Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones school - gender neutral uniforms to be introduced.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I don't understand why boys wearing skirts is seen as such an issue. Girls have been forced to wear them for years with little regard, so I fail to see how all of a sudden wearing a skirt is so terrible.

I heard the segment on Newstalk on the school spokeperson was reasonable and considerate but Shane Coleman came across as a complete loon, unable to get his head around any boy ever wearing a skirt.

As the schoolperson said, they will not be making anyone do anything outside the dress code, they can use trousers, shorts, skirt of whatever, It is about equality and choice.

If you remember back when we had the discussions on gay adoption we had the same people expressing their "concern" about children of gay parents being bullied in order to justify denying the right to homosexuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭cgcsb

MrFresh wrote: »
    If you remember back when we had the discussions on gay adoption we had the same people expressing their "concern" about children of gay parents being bullied in order to justify denying the right to homosexuals.

The kids normally go first under the bus to justify the prejudice of adults

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

100%, it's attention they want. My local football team had a "Tranny Bingo" night, with some senior players dressing in drag and doing bingo to raise money for the juvenile section of the club. Sold out and was great craic, everyone enjoyed the night and the club made a good bit of money for the underage teams.

But a week beforehand, someone decided to contact Dublin Live and a few other newspapers to complain about the term "Tranny Bingo" stating that they no longer felt safe in the village after seeing a sign advertising it.

Thats the mentality you are dealing with. What % of the population are trans etc and why are they getting such excessive airtime??

Wasn't that in Donegal, the bastion of conservatism? Bible belt stuff up there in Donegal. That slur was opposed because it's what the murderers of trans people say (die "that slur" die) to the trans victims when they murder them.

Social conservatives getting upset over an item of clothing in this case of the school, they are the ones getting "such excessive airtime" in their outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Tranny is short for transvestite, a man that dresses as a woman. Part of most, if not all, tranny acts is lewd, bawdy comedy. Shirley Temple Bar does it in The George.

You seem to be confusing drag acts with transvestism. And tranny is perjorative but i'm sure you know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,608 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Tranny is short for transvestite, a man that dresses as a woman. Part of most, if not all, tranny acts is lewd, bawdy comedy. Shirley Temple Bar does it in The George.

I've heard "tranny" refer to transgender or transvestite, both of which are two different things - and you're actually talking about "drag acts" (at least I think you are) which is a third thing.

Shirley Temple Bar also did Telly Bingo which was most certainly not bawdy or lewd.

All of which has nothing to do with a school uniform policy.

Again - the kids seem to have put more rationale into this than you have.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Here's my experience. Kids in Primary are very non judgemental & accepting of differences. They mostly get together with their class at 4 or 5 years of age, grow up together and Johnny or Mary who are a bit different are just Johnny or Mary no matter what they're wearing. But then they get to secondary school and that's where I've seen a big change. This happens for a variety of reasons : they suddenly become aware of themselves, sex , gender, 'cool', sporty, geek etc and they want to categorize everyone else also, they get less secure, not more about hanging around with kids who are different and only want to be in a 'same as me' group, boys especially very often don't want a gay friend lest they be considered gay themselves, they are a lot less influenced by parents and home and far more influenced by peers. What clothes you wear becomes very important. All this isn't done to be cruel to someone but to protect themselves. As one example, but not the only one I've seen, my son had a boy in his class all during primary, not sure if the boy was just arty, gay, transgender or what but he would wear make up, nail varnish etc to school (when no one else was allowed to I might add as an aside) and both girl and boy clothes outside of school. The kids didn't give a damn but now sad but true they are in secondary school and they most certainly do care. It's sad that they become less accepting of others during the teenage years but they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

cgcsb wrote: »
    Ah would you stop. It's up to current society to decide what serves us well. Previous generations had traditional marital rapes, but we're much more civilised now. If you have any experience of the world of business, science, medicine, engineering or politics, saying things like 'because it's always been', will typically fall on deaf ears for being the thoughtless nonsense it is. We have a brain so that we can continuously review our behavior and change if need be.

Society hasn't decided that boy's wearing skirts in school is healthy, a well resourced and highly influential ideological Liberal elite with unconditional media access has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

This'll end up with 'little Johnny' getting bullied and having the p1ss taking outta him whilst getting FB shares of him in his skirt.

Can't be good for a child in national school.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Society hasn't decided that boy's wearing skirts in school is healthy,

healthy? like are girls unhealthy having worn skirts for a long time? What are you blithering on about?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    This'll end up with 'little Johnny' getting bullied and having the p1ss taking outta him whilst getting FB shares of him in his skirt.

And the best way to prevent bullying is to enforce conformity?

• Advertisement

healthy? like are girls unhealthy having worn skirts for a long time? What are you blithering on about?

Girls are girls, boys are boys

I see no reason long term why arguments can't be made for boys using tampons, apparently there is no difference between the sexes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I think if ye didn't take his quote out of context you would have realised that it's not the 'physical' health being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

a well resourced and highly influential ideological Liberal elite with unconditional media access has

Your next post will be blaming Soros like a certain homegrown Gemma!

So ban the victim instead of the bully?

Girls are girls, boys are boys

I see no reason long term why arguments can't be made for boys using tampons, apparently there is no difference between the sexes

Well boys don't have vaginas generally speaking, so using a tampon is a very different prospect from wearing a garment.

What is your health argument against skirts? are males allergic to the fabric?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Why is bullying always mentioned as a reason not to do something. Nobody will force boys to wear skirts. If they feel bullied and feel uncomfortable wearing skirts they can still wear trousers.

I'm not a fan of school uniforms, I understand there are some arguments for everyone looking similar. But once there is some uniformity in colors and available items, does it really matter if girls wear trousers or boys wear skirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,214 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Society hasn't decided that boy's wearing skirts in school is healthy, a well resourced and highly influential ideological Liberal elite with unconditional media access has

What a load of alt-right trump supporting bigoted nonsense.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Why is bullying always mentioned as a reason not to do something. Nobody will force boys to wear skirts. If they feel bullied and feel uncomfortable wearing skirts they can still wear trousers.

I'm not a fan of school uniforms, I understand there are some arguments for everyone looking similar. But once there is some uniformity in colors and available items, does it really matter if girls wear trousers or boys wear skirts.

It's called being a concern troll. It's a method of opposing something by pretending to be in favour of it but for some "concerns".

Well boys don't have vaginas generally speaking, so using a tampon is a very different prospect from wearing a garment.

What is your health argument against skirts? are males allergic to the fabric?

Women aren't allergic to burkas either but I don't wish them to wear them

Encouraging boy's to wear skirts is a political act, its a fcuk you to traditional custom re_school atire

What a load of alt-right trump supporting bigoted nonsense.

Good on ye, you managed to squeeze all the slogans into one sentence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,608 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think if ye didn't take his quote out of context you would have realised that it's not the 'physical' health being discussed.

Conformity is not physical, what's your point?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,210 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

In hindsight, skirts would've been the job come May every year. Let the liathroidi breath.

Instead I was wearing gray/black pants, sitting in ball soup with the sun bating in the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,214 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Good on ye, you managed to squeeze all the slogans into one sentence

Yeah, I used your elite liberal ideological waffle statement as a base.

I'm actually shocked you have a Pride avatar. I can only assume you have picked it either ironically or you just thought they were neat colours.

Boys are boys!
    Boys can't wear skirts!
    Any boy wearing one has been forced to by them Liberals!

Disgusting, bigoted, closed-minded, commentary.

Yeah, I used your elite liberal ideological waffle statement as a base.

I'm actually shocked you have a Pride avatar. I can only assume you have picked it either ironically or you just thought they were neat colours.

Boys are boys!
    Boys can't wear skirts!
    Any boy wearing one has been forced to by them Liberals!

Disgusting, bigoted, closed-minded, commentary.

Don't know how I got it ( avatar)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I was reading a BBC article the other day about how some gay men are defying the rules around blood donation.

Anyway, in a comments thread underneath the article on one of the social media sites, a poster asked “What about transgender people?”, saying they identify as a woman so the rules shouldn’t apply to them. People tried to point out that blood doesn’t care what you identify as. It’s cold, hard science, not discrimination. So when it comes to blood donation, you need to say what sex you were born with and what sex the people you sleep with were born with. That this is not the place to play victim. The person dug their heels in and was not getting it at all.

At that point, I dropped my phone with Declan Nerney’s ‘Stop The World And Let Me Off’ playing in my head.

Please everyone, as someone who got blood transfusions regularly in the past and will again in the future, please follow the rules for blood transfusion. My health is more important than your feelings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

When I heard this story on the news this morning it reminded me of a recent Ross O Carroll Kelly book.

Ross's daughter, in an attempt at getting attention while her parents were separated, decided to identify as a male. He/She was going to an all girls school and managed to force the school into getting 20-something types of different toilets to be built for all different gender identities. Unfortunately this led to the school being less 3 or 4 classrooms to accommodate the different toilets.

I was reading a BBC article the other day about how some gay men are defying the rules around blood donation.

Anyway, in a comments thread underneath the article on one of the social media sites, a poster asked “What about transgender people?”, saying they identify as a woman so the rules shouldn’t apply to them. People tried to point out that blood doesn’t care what you identify as. It’s cold, hard science, not discrimination. So when it comes to blood donation, you need to say what sex you were born with and what sex the people you sleep with were born with. That this is not the place to play victim. The person dug their heels in and was not getting it at all.

At that point, I dropped my phone with Declan Nerney’s ‘Stop The World And Let Me Off’ playing in my head.

Please everyone, as someone who got blood transfusions regularly in the past and will again in the future, please follow the rules for blood transfusion. My health is more important than your feelings.

What do you mean when you say blood doesn't care what you identify as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

In my 43 years on this planet I'm fairly certain I've never even met a transgender person. Yet I'm suddenly supposed to believe that this is so common that even primary schools need to be worrying about it.
    The school is also phasing out boys’ and girls’ toilets and replaced them with gender neutral versions.

This is the kind of shite that will cause serious problems.

If you want to put up a third set of toilet stalls all well and good, but phasing out the existing toilets for a nonexistent problem is absolute madness. Next thing you know someone will be suing the school because their daughter was harassed or sexually assaulted in the toilets.

In my 43 years on this planet I'm fairly certain I've never even met a transgender person. Yet I'm suddenly supposed to believe that this is so common that even primary schools need to be worrying about it.

This is the kind of shite that will cause serious problems.

If you want to put up a third set of toilet stalls all well and good, but phasing out the existing toilets for a nonexistent problem is absolute madness. Next thing you know someone will be suing the school because their daughter was harassed or sexually assaulted in the toilets.

Because girls only get sexually harassed in toilets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

MrFresh wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say blood doesn't care what you identify as?

I'd say you know exactly what he meant.

Advertisement