Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones school - gender neutral uniforms to be introduced.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

namloc1980 wrote: »
    “We have children who are questioning their sexual identity. It is happening at an earlier age. We want all our children to have a happy experience in school".

It's a primary school FFS. Let children be children.

Agree, looks like the schools now are sucked into the process of having children 'grow up' younger and younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

this was prompted by the students themselves.

Surprised they didn't request Disney Princess or X Men optional uniforms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Schools are great at this sort of rubbish. But when it comes to tackling bullying, look at how poor Ana Kriegel was treated. You can be sure similar is going on across the country. Maybe they should get their priorities straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Balanadan wrote: »
    There was a male teacher in my school called Suzie. Not sure if that was his real name or a nickname.

Chriost Ri in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Well Alan Hughes on tv3 sitting with a heavy jacket and skin tight shorts on at the moment in studio agrees with it. Says it all really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 embers_fire

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    It's cowardly. If you raise your child to kowtow to bullies, you are raising a coward.

As for what the bullied child (and their parents) should do: go to the teachers, go to the other kids' parents, go to the police. There are different avenues.

So you're saying a bullied child should stand up for himself by not facing his bullies but getting other people to sort them out? Yes, I can agree with that. I thought you were suggesting they should directly square up to bullies.
    But I would imagine the bullies would still come after him, even more so in that situation, when there are no parents, teachers, guards or others around.
    I'm still in favour of trying to avoid any instigation of bullying. Which is something which would frequently occur if a boy started wearing a skirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So you're saying a bullied child should stand up for himself by not facing his bullies but getting other people to sort them out? Yes, I can agree with that. I thought you were suggesting they should directly square up to bullies.
    But I would imagine the bullies would still come after him, even more so in that situation, when there are no parents, teachers, guards or others around.
    I'm still in favour of trying to avoid any instigation of bullying. Which is something which would frequently occur if a boy started wearing a skirt.

Bit harsh: if you raise a kid with self esteem and the ability to try and resolve conflicts, they will neither kowtow to bullies nor have to suffer them.

That said, schools bringing in a zero-tolerance stance to bullying along side a gender-neutral uniform policy would also be a good move.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BookNerd

Which is something which would frequently occur if a boy started wearing a skirt.

Realistically the boy wearing the skirt will be identifying as female anyway and will also have other elements of their appearance matching the gender they identify with (for example, long hair, makeup, jewelry)

Most people won't even notice the child is "a boy in a skirt".
    The people the child is in school with may know about the transition and should absolutely be taught not to bully the child. And seeing as the children in the school voted for this it's unlikely the majority will start bullying. And if a minority do then they are the problem and should be dealt with accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Any little boy that is allowed wear a skirt into school is not going to be able to cope with any adversity in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It depends on each individual case but ultimately it's up to the parents to help protect their children from abuse of any kind, even from their peers.

Punitive measures should be in place to prevent the re-occurence of bullying. If it persists keep it going until it stops.

As for avoiding any instigation of bullying: I don't think children should be raised to prostrate themselves in front of more powerful people. It breeds weakness.

• Advertisement

That's the perfect ingredients to create an environment for unrelenting bullying.

Is this PC gone mad?

This came about an a result of the student council, the children themselves came up with the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Knowing the lads that my daughter grew up with. I could see a bunch of them going into school wearing skirts just to be messers.

Nelson Muntz awaits Ha Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Surprised they didn't request Disney Princess or X Men optional uniforms.

NO, that would be allowing self expression. In a place of education.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

Any little boy that is allowed wear a skirt into school is not going to be able to cope with any adversity in life.

Au contraire! A boy who is brave enough to decide this for himself and go through with this is likely to do better in life than someone who wants to wear a skirt, yet is too afraid to do it. Remember, school uniforms need to be bought and they are not cheap, so parents need to be convinced first even if the school allows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

bubblypop wrote: »
    This came about an a result of the student council, the children themselves came up with the idea.

Next thing you know, they'll insist that all the stairs in the place are replaced with slides, and that lemonade comes out of the taps.

Someone already nailed it up thread anyway, just make the uniform genderless by making them all dress the same. Girls and boys alike in trousers (which have been worn by both sexes for years)

The lads in skirts is over egging the pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I, personally, don’t see the need for this “policy”, no one should wear skirts. Neither boys, nor girls. They are wholly unnecessary in our climate and forcing girls to wear them year in, year out, is very harsh in the winter months. How this relic of the country’s religious “pedo” past has been allowed continue for so long is beyond me.

Each school should have a “gender neutral” tracksuit or even a standard uniform comprising of a jumper, shirt, tie, trousers and shoes.

If you want tolerance and inclusion it should begin at home and we all know who is responsible for the kids who don’t seem to accept that other kids are different from them, the parents.

I was recently at an underage football match and while waiting on others I started to focus on a game that must have been under 12s. The kids were all pretty rubbish, everyone flailing around after the same ball. But there was one parent in particular, clad in a Man Utd jersey, standing on the sideline roaring at his, and other kids. The referee seemed afraid of him as he is supposed to police the sidelines as well as the game.

Anyway, this prick gets particularly irate at, who I presume, is his son after he lost possession nearby. He strides onto the pitch, face puce with rage, and gruffly grabs the kid telling him that if loses the ball like that he should be giving the other player “a good kick” then adding “sure he’s only a little puff”, apologies for the language but that’s what he said. I complained to the ref but he did nothing, I also told that sorry excuse for a man that he was a disgrace and should be ashamed of himself.

Until we have parents raising their kids with a standard set of values we’re going to continue with kids acting out against others as they really don’t know any better.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Schools are great at this sort of rubbish. But when it comes to tackling bullying, look at how poor Ana Kriegel was treated. You can be sure similar is going on across the country. Maybe they should get their priorities straight.

You mean the girl who was bullied and isolated for not being accepted as different?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I have an extremely radical idea. What about abandoning uniforms and letting kids wear whatever they want.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

meeeeh wrote: »
    I have an extremely radical idea. What about abandoning uniforms and letting kids wear whatever they want.

Apparently that will lead to anarchy of biblical proportions.. despite the fact it seems to work pretty well in almost every other European country except for us and our former colonial masters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Reati wrote: »
    No. The problem is people who give a **** what other people wear or do with their lives and need to make a life time crusade to stop people doing it.

If people stopped worrying more about what other people were doing or wearing and focus that energy somewhere useful we might actually get real problems sorted.

You have it arseways, It's those who push for " gender neutral" atire who are keen on sticking their beak into other people's affairs

Clearly this is another example of the progressive left agenda infiltrating the education system, consent classes were another

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

this was prompted by the students themselves.

If your son/daughter comes home from school tomorrow and says from now on we're only in school from 9-11am, prompted by the students, aged 4-12, would you say fair enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    You have it arseways, It's those who push for " gender neutral" atire who are keen on sticking their beak into other people's affairs

you mean the people who want children to be allowed to wear what they want? how is that sticking their beak into other peoples affairs? now, people who say that boys must wear this set of clothes and girls must wear a different ARE sticking their beak in other peoples affairs. you seem to have things backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I imagine almost none of the boys will ever wear a skirt. So what's the problem?

During the hot weather last year, boys were forced to wear trousers, no shorts allowed. If they can wear a nice breezy skirt, I suppose that's a compromise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

You mean the girl who was bullied and isolated for not being accepted as different?
    Yeah the school handled that very well didn't it? You think they will be able to stop a boy in a skirt getting bullied? A boy in a skirt will never be accepted. He will be a target from day 1. I'm not saying it's right I'm saying it will happen. And as we've seen time and again the schools will do zero to address any bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If your son/daughter comes home from school tomorrow and says from now on we're only in school from 9-11am, prompted by the students, aged 4-12, would you say fair enough??

tha analogy is nearly as stupid as the one i replied to earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

bubblypop wrote: »

Why are kids aged 4-12 shaping school policy?? Its absolutely ridiculous. Pandering to attention seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,950 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

But in a school?

That's the perfect ingredients to create an environment for unrelenting bullying.

Is this PC gone mad?

When is there a better time to normalise, and thus likely reduce bullying, of 'males' who are more comfortable in themselves when wearing a dress?

"PC gone mad?"... Allowing people to dress how they prefer/feel comfortable. No one is being forced to do or not do anything. how on earth could it be PC gone mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

You can bet that it is a bunch of "woke" parents that planted this bollocks in the kids heads.

Absolutely sick of this stuff.

Will not vote for any party that endorses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

what does gender neutral for a Primary school kid even mean ?

You are born male or female, if as an adult you want to make an adult decision no problem , I was never fond of school uniforms, but encouraging young boys to wear dresses , is a step way to far for me by the so Poliically correct auhorities - for practical reasons young girls wearing trousers is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,950 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Clearly this is another example of the progressive left agenda infiltrating the education system, consent classes were another

No. YOU have it is arseways.

You telling my kid what they can and cannot wear is you sticking your beak in.
    You not telling my kid what they can and cannot wear is you NOT sticking your beak in.

Allowing something is not sticking your beak in. Banning it, is.

Advertisement