Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Where do i say it is fine from 1 side but not from the other?
    Just stating that 1 was doing it from day 1 on.

Also not sure what me being a mod elsewhere has to do with this, tbh.
    Certainly not in combination with that horrible rolleye smiley.
    If there is 1 thing that should disappear from this site, it is that twat.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

lola85 wrote: »
    That thread went mad.

People were coming in and writing bump with a smiley face each day just to keep it relevant.

Was boring after a while.

Out of 9400+ posts in 4 months:

7a46c9c96dc79a943a2701b499c27548.png

3 such posts. Hardly each day
    And look at the culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

inforfun wrote: »
    Let me take you a post of one of those i was talking about. It was his 2nd post in the thread, over 3 months ago now:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110527316&postcount=4985

If you keep that baiting and throwing insults at people up for over 3 months, as he has, of course you ll get some **** thrown back at you at 1 point.

I'd like to point out at this point that I never had any problem with posters on that thread, haven't reported posts and was saddened to see the thread closed. So don't go blaming me that the thread got closed.

I'd like to point out at this point that I never had any problem with posters on that thread, haven't reported posts and was saddened to see the thread closed. So don't go blaming me that the thread got closed.

I don't detect much sincerity, it was no coincidence the thread tipped over into farce when you started littering it with thinly-veiled insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

blackwhite wrote: »
    The thread closure is more symptomatic of the general lack of modding on CA/IMHO than anything else.

The forum is moderated as good as it can be. Any more moderation and you’ll just have bans and those users coming back to “attack” the site.

I’d like to see less moderation, if I’m honest. Mods only coming in to deal with the highest offences. I’d also remove the “report” button altogether. The fact people report posts simply on the basis that they “don’t agree with it” is shocking. And I’d say the amount of posts reported is staggering.

The forum is, and has proven to be, an excellent, and welcome, “buffer” for the “After Hours” forum.

It’s taken the majority of racist, bigots, nut-jobs, loonies, pedants, malcontents, misogynists (although not enough), homophobes, cranks, oddballs, whingers and every other type of “undesirable” from AH and given them a place to air their views, bicker and fight without normal users having to bear witness.

I would also suggest removing the link to the “Current Affairs” forum from AH, the more distance between them the better.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

I don't detect much sincerity, it was no coincidence the thread tipped over into farce when you started littering it with thinly-veiled insults.

I am being sincere. I enjoyed posting in that thread - I like the cut and thrust of a good political debate. I was keeping the thread alive more than most, I'd opine.

I'm sure the mods can confirm I didn't report a single insult sent my way, and there were plenty. I suspect the thread was closed as the mods got sick of the incessant reporting and bickering and complaining emanating from that thread. Threads generally get locked when they become a "time sink" for the mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If you don't like a thread or have no interest in it, don't post in or read it. Pretty simple.
    Everything said about Bailey was based on her getting caught out. She hung herself.
    We'd about 4 or 5 lads that would come in every so often to slag off people for posting in the thread. A few never even mentioned Bailey at all.
    The thread was closed by a little pack of trolls who for some reason wanted it shut down. Not the first time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hardly much point losing the head over a thread closure, there's plenty of scope to still discuss Maria's unfortunate run of events.

There's CCTV footage out there, that is bound to be leaked.

Ditto the report Leo couldnt decide if the public should see, or not..............

until the moment he had actually seen it and realised just what in under fcuk these gombeens had been getting up to.

Likewise, Madigans role.

It's not everyday you have a government running a welfare cheats campaign, and then circle the wagons when it emerges that one of their own TDs basically "overstated their injuries" and Provided “inconsistencies to their party leader and the media” which he “could not reconcile”;

I believe the comments above from the admin team was that they had issues with people stating that Bailey committed fraud, as she neither admitted that, nor has she been convicted of same.

However, does that leave the door open for a thread solely to discuss both her actions, and the unprecedented run of events, both leading up to the story, and since the story broke?

If not, why not? There's a thread that's been running for years now about another figure in the political spotlight, that of a certain Mr Jeff Rudd, with a few posters in here highly outspoken about the bailey thread being fairly high net contributors to that particular one. Hypocrisy, no?

It might be an uncomfortable situation to be in, having someone of Maria Bailey's character in your ranks, but it's FGs uncomfortable situation to deal with.

Just because the thread is shut definitely doesn't mean the subject of discussion is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Saddened to see the thread closed? You are having a laugh Paddy. If you are saddened, then why did you thank Beasty for closing the thread?

Give me a break.

Thank You,and one of the 'culprits' has the neck to say he's saddened the thread closed down....( no eye rolling ).

• Advertisement

I am being sincere. I enjoyed posting in that thread - I like the cut and thrust of a good political debate. I was keeping the thread alive more than most, I'd opine.

I'm sure the mods can confirm I didn't report a single insult sent my way, and there were plenty. I suspect the thread was closed as the mods got sick of the incessant reporting and bickering and complaining emanating from that thread. Threads generally get locked when they become a "time sink" for the mods.

What’s this obsession with someone reporting?

I honestly thought we were ALL above that. I personally can say the idea of reporting never even crossed my mind.

3 consecutive posts in a row. Not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Three consecutive posts in a row...even worse grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Hopefully the Dean have a sign up by the swings now too.

I Hope you're taking the P*ss....

OP of the thread here.
    I feel the thread is till relevant, Maria Bailey declared she was ready to move on 6 days ago (she might be, the rest of us aren't)

I think the thread should be kept open until at least the next general election.
    Once the public decide on whether they want Maria Bailey or not, at that stage, the thread can be closed (as it is then no longer relevant)

Having re-read the last few pages of thread it's clear that there are big FG supporters attempting to get the thread removed/locked etc.

A lot of people feel there will be an election before Xmas, and all parties are in clean up mode. (For that reason alone it should be left open)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do not post if you cannot do so in a constructive manner

I Hope you're taking the P*ss....

OP of the thread here.
    I feel the thread is till relevant, Maria Bailey declared she was ready to move on 6 days ago (she might be, the rest of us aren't)

I think the thread should be kept open until at least the next general election.
    Once the public decide on whether they want Maria Bailey or not, at that stage, the thread can be closed (as it is then no longer relevant)

Having re-read the last few pages of thread it's clear that there are big FG supporters attempting to get the thread removed/locked etc.

A lot of people feel there will be an election before Xmas, and all parties are in clean up mode. (For that reason alone it should be left open)

Of course I’m not “taking the piss”. If they want to avoid any frivolous, not fraudulent, claims they should, most definitely, put up a sign. In fact, they should take them down altogether. What were they thinking putting swings in a pub??

The insurance “crisis”, relevant.
    Possible general election, relevant.
    Marie Bailey swing, no longer relevant.

Set up new threads on insurance and on the general election, reopening this one will just be more “dumps” of both of those topics and very little about Bailey, herself.

I get that it might have stung a bit for you, personally, as it now terminates your 15 minutes of Boards “fame”. Especially since it got so close to the 10k limit, some see that as a “badge of honour” so that is a shame, for you.

Any dissenting voices in that thread were lambasted out of it. You think that is going to lead “constructive” debate? Then you have users accusing other users of being “trolls”, even ones who’s own username is “trolling”. The irony.

Not to mention the “accusations”, which I believe are against the forum rules, of a bunch of users, I’ve lost count at this stage, being the one user. These types then follow you, across the Boards, like a bad smell hurling these “insults”.

The thread served its purpose for a few weeks. Then, once the summer recess commenced you just had that “mobilised” cell constantly “resuscitating” the thread with cries of ‘we can’t let this die!!’. It became a pathetic pantomime and that is why, I assume, it was locked.

I look forward to those, suggested, threads being set up. And I do hope that, once they are, the debate is “robust” and constructive without the need for, baseless, accusations and, unnecessary, insults.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I get that it might have stung a bit for you, personally, as it now terminates your 15 minutes of Boards “fame”. Especially since it got so close to the 10k limit, some see that as a “badge of honour” so that is a shame, for you.
    I look forward to those, suggested, threads being set up. And I do hope that, once they are, the debate is “robust” and constructive without the need for, baseless, accusations and, unnecessary, insults.

You literally just insulted me four lines prior to your unnecessary insults remark. :confused:

Perhaps you're right though about the thread, I just think people forget about the questionable things our elected politicians do/say at election time.
    Hence the reason I said to keep it going until election time. (which is fair I think)

You literally just insulted me four lines prior to your unnecessary insults remark. :confused:

Perhaps you're right though about the thread, I just think people forget about the questionable things our elected politicians do/say at election time.
    Hence the reason I said to keep it going until election time. (which is fair I think)

Apologies, B, but I’m not seeing any “insult” there at all. None was intended.

Do you not think that an election “megathread” would be a better idea?

Coupled with a thread on the insurance “crisis” I believe that all ground would be “covered”.

Ms. Bailey could feature in both threads but I don’t believe a story about someone faking a slip on a tin of beans in a supermarket or a judge’s ridiculous pay out ruling belong in a thread about Bailey.

Anyway, just to re-iterate, there was no insult intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Had several doubts about CA initially, happy that I was very wrong.

Great job, folks.

Do you not think that an election “megathread” would be a better idea?

Yes
    Coupled with a thread on the insurance “crisis” I believe that all ground would be “covered”.

Yes, possibly, so long as they are separate I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Had several doubts about CA initially, happy that I was very wrong.

Great job, folks.

I am the opposite. I proposed CA but the complete lack of fair moderation has made it a dumping ground for insults, rants & repeating the same points over & over again.

I suspect that the idea is to put all the dross in one place & leave it to fester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The interesting thing about character is it always comes to the fore eventually. All you need do is look at who has been throwing out the insults over the last few pages to see some of the culprits who worked to get the thread closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It was very wrong to close the Bailey thread in my opinion. In terms of Boards impartiality, humanity was crossed.

It was very wrong to close the Bailey thread in my opinion. In terms of Boards impartiality, humanity was crossed.

Considering she was named today as having made claims for expenses totalling almost 2k that were "ineligible" - it just goes to show that my earlier assertion that trying to stifle debate on her shenanigans is futile.

Perhaps the lads who arguably added to the threads closure, despite being "genuinely disappointed that it was so" will now be rejoicing that she's once again at the forefront of discussion involving her obtaining/trying to obtain money she did not deserve to receive.

Edit, and she's also back trending on Twitter.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've seen the new thread which arguably may be a better one to discuss some of the wider issues raised in the earlier thread

One thing I will commit to is keeping an eye on the thread for the sort of issues that were highlighted in connection with the earlier one. I would though still encourage posters to report stuff they may have an issue with. I may not be readily available but I do look at all reports from CA that have not already clearly been reviewed by another mod. Even if I am around it can take time to work out context

• Registered Users Posts: 83,065 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Some of those threads seem super attractive to rereg trolls I see

The closure was all my doing - there were no other Admins around at the time. Hence it's not one you can put down to the site (but you can of course put it down to me)

Ah, Sir Apropos of Nothing, we meet again.

Try here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058021984

The thread did drop off the first page, so it’s understandable you missed it, but I’m sure one of your “group” will be along to ensure that doesn’t happen again.

• Advertisement

Ah, Sir Apropos of Nothing, we meet again.

Try here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058021984

The thread did drop off the first page, so it’s understandable you missed it, but I’m sure one of your “group” will be along to ensure that doesn’t happen again.

Just leave this here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement