Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is for general feedback on the forum

If you want to know why a specific thread was closed PM the mod and if that is not successful head over to Help Desk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Can moderators clean up the thread of offensive terms used in meme format.

Disgraceful this is allowed remain.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can moderators clean up the thread of offensive terms used in meme format.

Disgraceful this is allowed remain.

Please report any posts you have an issue with

Beasty wrote: »
    Please report any posts you have an issue with

Please clean up the thread the retard word is not acceptable in a civilised society.

I know you’re focused on other things but please for people traumatised by that word.

Have some decency.

Please clean up the thread the retard word is not acceptable in a civilised society.

I know you’re focused on other things but please for people traumatised by that word.

Have some decency.

Are there any moderators other than the Beast who is harassing me in PM because he won’t remove the use of the word retard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Pete, if you just wanted to say "no u" then that's all you had to say, no need for the long rigmarole.
    Beasty wrote: »
    This thread is for general feedback on the forum

If you want to know why a specific thread was closed PM the mod and if that is not successful head over to Help Desk

There's been feedback: the thread shouldn't have been closed just because the usual rake of alt-rightists turned up to cause trouble. All that's been done is punishing anyone that was there to discuss it. We know why it was closed, people are taking issue with what it says about how any future threads will be dealt with, now that they know they can easily get them shut down.

It was the wrong call and it sets a bad precedent. That is the feedback.

Punish the people whose only purpose is to try and get the thread locked, don't just give them what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’d like to see the word added to the “censor list”, to be honest. Been a “bugbear” of mine for a while now.

Could get rid of all of the, ignorant, slurs with the suffix ‘-tard’ on them.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I’d like to see the word added to the “censor list”, to be honest. Been a “bugbear” of mine for a while now.

You mean that word is allowed here? That’s disgraceful.

I know corners here are as low as snails tit but that’s a whole different story.

You mean that word is allowed here? That’s disgraceful.

I know corners here are as low as snails tit but that’s a whole different story.

Don’t think it’s, technically, allowed but I’d like it to be “starred out” along with other, offensive, words.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Its a bit much for me, Emmet. "Tard this" and "tard that". "You big bastard". Dreadful language.

"Ride me sideways" was another one. ;)

• Advertisement

Don’t think it’s, technically, allowed but I’d like it to be “starred out” along with other, offensive, words.

It reveals a lot about the moderators that that’s allowed even when reported.

It’s more offensive to mods to say people are hysterical.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Terf too
    Leftists
    Alt right

Gatling wrote: »
    Terf too
    Leftists
    Alt right

I don't have a real issue with any of those terms tbh. And alt right is a recognised movement at this stage. The other term being discussed has been far from acceptable for a long time.

The other term being discussed has been far from acceptable for a long time.

Depending on Context it should be allowed nobody was actually called a retard or accused of being retarded but when a troll posts utter ****e to gain a reaction and someone posts the tropic thunder memes featuring the phase never go full retard it's should be taken as just that.a Witty reply .

If boards made a post for people to name words people find offensive there would be no keystrokes that wouldn't trigger someone.

The thread on Jk Rowling descending into posters calling black people ‘blacks’ and calling gay people a culture of death. Disgusting.

Reporting is useless as mods just stalk the person who has reported to find any kind of infraction.

The thread on Jk Rowling descending into posters calling black people ‘blacks’ and calling gay people a culture of death. Disgusting.

Reporting is useless as mods just stalk the person who has reported to find any kind of infraction.

Stop with the b's lies .

Little troll with a Keyboard

Stop with the b's lies .

Little troll with a Keyboard

I have screenshots.

I have screenshots.

Your a **** stiring liar .

Your a **** stiring liar .

Such vitriol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Nothing disgusting about it. Black people refer to themselves as Blacks all the time, always have.

People are getting offending for the sake of it as this stage.
    "It is impossible to struggle for civil rights, equal rights for blacks, without including whites" - Maya Angelou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Depending on Context it should be allowed nobody was actually called a retard or accused of being retarded but when a troll posts utter ****e to gain a reaction and someone posts the tropic thunder memes featuring the phase never go full retard it's should be taken as just that.a Witty reply .

If boards made a post for people to name words people find offensive there would be no keystrokes that wouldn't trigger someone.
    We could just silently wait for people we dislike to utter one of the Forbidden Words (or be technically outside of the arbitrarily enforced rules), ignore all other posters doing the same, then hit the bastards with the report post button, so the mods can get rid of them for us!
    /s

A good example of why Bad Faith posting should be targeted - not 'letter of the rule' based targetting.

KyussB wrote: »
    We could just silently wait for people we dislike to utter one of the Forbidden Words (or be technically outside of the arbitrarily enforced rules), ignore all other posters doing the same, then hit the bastards with the report post button, so the mods can get rid of them for us!
    /s

A good example of why Bad Faith posting should be targeted - not 'letter of the rule' based targetting.

I’m not looking for anyone to get “banned” for it. Would just like to see it censored whenever someone posts it.

Like what happens with ****, ******, ******, **** and, of course, *******.

I’m sure I can’t be the only one who thinks this. It is an ugly word used, for the most part, by ugly people.

I’m not looking for anyone to get “banned” for it. Would just like to see it censored whenever someone posts it.

Like what happens with ****, ******, ******, **** and, of course, *******.

I’m sure I can’t be the only one who thinks this. It is an ugly word used, for the most part, by ugly people.

It's used in the pejorative sense by people posting like five year olds and used by some people ad an excuse to be offended.

Personally when I see people using Twitter dumps and terms like retard, it's normally a sign that they don't have the ability to argue their case or just don't have one, but I wouldn't be bothered censoring it. I've seen it used in technical documents in work, and like the word bitch, has different meanings.

Of course once a thread is opened on a certain topic, the same posters always appear like flies around sh1te, usually posting bs and if it's not suiting their opinion trying to get it shut down. Two examples, the thread on the latest attacks in Paris, opened with thankfully inflated figures and another poster claiming that the mainstream media weren't reporting on it, both easily pointed out for the rubbish that it is, and the thread on the attack on two teenagers in Dublin.

Personally anyone judging someone or a whole group on their skin colour, race, sexual orientation etc is just a c*nt, and to paraphrase there's no cure for being one, so why be surprised when they act like one on here in CA or elsewhere.

You obviously don't get it ,you would still see it , nothing would be censored it's a meme ,

Nobody is saying random poster your a retard it's a movie quote in the form of meme

Standing up for trans people : trolling.

Calling and using the word retard: no problem.

Use the term blacks: no problem

Moderators here are disgusting.

Standing up for trans people : trolling.

Calling and using the word retard: no problem.

Use the term blacks: no problem

Moderators here are disgusting.

Ah, I think your goose was “cooked” in that thread. It’s not one for dissenting opinions, reckon you probably picked up record numbers of post “reportings”. Wouldn’t be getting on the mods case too much about it.

Anyway, the thread has gone back to the, backslapping, “circle-jerk” it’s been for some time now. Not much can be done about it, they got what they wanted.

Ah, I think your goose was “cooked” in that thread. It’s not one for dissenting opinions, reckon you probably picked up record numbers of post “reportings”. Wouldn’t be getting on the mods case too much about it.

Anyway, the thread has gone back to the, backslapping, “circle-jerk” it’s been for some time now. Not much can be done about it, they got what they wanted.

It’s sad they won’t allow one voice to stand up for trans people. The damage the mods facilitate.

I don’t really care if they have to deal with a load of my posts being reported the fact they action them over the use of ‘retard’, ‘homosexuals don’t contribute to the world/are against nature’ and ‘blacks’ is a disgrace.

As a parent I feel the need to call this out, the harm the mods do to people by allowing this hatred is awful.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

It’s sad they won’t allow one voice to stand up for trans people. The damage the mods facilitate.

I don’t really care if they have to deal with a load of my posts being reported the fact they action them over the use of ‘retard’, ‘homosexuals don’t contribute to the world/are against nature’ and ‘blacks’ is a disgrace.

As a parent I feel the need to call this out, the harm the mods do to people by allowing this hatred is awful.

I don't think that's fair to the mods. I was only posting in the thread yesterday and there were no mods shutting me down.

The scales were clearly weighed with more posters arguing against trans people and/or defending transphobes. But I don't think you can fault mods for that given that the thread title clearly frames it in such a way that it's pretty much inevitable that line of discussion will happen at some point.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Delirium wrote: »
    I don't think that's fair to the mods. I was only posting in the thread yesterday and there were no mods shutting me down.

The scales were clearly weighed with more posters arguing against trans people and/or defending transphobes. But I don't think you can fault mods for that given that the thread title clearly frames it in such a way that it's pretty much inevitable that line of discussion will happen at some point.

I can fault the mods. They deliberately stalked my posts to find something but allow posters say trans women are only imitating women and Gay people are against nature and allow the terms ‘blacks’ and ‘retard’.

The mods have a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Delirium wrote: »

Jesus christ. :rolleyes: Truly a word without meaning at this point. And I’ll note that you didn’t come back to the thread when people provided you with solid answers to your questions about why TERF is a slur. Don’t engage with people. Just insult.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement