Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones school - gender neutral uniforms to be introduced.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Women aren't allergic to burkas either but I don't wish them to wear them

You are claiming there's a health reason though. I think you also over estimate how much your input into other people's attire is desired or required.
    Encouraging boy's to wear skirts is a political act, its a fcuk you to traditional custom re_school atire
    Tradition is never a good reason for forcing anyone to do anything.

J. Marston wrote: »
    In hindsight, skirts would've been the job come May every year. Let the liathroidi breath.

Instead I was wearing gray/black pants, sitting in ball soup with the sun bating in the window.

I was thinking the same thing, even a pair of shorts would have been welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

MrFresh wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say blood doesn't care what you identify as?

Well, say if you were born a man and you haven’t yet fully transitioned to being a woman. Now, your sexual partner could be female or male. If your sexual partner is male, then you are most likely having anal sex often. Straight couples of course can have anal sex too but much less regularly usually. Anal sex carries a much higher risk of transmission of HIV. The rules differ in every country but generally there are restrictions on the MSM category (men who have sex with men). If a person is living as a woman but is still a man anatomically and if they are sleeping with a man, they will fit into the MSM category for blood donation purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

I'd say you know exactly what he meant.

Not really. he seems to be contradicting himself. If blood doesn't care what you identify it as then what is the issue with identifying as the sex you prefer?

I was reading a BBC article the other day about how some gay men are defying the rules around blood donation.

Anyway, in a comments thread underneath the article on one of the social media sites, a poster asked “What about transgender people?”, saying they identify as a woman so the rules shouldn’t apply to them. People tried to point out that blood doesn’t care what you identify as. It’s cold, hard science, not discrimination. So when it comes to blood donation, you need to say what sex you were born with and what sex the people you sleep with were born with. That this is not the place to play victim. The person dug their heels in and was not getting it at all.

At that point, I dropped my phone with Declan Nerney’s ‘Stop The World And Let Me Off’ playing in my head.

Please everyone, as someone who got blood transfusions regularly in the past and will again in the future, please follow the rules for blood transfusion. My health is more important than your feelings.

If you are into cold hard science, then the pseudo science of arbitrarily banning gay men from donating blood should be something you are against.

• Advertisement

Well, say if you were born a man and you haven’t yet fully transitioned to being a woman. Now, your sexual partner could be female or male. If your sexual partner is male, then you are most likely having anal sex often. Straight couples of course can have anal sex too but much less regularly usually. Anal sex carries a much higher risk of transmission of HIV. The rules differ in every country but generally there are restrictions on the MSM category (men who have sex with men). If a person is living as a woman but is still a man anatomically and if they are sleeping with a man, they will fit into the MSM category for blood donation purposes.

But is that not a question which could easily be gender neutral without any issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Whatever helps you feel more oppressed.

I don't feel oppressed. I've never felt any type of oppression here, other than feeling hard done by by getting grounded when I was a child. Is this "oppression" you keep seeing based in reality?? Or just a buzzword you feel cool bandying about?? Do you use it to seek the approval of your peers? To show that you too notice "oppressed white males" and "toxic masculinity" and various other americanised buzzwords??

klaaaz wrote: »
    Wasn't that in Donegal, the bastion of conservatism? Bible belt stuff up there in Donegal. That slur was opposed because it's what the murderers of trans people say (die "that slur" die) to the trans victims when they murder them.

Social conservatives getting upset over an item of clothing in this case of the school, they are the ones getting "such excessive airtime" in their outrage.

Was in County Dublin. https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/north-dublin-soccer-club-apologises-16188495

cgcsb wrote: »
    If you are into cold hard science, then the pseudo science of arbitrarily banning gay men from donating blood should be something you are against.

It’s not arbitrary. And it’s not pseudoscience. :eek: As of now, there is good reasons for it. Some countries have more in-depth questionnaires that allow gay men to donate within the usual three months but there have been problems with that - people not realising that their sexual activity constituted high risk activity.

Blood donation centres probably don’t want to get into quizzing people about their sexual activity. A broad stroke restriction on a statistically high risk group makes more sense.

Blood donation will never be risk-free but there are a number of easy ways to cut risk. I’m glad the restrictions are there until more sensitive tests are developed. I just want as many risks as possible mitigated on the blood I receive. That’s all.

And rules are rules. People should campaign if they think it’s unfair. But putting ill people at risk to make a stand is unconscionable.

Girls are girls, boys are boys

I see no reason long term why arguments can't be made for boys using tampons, apparently there is no difference between the sexes

Yeah, or boys taking the odd day off school because, ya know, its that time of the month and the cramps are really sore. Won't be long before we've 'boys' having phantom periods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't really care to be honest.Once the kids have a fair idea of what's going on and nothing is pushed on them by an over pushy parent.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Faux-concern about bullying - check
    PC gone mad - check
    Let kids be kids - check
    Liberals etc - check

Must be another thread discussing social issues.

Here’s an idea for people who are ‘concerned’ - mind your own business.

I don't feel oppressed. I've never felt any type of oppression here, other than feeling hard done by by getting grounded when I was a child. Is this "oppression" you keep seeing based in reality?? Or just a buzzword you feel cool bandying about?? Do you use it to seek the approval of your peers? To show that you too notice "oppressed white males" and "toxic masculinity" and various other americanised buzzwords??

You keep expressing your "concerns" so.

Yeah, or boys taking the odd day off school because, ya know, its that time of the month and the cramps are really sore. Won't be long before we've 'boys' having phantom periods.

That would be awful wouldn't it? Imagine a kid faking an illness to get off school for a day? PC gone mad! Never happened in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

cgcsb wrote: »
    You are claiming there's a health reason though. I think you also over estimate how much your input into other people's attire is desired or required.

Tradition is never a good reason for forcing anyone to do anything.

Yes it is, experience teaches us what works - what is good practice , many traditional customs have served us well

Liberal arrogance is astounding, they believe they know what is best and all their new ideas must not even be questioned, never mind scrutinised

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Kivaro wrote: »
    You would think that those "enlightened" people who are pushing for these types of reforms in all aspects of our lives are the majority on this Island.
    They are not; they are a small vocal minority.

There will be a push-back one of these days.

One of these days? We aren't as advanced as we would like to think and some people think online culture transfers to the real world.

Unfortunately we can see with the Ana Kriegel case we are not so advanced, on top of everything she was also being badly bullied and excluded.

Bully is horrible and should not happen but it probably will.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

Not really. he seems to be contradicting himself. If blood doesn't care what you identify it as then what is the issue with identifying as the sex you prefer?

You cannot just identify as the sex you prefer, it's scientifically impossible, you are male or female, in rare cases there are intersex people who are not choosing to identify as that. Gender expression is a totally different thing that is constantly being confused with biological sex. You do not 'feel' like a woman or a man. A man can put on womens clothes but he is not then magically a woman and it does not entitle him to access women only spaces - bathrooms, changing rooms, women only sports etc.

But is that not a question which could easily be gender neutral without any issue?

Eh probably, as straight people are asked if they’ve had anal sex too. But honestly, if people are upset about how blood donation questionnaires are worded, they have little to be worrying about. That was my point really.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Faux-concern about bullying - check
    PC gone mad - check
    Let kids be kids - check
    Liberals etc - check

Must be another thread discussing social issues.

Here’s an idea for people who are ‘concerned’ - mind your own business.

What percentage of society does this "issue" effect??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Who gives a ****?

The people complaining about the boys being potentially bullied -- That's not an excuse. You could have made the same argument when girls began to wear slacks. Remember Katharine Hepburn? She got some stick in Hollywood when she decided to wear pants.

Here is an excerpt from a JUDGE in 1938 when a woman had the gall to wear pants in his courtroom.
    "Today you come back dressed in pants and openly defying the court and its duties to conduct judicial proceedings in an orderly manner. It's time a decision was reached on this matter and on the power the court has to maintain what it considers orderly conduct.

"The court hereby orders and directs you to return tomorrow in accepted dress. If you insist on wearing slacks again you will be prevented from testifying because that would hinder the administration of justice. But be prepared to be punished according to law for contempt of court."

Source

• Advertisement

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    Who gives a ****?

The people complaining about the boys being potentially bullied -- That's not an excuse. You could have made the same argument when girls began to wear slacks. Remember Katharine Hepburn? She got some stick in Hollywood when she decided to wear pants.

Here is an excerpt from a JUDGE in 1938 when a woman had the gall to wear pants in his courtroom.

Source

You know, this is a good point. A lot of aspects of the social issues surrounding transgenderism make my head spin. But it could become socially acceptable for men to wear skirts, given a chance. It would be rare but could still gain acceptance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't see the uniform as a problem. Nothing is being forced on anyone.

However the toilet issue is different. That is being forced on them. Anyone who thinks making boys and girls share the same toilet won't result in serious issues is deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't see the uniform as a problem. Nothing is being forced on anyone.

However the toilet issue is different. That is being forced on them. Anyone who thinks making boys and girls share the same toilet won't result in serious issues is deluded.

who mentioned shared toilets?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What percentage of society does this "issue" effect??

Not you anyway, which makes your opposition all the more baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

who mentioned shared toilets?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/primary-school-to-introduce-gender-neutral-school-uniform-policy-1.3931242
    The school is also phasing out boys’ and girls’ toilets and replaced them with gender neutral versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

If wearing trousers or a skirt is more in keeping with you being you, then go for it. Though the better question might be why there's a uniform at all

not sure if naked -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

In my 43 years on this planet I'm fairly certain I've never even met a transgender person. Yet I'm suddenly supposed to believe that this is so common that even primary schools need to be worrying about it.

This is the kind of shite that will cause serious problems.

If you want to put up a third set of toilet stalls all well and good, but phasing out the existing toilets for a nonexistent problem is absolute madness. Next thing you know someone will be suing the school because their daughter was harassed or sexually assaulted in the toilets.

Or suing the school cos there was p1ss on the toilet seat and it caused PTSD for the girl who sat on the p1ss

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Was there a need for this?

I'm sure they have a policy like "girls can wear skirts or trousers."

So....a boy could identify as a girl anyways and wear a skirt so the school didn't need to do anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Wibbs wrote: »
    This nonsense is getting more and more retarded by the day.

The whole gender neutral toilets will soon stop once lads keep pissing on the seats and the girls want their toilets back again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It's a vegan cat situation, says more about the surrounding adults

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement