Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones school - gender neutral uniforms to be introduced.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No. YOU have it is arseways.

You telling my kid what they can and cannot wear is you sticking your beak in.
    You not telling my kid what they can and cannot wear is you NOT sticking your beak in.

Allowing something is not sticking your beak in. Banning it, is.

apologies, i read your post backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

tha analogy is nearly as stupid as the one i replied to earlier.

Should 4-12 year olds be shaping school policy?? Its ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Reati wrote: »
    No. The problem is people who give a **** what other people wear or do with their lives and need to make a life time crusade to stop people doing it.

If people stopped worrying more about what other people were doing or wearing and focus that energy somewhere useful we might actually get real problems sorted.

'Something's not worth doing unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it' - Terry Pratchett

thebaz wrote: »
    what does gender neutral for a Primary school kid even mean ?

You are born male or female, if as an adult you want to make an adult decision no problem , I was never fond of school uniforms, but encouraging young boys to wear dresses , is a step way to far for me by the so Poliically correct auhorities - for practical reasons young girls wearing trousers is ok.

who is encouraging boys to wear skirts?

not as ridiculous as your attempts at making analogies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,950 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

what does gender neutral for a Primary school kid even mean ?

You are born male or female, if as an adult you want to make an adult decision no problem , I was never fond of school uniforms, but encouraging young boys to wear dresses , is a step way to far for me by the so Poliically correct auhorities - for practical reasons young girls wearing trousers is ok.

THis is you insisting on your world view for everyone. This is you deciding a kid who feels comfortable a different way than you, is simply being encouraged by some demonic left wing agenda, rather than simply being given the option to be who/how they want to be.

It isn't encouraging them to wear dresses for a political point, it is encouraging boys, who likely don't identify with that identity, that it is ok to be themselves, and express who they are.

You can bet that it is a bunch of "woke" parents that planted this bollocks in the kids heads.

Absolutely sick of this stuff.

Will not vote for any party that endorses it.

First sentence - is possible.
    Second sentence - is possibly disgusting, imo.,
    Third sentence is absolutely disgusting, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

4-12 year olds should have a voice regarding what they wear, yes. Why not? Perhaps not for more challenging topics such as the curriculum or if water or lemonade come out of the taps but kids should have opportunities to practice some degree of agency while they're growing up lest they graduate from school and emerge as unthinking drones. Though in my experience most Irish people would prefer that.

not as ridiculous as your attempts at making analogies.

It's not an analogy. Primary children are aged 4-12. The decision was made by the student council in a primary school.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    4-12 year olds should have a voice regarding what they wear, yes. Why not? Perhaps not for more challenging topics such as the curriculum or if water or lemonade come out of the taps but kids should have opportunities to practice some degree of agency while they're growing up lest they graduate from school and emerge as unthinking drones. Though in my experience most Irish people would prefer that.

Because they are f'king children!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I think our lizard overlords are just messing with us now…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

THis is you insisting on your world view for everyone. This is you deciding a kid who feels comfortable a different way than you, is simply being encouraged by some demonic left wing agenda, rather than simply being given the option to be who/how they want to be.

It isn't encouraging them to wear dresses for a political point, it is encouraging boys, who likely don't identify with that identity, that it is ok to be themselves, and express who they are.

this is me saying , that Primary kids or ther parents should not be deciding about being Gender neutral or changing ther gender at such a young age - it is an adult decision , and a decision they may regret when becoming an adult. Thats it .

It's not an analogy. Primary children are aged 4-12. The decision was made by the student council in a primary school.

you really need to learn how to read. the decision was not made the student council. i have bolded the appropriate word below to assist you.
    Máire Costello, the school principal, said the move was prompted by the school’s student council and had been agreed by the school’s board of management and parents.

So.... kids decided how kids should be treated. I'm really impressed by their open-minded attitude to the differences of people.

If only some adults could learn from their example.

this is me saying , that Primary kids or ther parents should not be deciding about being Gender neutral or changing ther gender at such a young age - it is an adult decision , and a decision they may regret when becoming an adult. Thats it .

Cool, force someone to hide who they are til they are 18. What could possibly go wrong.

Do you have the number for Samaritans handy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah the school handled that very well didn't it? You think they will be able to stop a boy in a skirt getting bullied? A boy in a skirt will never be accepted. He will be a target from day 1. I'm not saying it's right I'm saying it will happen. And as we've seen time and again the schools will do zero to address any bullying.

How many of the boys who would choose to wear a skirt would have been bullied regardless because they are different? Every last one of them. If you keep telling kids that everyone has to be the same they will continue to struggle to accept those who are different. I see more hope in changing the message rather than trying to suppress it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

When is there a better time to normalise, and thus likely reduce bullying, of 'males' who are more comfortable in themselves when wearing a dress?

"PC gone mad?"... Allowing people to dress how they prefer/feel comfortable. No one is being forced to do or not do anything. how on earth could it be PC gone mad.

See my post above.

Wouldn't it amount to being genderless already if both boys and girls wore the same uniform?

A fella in a skirt, is the opposite of genderless uniform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Because they are f'king children!!
    You think children should have absolutely no input whatsoever into their own lives? So they can't have their own beliefs or think for themselves or show any inclination towards independent reasoning? What a load of ****e.

Cool, force someone to hide who they are til they are 18. What could possibly go wrong.

Do you have the number for Samaritans handy?

I said Primary school kids - should ther be no age limit when making such a big decision ?

I said Primary school kids - should ther be no age limit when making such a big decision ?

the decision to wear a skirt if they want to?

• Advertisement

See my post above.

Wouldn't it amount to being genderless already if both boys and girls wore the same uniform?

A fella in a skirt, is the opposite of genderless uniform

I would agree the uniform retains a gender connotation. But in this instance I don't see it as a gender neutral uniform, but a genderless policy. Which I have no issue with.

No, you said let them make an adult decision when they are an adult. Or are you saying a 1st year secondary school student is an adult?

No, you said let them make an adult decision when they are an adult. Or are you saying a 1st year secondary school student is an adult?

it was the fact that it was a primary school that I took issue with it - made my point - saying no more - but I too am allowed an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

So many people have a problem with children not wanting to wear skirts or trousers.
    Why the fk do you care so much. How does it affect you in any way? It can be a massive thing for a child to be forced to wear something they don't want to wear.
    You wouldn't like to be forced to wear a hijab, so why force a girl to wear a skirt.

it was the fact that it was a primary school that I took issue with it - made my point - saying no more - but I too am allowed an opinion.

And I am allowed to think your opinion is wrong, and state my reasons for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 embers_fire

Woke Hogan wrote: »

As for avoiding any instigation of bullying: I don't think children should be raised to prostrate themselves in front of more powerful people. It breeds weakness.

I think you need to pick your battles. Standing up for your choice to wear a skirt is a hard one to fight. Kids will see your choice as an easy thing to pick on and it could be relentless even if you decide you don't like wearing a skirt anymore.
    I'd like to think kids are more considerate today than when I was in school but I'd imagine you're always going to get a few little s**** who will start some trouble both inside and outside school. And it's hard to enforce punishment on any child.
    On a side note, I don't think it even needs to be a gender thing. I think kids should be allowed wear what they want regardless of how they identify. But a uniform code is more of a practical consideration for the school and parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The decision was NOT made by the student council! The idea was SUGGESTED by the students.

Again - this weird idea of letting kids actually express an idea in a primary school is the idea yo ucan't get your head around.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I think you need to pick your battles. Standing up for your choice to wear a skirt is a hard one to fight. Kids will see your choice as an easy thing to pick on and it could be relentless even if you decide you don't like wearing a skirt anymore.
    I'd like to think kids are more considerate today than when I was in school but I'd imagine you're always going to get a few little s**** who will start some trouble both inside and outside school. And it's hard to enforce punishment on any child.
    On a side note, I don't think it even needs to be a gender thing. I think kids should be allowed wear what they want regardless of how they identify. But a uniform code is more of a practical consideration for the school and parents.

So the student council, the kids, prompted this - but we shouldn't respect their opinion that kids should be allowed to be who they are, because kids won't tollerate other kids being who they are?

The decision was NOT made by the student council! The idea was SUGGESTED by the students.

Again - this weird idea of letting kids actually express an idea in a primary school is the idea yo ucan't get your head around.

children should be seen and not heard apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Imagine being annoyed at this?

Advertisement