Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Jesus christ. :rolleyes: Truly a word without meaning at this point. And I’ll note that you didn’t come back to the thread when people provided you with solid answers to your questions about why TERF is a slur. Don’t engage with people. Just insult.

Feel free to report those posts and I'll accept whatever judgement the mods deem fit.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Delirium wrote: »
    Feel free to report those posts and I'll accept whatever judgement the mods deem fit.

You know well that this is throwing shade. How stupid to you think people are?
    The scales were clearly weighed with more posters arguing against trans people and/or defending transphobes.

Glad we appeared to have stumped you with our answers to your faux-naïf posturing about TERF being an innocent acronym though. :cool:

And this is me giving feedback. If misgendering is verboten, using a clear slur should also be. The double standard and bias is apparent. Nothing will be done but I’m not going to stop highlighting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Retard isn't really a polite word to use in debate.

Similar to Twerp, Terf, Creep and calling people 'slow' all of which were in full display in the thread on question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Ah, I think your goose was “cooked” in that thread. It’s not one for dissenting opinions, reckon you probably picked up record numbers of post “reportings”. Wouldn’t be getting on the mods case too much about it.

Anyway, the thread has gone back to the, backslapping, “circle-jerk” it’s been for some time now. Not much can be done about it, they got what they wanted.

Says the lad who spends half of his time in feedback trying to get threads shut down.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Says the lad who spends half of his time in feedback trying to get threads shut down.

I have never tried to get threads “shut down”. Moved to CA, definitely but I wouldn’t be one for calling for CA threads to be locked.

Anyway, from what I can see it was your lot bleating about an “attempt” on your thread but then actively dumping on another one and succeeding in getting it closed. Albeit temporarily.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It’s sad they won’t allow one voice to stand up for trans people. The damage the mods facilitate.

I don’t really care if they have to deal with a load of my posts being reported the fact they action them over the use of ‘retard’, ‘homosexuals don’t contribute to the world/are against nature’ and ‘blacks’ is a disgrace.

As a parent I feel the need to call this out, the harm the mods do to people by allowing this hatred is awful.

I have taken the liberty of returning to the posts you have reported in the thread in question for the last 3 months. I'm assuming you have reported the posts that concern you, as detailed in the terms and conditions of the site.

Every post in that thread that you have reported in the last 3 months as being of concern to you has been checked and dealt with by sanction as appropriate by an average of about 4 minutes.

Now, by any standard, that's a damn quick response by the mod team so I feel some praise of them is required here.

As to the rest, I think you're being disingenuous in the extreme to be complaining about mods not responding as you feel appropriate to posts which you have not reported.

If you feel posts are breaching the rules of the site, the onus is on you to report those posts before coming into this thread complaining that those posts haven't been dealt with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

I have taken the liberty of returning to the posts you have reported in the thread in question for the last 3 months. I'm assuming you have reported the posts that concern you, as detailed in the terms and conditions of the site.

Every post in that thread that you have reported in the last 3 months as being of concern to you has been checked and dealt with by sanction as appropriate by an average of about 4 minutes.

Now, by any standard, that's a damn quick response by the mod team so I feel some praise of them is required here.

As to the rest, I think you're being disingenuous in the extreme to be complaining about mods not responding as you feel appropriate to posts which you have not reported.

If you feel posts are breaching the rules of the site, the onus is on you to report those posts before coming into this thread complaining that those posts haven't been dealt with!

Bull. Edit Sp Bulford.

If I report a post I get an infraction first.

Secondly. If someone reports me, the mods go to my posts and infract me leaving terms like retard, they are that blinded with tunnel vision.

Look it’s transparent.

At least have the balls to own up to it.

Bull.
    Charming.
    If I report a post I get an infraction first.
    Please forward me any proof you may have of this and I will examine it.
    Secondly. If someone reports me, the mods go to my posts and infract me
    If you have a post reported and it needs a sanction issued then that sanction will be applied, without fear or favour.
    leaving terms like retard, they are that blinded with tunnel vision.
    I just checked again and I see no reports by you for posts containing terms like retard. Please report them again so mods can see the post that may require being dealt with.
    Look it’s transparent.

At least have the balls to own up to it.

Yes, certain things do become quickly transparent alright.

Charming.

If you have a post reported and it needs a sanction issued then that sanction will be applied, without fear or favour.

I just checked again and I see no reports by you for posts containing terms like retard. Please report them again so mods can see the post that may require being dealt with.

Yes, certain things do become quickly transparent alright.

Apologies Bulford.

Response following.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

@Buford, the post with the use of retard, is this one

It was carded by a mod.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

Charming.

Report posts you have an issue with and the mods will review and act as they see fit

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carerhomeless
    Wrong

I said that it’s entertaining to seen people get wound up.

I didn’t admit to winding anyone up.

Focus on people using the word retard perhaps.

Beast:
    I said report. Those of us who are mods can then have a look.

@Buford, the post with the use of retard, is this one

It was carded by a mod.

After I was carded for nothing. After i asked twice for it receive attention via pm.

Charming.

I reported a post on the landlord forum and the mod stalked my posts to infract me. I made a complaint about the mod and it was swept under the carpet.
    Re: Bias
    Carerhomeless-

You cannot tar an entire segment of the posters in the forum in the manner in which you have done.

It is made clear in the charter governing posting in the forum that the forum is for the enjoyment of all- and that includes the various different people you are likely to encounter- tenants, landlords, home owners, management agents, there are a few local authority housing officers who post in the forum- and a myriad of others.

It is not acceptable to cast aspersions at any cohort of posters- and we do regularly call out posts against HAP recipients and other tenants- if they are being attacked- in exactly the same manner.

The moderators of the forum also represent a spectrum of different type posters- and Irish society in general, and it is unfair to suggest there is a bias.

Regards,

The_Conductor

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carerhomeless
    Why when I reported being called an ass you threaten with an immediate ban for calling out the atmosphere on your forum?

Biased.

I reported a post on the landlord forum and the mod stalked my posts to infract me. I made a complaint about the mod and it was swept under the carpet.
    Re: Bias
    Desiree Microscopic Slavery-

You cannot tar an entire segment of the posters in the forum in the manner in which you have done.

It is made clear in the charter governing posting in the forum that the forum is for the enjoyment of all- and that includes the various different people you are likely to encounter- tenants, landlords, home owners, management agents, there are a few local authority housing officers who post in the forum- and a myriad of others.

It is not acceptable to cast aspersions at any cohort of posters- and we do regularly call out posts against HAP recipients and other tenants- if they are being attacked- in exactly the same manner.

The moderators of the forum also represent a spectrum of different type posters- and Irish society in general, and it is unfair to suggest there is a bias.

Regards,

The_Conductor

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Desiree Microscopic Slavery
    Why when I reported being called an ass you threaten with an immediate ban for calling out the atmosphere on your forum?

Biased.

You can just send them by PM, it will save clogging up this thread. And the above post should be discussed with either the mod in question or a Category Mod of that forum if you cannot reach an agreement with the mod in question.

This thread is dealing with CA/IMHO issues and not Accommodation & Property issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

As much as I disagree on other points the use of the word retard shouldn't be allowed and should have been removed.

Meme or not. I would have thought that wouldn't be allowed. It's a fairly horrible term.

Also completely backs up the opinions of those that are painting people in that thread as right wing or hate filled.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The post in question was given a yellow card (by me) within 3 minutes of it being reported. The post was left up to show that action had been taken. If I remove that post what do I do to all the uses of the word in this thread? Delete them? Of course not - that would be absurd

Beasty wrote: »
    The post in question was given a yellow card (by me) within 3 minutes of it being reported. The post was left up to show that action had been taken. If I remove that post what do I do to all the uses of the word in this thread? Delete them? Of course that would be absurd

Fair enough. Thanks. Didn't think of that.

The post in question was given a yellow card (by me) within 3 minutes of it being reported. The post was left up to show that action had been taken. If I remove that post what do I do to all the uses of the word in this thread? Delete them? Of course not - that would be absurd

Cultivate a culture that doesn't condone that sort of thing perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is there a place to recommend adding the “term” to the censored list? Would be difficult for someone “behind the scenes” to action?

I, personally, am not too concerned with cards, or punishments, for users using it. Says more about them than anything, but I do feel it qualifies to go on the “list”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

That's what the card is for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

You called Beasty ''the beast'' and Bulford ''Bull''. You sling constant perjoratives at people making valid arguments and do not argue against their points using reason. You call people ''dear'' and insinuate they need to calm down, that they do not read books, that they are TERFs, alt right, bigots, homophobes, racists. And on and on. Don't go crying when you don't win by using these tactics.

Here you go.
    Gruffalux wrote: »

You called Beasty ''the beast'' and Bulford ''Bull''.

Yes cause it corrects to Beast and Bull is a word I use:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114747410&postcount=4552

You sling constant perjoratives at people making valid arguments and do not argue against their points using reason.

Examples?

You call people ''dear'' and insinuate they need to calm down,

My mother used to say sweetie, the kids say hun.

that they do not read books,

The person in questioned said I read books. I hope everybody does but if you want to pass off your arguments as intellectual then at least reference your sources. He didn't answer whose research about Hijra he read even when offered two prominent authors?

that they are TERFs,

Show me one instance where I called someone a t.e.r.f.?

alt right, bigots, homophobes, racists.

Points of views, groups, cliques. I don't call people names. That's the territory of the right.

And on and on. Don't go crying when you don't win by using these tactics.

i'M NOT PLAYING.

I don't call people homophobes - I just say they have homophobic views.
    I don't call people racists - I just say they hang out in racist cliques.
    I don't call people alt right - I just say they are in alt right groups.
    I don't call people bigots - I just say they are bigoted.

:rolleyes:

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I don't call people homophobes - I just say they have homophobic views.
    I don't call people racists - I just say they hang out in racist cliques.
    I don't call people alt right - I just say they are in alt right groups.
    I don't call people bigots - I just say they are bigoted.

:rolleyes:

You can't find any examples then to back up your false assertions . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Deleted
    *can't be bothered doing what bad faith posters want - a closure of a thread or continuation in here because they're banned or have really predetermined bad arguments*

Here you go.

I don't have to reference anything I have read, this is not a scientific paper. You assumed I didn't know something. You were quite rude, oh go and google it.

Why would I try and trawl through goodreads to try and remember which books I have seen them mentioned before. I have been to India three times and have read numerous books about India so how am I going to remember which one it was in.

You were incredibly rude and when I reacted you said peopleon the thread were hysterical. And implied I didn't read and was lying.So not really as innocent as you are painting it.

Also I never passed off anything as intellectual I replied when you assumed I hadn't heard Hijra before.

You can't find any examples then to back up your false assertions . . .
    Here....
    Yes it’s my fault people are racist and homophobic.
    The constant references to ‘kool-aid’ on an Irish forum is an insidious form of right-wing race baiting.
    I’ve never called anyone a transphobe or racist.
    However, a persons views can be transphobic or racist.
    ... Please for your own sake cease with the Trumpist Kool-aid comment, it’s not healthy and how can you ever think you’ll be taken seriously?
    How can I say people can be transphobic and racist? Because they seek to put trans people in situations where they will be hurt.

I don’t think I need to explain racism in 2020.
    Terf is too soft.

Bigot is more visceral.
    When you lie with dogs you get fleas.
    Yet when dealing with those who are backward they are quite effective.
    Because it’s all the same. The anti-brigade are all the same. I’ve seen it all and my dear I’m still here.
    I didn’t say that. I said transphobia is in fashion now, ironic, and the anti-repeal, anti-gay have all moved on to anti-trans.
    Ignorance personified.

..Your ideology is just a continuation of the church and the laundries.

I find all the men here obsessing over trans women really creepy.

It’s the same side of the coin as the anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, the gemmaroids complete obsession.

It’s not healthy.
    You’re very upset. Calm down darling.

The natural world. Give me a break. I bet you your wardrobe is full of poly blends.
    Reminds me of my favourite song

SUPER-TRANSPHOBE-FRAGILE-GENDERTOXIC-DOESNTKNOWMUCH

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Oh stop wasting energy feed him or her .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carerhomeless View Post
    Yes it’s my fault people are racist and homophobic.

Context but it's not my fault. Who did I say that about?
    Quote:
    The constant references to ‘kool-aid’ on an Irish forum is an insidious form of right-wing race baiting.

What is it with Kool-aid maybe I'm too old.

Quote:
    I’ve never called anyone a transphobe or racist.
    However, a persons views can be transphobic or racist.
    ... Please for your own sake cease with the Trumpist Kool-aid comment, it’s not healthy and how can you ever think you’ll be taken seriously?

Find me a time on this site I called a person transphobic or racist.

Quote:
    How can I say people can be transphobic and racist? Because they seek to put trans people in situations where they will be hurt.

Yes that makes people those things.

I don’t think I need to explain racism in 2020.

Maybe on here i do.
    Quote:
    Terf is too soft.

Bigot is more visceral.

Lingually, Fact.

Quote:
    When you lie with dogs you get fleas.

Old saying meaning things are catching. Like the numerous paper articles tell us about the rise of the right in Ireland.

Quote:
    Yet when dealing with those who are backward they are quite effective.

Less progressive, yes.

Quote:
    Because it’s all the same. The anti-brigade are all the same. I’ve seen it all and my dear I’m still here.

Relates to catching fleas above.
    Quote:
    I didn’t say that. I said transphobia is in fashion now, ironic, and the anti-repeal, anti-gay have all moved on to anti-trans.

Again they are all related.

Quote:
    Ignorance personified.

..Your ideology is just a continuation of the church and the laundries.

Controlling peoples bodies is a pastime in Ireland.

Quote:

I find all the men here obsessing over trans women really creepy.

It’s the same side of the coin as the anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, the gemmaroids complete obsession.

It’s not healthy.

It is very creepy the amount of times I saw people talk about genitals.
    And look at the protests recently they are anti-mask/lockdown but aligned with the right. Why is starting facts such a problem? Will we ban the news?

Quote:
    You’re very upset. Calm down darling.

The natural world. Give me a break. I bet you your wardrobe is full of poly blends.

The thread was very heated with the use of the retard term, my granny called me Darling.

oK i'll give you one, my comedy isn't as good as Des Bishop.

Quote:
    Reminds me of my favourite song

SUPER-TRANSPHOBE-FRAGILE-GENDERTOXIC-DOESNTKNOWMUCH

I robbed that from Randy Rainbow.

• Advertisement

I don't have to reference anything I have read, this is not a scientific paper. You assumed I didn't know something. You were quite rude, oh go and google it.

Why would I try and trawl through goodreads to try and remember which books I have seen them mentioned before. I have been to India three times and have read numerous books about India so how am I going to remember which one it was in.

You were incredibly rude and when I reacted you said peopleon the thread were hysterical. And implied I didn't read and was lying.So not really as innocent as you are painting it.

Also I never passed off anything as intellectual I replied when you assumed I hadn't heard Hijra before.

Try saying it out loud and hear how peculiar it sounds. Actually, drop it into a conversation sometime and let it hang in the air and see what response you get.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement