Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,289 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

McMurphy wrote: »
    Maybe have a word with one of the mods so, because when I queried the yellow I was told "they're aware and it's been reported to admin and being investigated"

As admin, you're presumably part of the crowd that's investigating it, and I'm not the only poster that's noted the rereg either.
    I have had limited time on the site recently due to a number of medical issues

I've now seen the post where you openly accused a poster of being a re-reg, and I can confirm I can find no evidence to support any such allegations. Maybe report rather than trying to take things into your own hands? Then you can advise us who you think they could be a re-reg of, as then I could do a more in-depth review

Anyway, this is all off-topic for this thread. Please take it to PM if you wish to discuss this further

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thread like the Helen McEntee one make you wonder why you bother visiting a forum populated by such obnoxious d!ckheads.

osarusan wrote: »
    Thread like the Helen McEntee one make you wonder why you bother visiting a forum populated by such obnoxious d!ckheads.

Pretty much the usual cast of the undateables reboot, people who like to blame anyone else but themselves for what ever is wrong with their lives and shills that appear in most threads like it and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

osarusan wrote: »

That thread wasn’t started in good faith. It was started as a dog whistle and achieved what it set out to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    That thread wasn’t started in good faith. It was started as a dog whistle and achieved what it set out to do.

Obviously so, and hopefully their blatant bad faith posting will be something the mods notice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

I just don't post in the forum and as a result I enjoy my time on the site. It's the same nonsense over and over again. It's beyond me what people get posting the same things onto a message board repeatedly. A shame because you do get good contibutions here and there in fairness but the sheer volume of negativity, hatred and bigotry just isn't worth it IMO.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So Boards and its users should tolerate hatred and bigotry? "Sure just ignore it if you don't like it" ?

Really?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So Boards and its users should tolerate hatred and bigotry? "Sure just ignore it if you don't like it" ?

Really?

I was just giving my own two cents. I neither set or have I any input whatsoever into Boards policy.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

The perennial problem is that many posters are eager to define any opinion with which they disagree as "hatred and bigotry," when often the views being expressed don't rise to that level at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Very blatant Far Right propaganda nonsense from Gemma & Co is starting to infiltrate the Covid forum since the vaccine was announced

Please be more vigilant to it. Mis/Dis-information is going to be everywhere from these eejits

Maybe a rule that no one with less than 500 posts can start a new thread in this Sub?

Something like this is needed or the Mods are in for a tough 6-12 months ahead with troll accounts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Invidious wrote: »
    The perennial problem is that many posters are eager to define any opinion with which they disagree as "hatred and bigotry," when often the views being expressed don't rise to that level at all.

It depends on your perspective. A hate-filled bigot, for example, is unlikely to read some of the bigoted, hate-filled crap that gets spouted in Current Affairs and think to himself (or indeed herself), "there's a lot of hatred and bigotry in this forum". Whereas everyone else is disgusted by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Something like this is needed or the Mods are in for a tough 6-12 months ahead with troll accounts

Not necessarily - they could just carry on being absolutely pathetic and useless, doing fuck-all about the racism problem. Why bother dealing with it when it's easier to dish out infractions to anyone who calls a racist a racist.

.anon. wrote: »
    It depends on your perspective.

This part, correct.

The rest, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It depends on your perspective. A hate-filled bigot, for example, is unlikely to read some of the bigoted, hate-filled crap that gets spouted in Current Affairs and think to himself (or indeed herself), "there's a lot of hatred and bigotry in this forum". Whereas everyone else is disgusted by it.

What I find strange is when the racist, etc., posters get “done” for their nonsense and then you find them starting threads in the “Dispute Resolution” forum bleating about being “targeted” by the mods.

And, worse still, they start dragging in other posters like a school child after they’ve been scolded, bottom lip trembling ‘but dey cwall’d me a...a...a WAAAYSIST!!!’.

On a separate point, the “Wokeism of the Day” thread in AH is like having a CA embassy in there. I think it could really come into its “own” if it were sent over there. Just a suggestion.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Surprised you didnt suggest that sooner, tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

What I find strange is when the racist, etc., posters get “done” for their nonsense and then you find them starting threads in the “Dispute Resolution” forum bleating about being “targeted” by the mods.

And, worse still, they start dragging in other posters like a school child after they’ve been scolded, bottom lip trembling ‘but dey cwall’d me a...a...a WAAAYSIST!!!’.

On a separate point, the “Wokeism of the Day” thread in AH is like having a CA embassy in there. I think it could really come into its “own” if it were sent over there. Just a suggestion.

Yes. I agree. Send it our way so it can be given the attention it deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Surprised you didnt suggest that sooner, tbh

I’m not sure, but I may have mentioned it in the early stages of the thread, itself, Q.

Aside from being a CA “staging point” my other fear is that it would get locked in AH and, to me, that would be a shame because it’s actually a decent thread. Aside for some “uncivil”, and personal, attacks which, I’m sure, we would all condemn.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Not necessarily - they could just carry on being absolutely pathetic and useless, doing fuck-all about the racism problem. Why bother dealing with it when it's easier to dish out infractions to anyone who calls a racist a racist.

Have never seen a racist post or poster last longer than an hour max on Boards

It's, rightly, stamped out immediately

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Have never seen a racist post or poster last longer than an hour max on Boards

It's, rightly, stamped out immediately

I've seen plenty of dog whistle threads go on for a fair bit and the posters haven't been banned. Can also think of a poster who is still happily posting horrible views after saying refugees on boats should be killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Invidious wrote: »
    The perennial problem is that many posters are eager to excuse any and all bigotry as "just a different opinion" or set a standard so comically high that it's functionally impossible to meet.
    Why bother dealing with it when it's easier to dish out infractions to anyone who calls a racist a racist.
    That remains the most mystifying aspect of rule enforcement on the site, symptomatic of the wider problem of punishing the people who respond to trolls rather than the trolls themselves.

Past a point, all the bluster about racism not being allowed appears to be nothing more than arse-covering. How many times now has it been brought to their attention and yet nothing beyond meaningless platitudes are offered? **** or get off the pot; don't say it's not tolerated and then brazenly tolerate it. Don't put rules in charters about it and then do nothing with them.

If you're scared about driving away potential traffic then consider the kind of people you're driving away instead and what kind of userbase you're eventually going to be left with. CA may not yet be as bad as, say, Voat, but that's the direction it's headed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Acosta

The CA forum is an absolute sewer at the moment. I've never seen it this bad in my time here. If it gets much worse they'll have the rename it the national party forum.

Acosta wrote: »
    The CA forum is an absolute sewer at the moment. I've never seen it this bad in my time here. If it gets much worse they'll have the rename it the national party forum.

Could you post some examples for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No it's not ,

It's always find it funny how people who don't post in certain forums are happy to sit there making various claims about what's in threads and never backing it up ,
    I've seen claims of threats of violence and other fantastical claims being made in various threads but yet nobody else sees it including mods ,cmods and admins.

Could you post some examples for all to see.

The child grooming thread over the past 24 hours is full of racist and islamophobic posts.
    Gatling wrote: »
    No it's not ,

It's always find it funny how people who don't post in certain forums are happy to sit there making various claims about what's in threads and never backing it up ,
    I've seen claims of threats of violence and other fantastical claims being made in various threads but yet nobody else sees it including mods ,cmods and admins.

I regularly post on plenty of threads on the CA forum. These days I tend to stay well clear of the threads that attract far right undesirables. I do this because I have no interest in engaging with these people and I have previously reported racist posts which were not removed.
    Not that anyone needs to post on these threads to report them if they feel the need. I'm sure many just read more than they post on boards. I do try to stay away from even reading these threads, but I ended up reading some of them yesterday and some of it was utterly disgusting.

By the way I am not saying that everyone I disagree with on these types of topics are racist or hateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The child grooming thread over the past 24 hours is full of racist and islamophobic posts.

You still haven't shown us any racist posts. You say "full" yet haven't managed one example.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

TomTomTim wrote: »
    You still haven't shown us any racist posts. You say "full" yet haven't managed one example.

What they are full of are posters bafflingly deflecting and defending child rapists by the usual tactics of “racism” and “far right” accusations.

And one really pathetic example of conflating organized gangs of rapists from a particular cultural background with a report on a ”gang rape” which whilst sickening is nowhere near on the same level as 30-40 men targeting hundreds of vulnerable young children.

Be realistic. If the media has reported on a case of child grooming, named the suspects and those suspects are members of a Muslim community and this kind of thing has happened numerous times what do you expect people to post?

These are the facts of what happened and same has happened before. There was controversy with police not investigating previous now known incidents on a large scale and throughout the UK.

Virtue signalling is just ignoring what happened and being more focused on the language of posters.
    People come to discuss what happened and society in general. Society is real life.

What you are on is some sort of side mission.

There are now four posters banned from the thread about the child sexual exploitation arrests thread for “taking it off topic” and yet they are trying to get it back ON topic following “but the priests did worse”.

The goal - stated outright - of some posters is to have the discussion ended. The moderation is helping them on that thread.

TomTomTim wrote: »

I'm not sure it's appropriate for me to be posting what I believe to be racism on this thread. I'm pretty sure the procedure is to report these posts and let the mods deal with it. And I have already done this. I have told you where to find it.
    Gervais08 wrote: »
    What they are full of are posters bafflingly deflecting and defending child rapists by the usual tactics of “racism” and “far right” accusations.

And one really pathetic example of conflating organized gangs of rapists from a particular cultural background with a report on a ”gang rape” which whilst sickening is nowhere near on the same level as 30-40 men targeting hundreds of vulnerable young children.

If certain posters could discuss these issues without demonising an entire religion and rattling off the usual islamphobic and racist rubbish people wouldn't complain. It's clear a few people have an agenda given the amount of threads like this popping up almost daily.
    Given the state of your posts over most of these threads I wouldn't expect you to agree.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure it's appropriate for me to be posting what I believe to be racism on this thread. I'm pretty sure the procedure is to report these posts and let the mods deal with it. And I have already done this. I have told you where to find it.

If certain posters could discuss these issues without demonising an entire religion and rattling off the usual islamphobic and racist rubbish people wouldn't complain. It's clear a few people have an agenda given the amount of threads like this popping up almost daily.
    Given the state of your posts over most of these threads I wouldn't expect you to agree.

I wouldn’t agree because you’re posting nonsense here.

How pray tell is it possible to discuss rape grooming gangs comprised of 84% Pakistani and Bangladeshi men without discussing why the percentage is so high??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement