort of ideologies always have to resort to name calling because you have no real arguments.

Adding you to my ignore list, so rant away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I imagine almost none of the boys will ever wear a skirt. So what's the problem?

Maybe some crazy parent will make their son wear a skirt.
    Then his friends in school, will feel like they should be wearing skirts.
    Before you know it you'll have a school full of boys wearing skirts and most of them not wanting to. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think it's wrong to put little children out in the front line of the gender wars going on at the moment. We need to be a lot further down the road of sorting out all the ramifications of gender fluidity & people self identifying for adults & young adults first before involving such young children in it all. And besides school is the wrong place to carry out social experiments on children, when it is the children that carry the cost of said experimenting. We like to think of school as safe spaces but if they truly were, there wouldn't be the level of bullying going on there that there is. Much better to let a little boy wear a dress outside of school on occasions where his parents are standing by to support him.

That these children came up with this request themselves suggests to me that at their tender years they know too much about a subject that they shouldn't know about at all considering it affects a tiny, tiny minority of people. Course it only takes one, one whose parents are determined they must grow up to be progressive above all else, ironically so their child will fit in with their kind. Able to think for themselves, my eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

All beliefs are ideology. You have strong and arbitrary beliefs around gender; you have defined the traits that you feel represent a boy or a girl, including strict rules on what kinds of clothes they must or must not wear. This and versions of it has been the reigning ideology for a long time and it has done untold damage to gay and transgender people in society, as well as everyone else by forcing men and women to conform to very limiting definitions of acceptable behaviour causing all kinds of harm.

You're just so short-sighted that you can't even recognise your own ideology as such.

They are hardly arbitrary, they are generally going to revolve around perceived best ways to raise children to be competent adults in the future.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Mrsmum wrote: »
    And besides school is the wrong place to carry out social experiments on children, when it is the children that carry the cost of said experimenting.

Jesus Christ it's a dress, we're not putting them in a gamma ray chamber.
    silverharp wrote: »
    They are hardly arbitrary, they are generally going to revolve around perceived best ways to raise children to be competent adults in the future.

Thou male childe shall not wear a single length of clothe wrapped around his legs, suche childe shall only wear clothe that hath been divided into two lengths, one for each leg. To do otherwise is deviancy.

Sounds pretty arbitrary to me. Especially when we have kilts. Tell you what, how about whenever a boy wears a skirt we'll just call it a kilt, would ye feel better that way?

I knew it was a matter of time before someone accused me of being anti-transgender.

Does it happen to you a lot? Maybe there is a lesson for you to learn there.

Does it happen to you a lot? Maybe there is a lesson for you to learn there.

That's an appropriate and tolerant approach to arguing a point are you not supposed to be the young progressive liberal type.

Oh no I'm very combative, especially when it comes to people hiding their prejudices behind "won't someone please think of the children?!".

I'm also probably no younger than you, I'm just capable of pulling my mind out of a regressive 20th century mindset.

its not a big deal its only a skirt

so whats the big deal with not wearing it

Oh no I'm very combative, especially when it comes to people hiding their prejudices behind "won't someone please think of the children?!".

I'm also probably no younger than you, I'm just capable of pulling my mind out of a regressive 20th century mindset.

They are children though you realise that, you think they should be used to further your agenda? There you go with the insults again, for shame...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

To the people saying this isn't an ideology or there's nothing wrong with it:

Let's say a Muslim principal in a tax payer funded school in Greystones said she's introducing a policy where the female students can start wearing a burka and hijab if they want, and the kids will now have to use their right hand or left hand only when using the toilet.

Would you think this is "getting with the times" and not a principal implementing an ideology, or would you very much see it as the principal implementing their ideology in the school?

Because that's what's happening here. You just don't see it as an ideology because it's already your own ideology.

I can't believe it.

Someone has managed to bring the Muslims into a thread about a school in Greystones changing their uniform policy.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

I imagine almost none of the boys will ever wear a skirt. So what's the problem?

Yea almost all of them won’t but some poor fairy is going to go into school one day with a dress on and get the absolute **** kicked out of him
    We are a strange people in this country, we have an issue with Muslim women wearing burkas yet we think it’s ok for boys to wear skirts, wtf?
    We need to be respectful to the various religions in this country too, and to different nationalities who see this as offensive
    Where does it end? Do the boys with the skirts use the girls toilets? Will they be on the camogie team? I think we need to start drawing the line somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Yea almost all of them won’t but some poor fairy is going to go into school one day with a dress on and get the absolute **** kicked out of him
    We are a strange people in this country, we have an issue with Muslim women wearing burkas yet we think it’s ok for boys to wear skirts, wtf?
    We need to be respectful to the various religions in this country too, and to different nationalities who see this as offensive
    Where does it end? Do the boys with the skirts use the girls toilets? Will they be on the camogie team? I think we need to start drawing the line somewhere

I'm pretty certain it's the same people who have an issue with the burka and the skirts. And they only respect their own religion.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ it's a dress, we're not putting them in a gamma ray chamber.

Thou male childe shall not wear a single length of clothe wrapped around his legs, suche childe shall only wear clothe that hath been divided into two lengths, one for each leg. To do otherwise is deviancy.

Sounds pretty arbitrary to me. Especially when we have kilts. Tell you what, how about whenever a boy wears a skirt we'll just call it a kilt, would ye feel better that way?

Would you rock into work wearing your pj's ?, it's all arbitrary and shiiit. Or would it be a sign you were having a mental breakdown?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Political correctness has literally gone mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Has anyone actually read on how this came about?
    I suggest you do before you post ...it was the kids requested it not the adults.

I suggest you do before you post ...it was the kids requested it not the adults.

Thats why tumblr is banned in my house. Don't do tumblr kids!

In fairness, kids are stupid. There's a reason we make many things "Over 18s" only.

Will they [the boys in skirts] be on the camogie team?

You can be absolutely certain this is coming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Kids can't even change their name without parents consent until their 18, they can't even do it with parents consent until they're 14 but they're apparantly old enough at 8 or 9 to know they're a girl if they're born a boy. :pac::pac::pac:

Kids can't even change their name without parents consent until their 18, they can't even do it with parents consent until they're 14 but they're apparantly old enough at 8 or 9 to know they're a girl if they're born a boy. :pac::pac::pac:

When I was 6 I liked to dress as Wonder Woman.

Why?

Because I was a child and children are children.

Imagine my progressive parents chose to put me on hormone blocking medication and ruined my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

To the people saying this isn't an ideology or there's nothing wrong with it:

Let's say a Muslim principal in a tax payer funded school in Greystones said she's introducing a policy where the female students can start wearing a burka and hijab if they want, and the kids will now have to use their right hand or left hand only when using the toilet.

Would you think this is "getting with the times" and not a principal implementing an ideology, or would you very much see it as the principal implementing their ideology in the school?

Because that's what's happening here. You just don't see it as an ideology because it's already your own ideology.

To me this is giving female students a free choice and not the implementation of an ideology.

• Advertisement

To me this is giving female students a free choice and not the implementation of an ideology.

The difference is they're not saying you can wear a Kippah (little Jewish hat), they're introducing their own particular ideology (Islam).

Change what my imaginary principal said to "we accept all religions here, so you can wear whatever religious clothes you want" and then I agree with you.

Advertisement