Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Stop being so dramatic Pete

Again, you are being disingenuous. You know well the term is a play on the word Impotent, and being used to denigrate and insult. Urban Dictionary:
    Impotus.png

Ordinarily, I'd have no problem with the term being used (which is why I've never reported it, nor posted about it in here before now) but when adjectives like 'Sleepy' are being banned to describe JB, it does beg the question as to why it is that you can call Trump pretty much anything you want but not Joe Biden.

Baffles me that anyone would bother reporting it to begin with tbh but it's crazy that mods would appease such people and ban the use of the expression Sleepy Joe in response. Come on, man. It's harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Ordinarily, I'd have no problem with the term being used (which is why I've never reported it, nor posted about it in here before now) but when adjectives like 'Sleepy' are being banned to describe JB, it does beg the question as to why it is that you can call Trump pretty much anything you want but not Joe Biden. ...

I was wondering what was the #IMPETUS ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I thought it was Sleazy Joe and Creepy Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Again, you are being disingenuous. You know well the term is a play on the word Impotent, and being used to denigrate and insult. Urban Dictionary:

Ordinarily, I'd have no problem with the term being used (which is why I've never reported it, nor posted about it in here before now) but when adjectives like 'Sleepy' are being banned to describe JB, it does beg the question as to why it is that you can call Trump pretty much anything you want but not Joe Biden.

Baffles me that anyone would bother reporting it to begin with tbh but it's crazy that mods would appease such people and ban the use of the expression Sleepy Joe in response. Come on, man. It's harmless.

No Pete i don't and that's the first time.i have heard that used in that context, Linking to some random t-shirt site isn't really a strong argument you know.

OK pete.....here's the deal.

George Conway started the hashtag #IMPOTUS

Here's the story behind it

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/475524-george-conways-new-nickname-for-trump-starts-trend-impotus%3famp

Heres the important parts so you don't miss out
    "An Update on IMPOTUS (IMpeached President Of The United States)," Conway, a frequent, and often fiery critic of the president tweeted Thursday night. 
    The new acronym sought to combine the two ideas of impeachment and the presidential office into one
    "Okay, you want a hashtag, you got it. #IMPOTUS," Conway later added.

Now maybe some have taken the hashtag and claimed #IMPOTUS means what you said but thats not its original meaning and I will continue to use it as mr Conway created it to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

All those terms are stupid and petty, and do those using them no favours (EDIT: although I will admit I laughted the first time I saw SCROTUS being used 4 years ago).

Lets not kid ourseleves here, maybe it can be explained as Impeached POTUS, but there's no doubt it's a play on the word impotent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Well I for one cannot wait for this election to be over with so all this petty idiotic nonsense goes away.

Please please make it stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

On a feedback thread I presume one is allowed to point out sneering ad hominem...

"Ok Pete...I'll dumb it down for you..."

Gruffalux wrote: »
    On a feedback thread I presume one is allowed to point out sneering ad hominem...

"Ok Pete...I'll dumb it down for you..."

Noted and post edited, my bad.

osarusan wrote: »
    All those terms are stupid and petty, and do those using them no favours (EDIT: although I will admit I laughted the first time I saw SCROTUS being used 4 years ago).

Lets not kid ourseleves here, maybe it can be explained as Impeached POTUS, but there's no doubt it's a play on the word impotent.

But originally that's not what it was.

People take words and change them for their own purposes (fag used to be a ciggy, gay used to mean happy etc) but I use #IMPOTUS as it was meant in its original context and see no issue in continuing to use it in that context.

If Trumps biggest fan on boards has an issue with that then he should report my posts and let mods/admin decide if it can be used in that context.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Necro wrote: »
    Well I for one cannot wait for this election to be over with so all this petty idiotic nonsense goes away.

Please please make it stop

Don't think that genie will go back in the bottle I'm afraid.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

But originally that's not what it was.

People take words and change them for their own purposes (fag used to be a ciggy, gay used to mean happy etc) but I use #IMPOTUS as it was meant in its original context and see no issue in continuing to use it in that context.

If Trumps biggest fan on boards has an issue with that then he should report my posts and let mods/admin decide if it can be used in that context.
    Again, lets not kid ourselves - if it had not resembled the word impotent, the term IMPOTUS would never have been coined.

Again, lets not kid ourselves - if it had not resembled the word impotent, the term IMPOTUS would never have been coined.

Thats your take on it and its an opinion that you are entitled to hold. Conway explained what it meant when he coined it and I will go with his explanation over someone's "it sounds like X so it must mean X"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

The meaning of phrases can be changed over time I suppose, especially neologisms which are often whimsical. Can we all at least agree that ''Ridin with Biden'' means so much more than it used to? :)

Gruffalux wrote: »
    The meaning of phrases can be changed over time I suppose, especially neologisms which are often whimsical. Can we all at least agree that ''Ridin with Biden'' means so much more than it used to? :)

Didnt need that picture in my head :pac:

The first time I seen it used on here I thought someone had misspelled impetus.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's fair comment Pete, but I only recall seeing reports about "Sleepy Joe" since the first thread "Outlawed" it. I certainly am not reading through thise election threads. We gave enough going on with the reports we do get (across both forums) with the rising temperatures over the election and lockdiwn

I think similar principles should apply to Trump. I'm only on mobile at present but would be happy to make that clear in the election threads when I get chance

TBH we already have too many election threads but each one has already gained a log of traction. Once one reaches the 10k limit I think it best to move subsequent discussions into one of the others (and create a Megathresd). I suspect they are all going over similar ground (but that's only based on the reports I have seen)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

To clarify, i told a poster to stop using that phrase because when it was being used, it was being used to rile up and troll the 'other side'. On that basis, happy to keep an eye out for similar phrases used to describe Trump.

Ill echo the sentiment that the sooner the US election is behind us, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Baggly wrote: »
    To clarify, i told a poster to stop using that phrase because when it was being used, it was being used to rile up and troll the 'other side'. On that basis, happy to keep an eye out for similar phrases used to describe Trump.

Ill echo the sentiment that the sooner the US election is behind us, the better.

Trump is rarely mentioned without a jibe at his supporters added in with the sole intention of riling up the "other side "

It's also the same posters over and over again who at this stage know that they can do so with impunity.

If a mod was to access a Trump thread ban list the common denominator would be those who post in favour of Trump.
    Not a level playing field

Trump is rarely mentioned without a jibe at his supporters added in with the sole intention of riling up the "other side "

It's also the same posters over and over again who at this stage know that they can do so with impunity.

If a nod was to access a Trump thread ban list the common denominator would be those who post in favour of Trump.
    Not a level playing field

Well then by all means report these instances and the mods will take a look at them. Mods have way too much to do to read each post in every thread in each of our fora so we do rely on posters to bring issues to our attention.

Well then by all means report these instances and the mods will take a look at them. Mods have way too much to do to read each post in every thread in each of our fora so we do rely on posters to bring issues to our attention.

I tried that many a time as did others. Empty words. Not you personally but in general

Edit. I see mod Beasty has taken action and we are essentially starting on a level playing field so il hold my comments and see what happens

Thanks

• Advertisement

I tried that many a time as did others. Empty words. Not you personally but in general

Edit. I see mod Beasty has taken action and we are essentially starting on a level playing field so il hold my comments and see what happens

Thanks

Ok thanks. FWIW, i cant remember seeing any such reports - hand on heart.

Ok thanks. FWIW, i cant remember seeing any such reports - hand on heart.

Well that's fair enough.

So just to clarify having a go at people because of their political beliefs or attaching derogatory and snide labels to same is no longer permitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Medical evidence that the mental status of the next president is relevant to the election... this is what we're dealing with. It shouldn't take a genius to figure this out from either side of the debate.

I don't have special insight, neither do they so the idea that it can be conclusive that old age doesn't affect Biden, or that Trump is lacking empathy is beyond parody.

Trump is an 'idiot' per astrofool, and no we don't have the medical evidence confirming that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Trump is an 'idiot' per astrofool, and no we don't have the medical evidence confirming that

You don't need medical evidence for that ... A look at his twitter and incoherent ramblings during his rallies would suffice

Medical evidence that the mental status of the next president is relevant to the election... this is what we're dealing with. It shouldn't take a genius to figure this out from either side of the debate.

I don't have special insight, neither do they so the idea that it can be conclusive that old age doesn't affect Biden, or that Trump is lacking empathy is beyond parody.

Stupidity/idiocy are not considered to be medical conditions though.

*Medical evidence there is an issue with their mental status.

Without actual medical evidence, its just a conspiracy theory. We have a separate forum for that.

Stupidity/idiocy are not considered to be medical conditions though.

That's correct. It's an opinion.

Just like someone could let their opinion about Biden be known. They might be of the opinion that he is creepy. Creepy Joe Biden if you will.

Would that opinion be allowed?

That's correct. It's an opinion.

Just like someone could let their opinion about Biden be known. They might be of the opinion that he is creepy. Creepy Joe Biden if you will.

Would that opinion be allowed?

Thats a question you would have to ask the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

*Medical evidence there is an issue with their mental status.

Without actual medical evidence, its just a conspiracy theory. We have a separate forum for that.

Do you know what a conspiracy theory is? Because It doesn't sound like it. Sounds like you're using a buzz word instead of making an argument.

What is the conspiracy? That when I see Joe Biden being unable to tell what state he is in that there is a cabal of people making me write that in a post?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

To clarify, i told a poster to stop using that phrase because when it was being used, it was being used to rile up and troll the 'other side'.
    This is exactly the point

Anyone referring to Biden as "creepy" can expect sanction - all you are doing is winding up Biden's supporters

And yes it works the other way. If someone refers to Trump as a "rapist" or "moron" they can expect action.

Hopefully that draws a line under this specific point

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement