Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private hospital cost

• 20-06-2019 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭

I have been refered privately for an issue that I was sure would be covered by medical insurance but because I had a break in my cover in the last 5 years I am now scared they won't cover. I am not even having an operation but will have a bill for over € 2500 for tests. If I have to have an operation Lord knows how much it would cost. I am scared to continue all because they can argue my condition is prexisting before the date of my insurance even although it wasn't an issue til recently. Has anybody any experience of this. It's not on my medical file but when I spoke to the consultant he thinks the condition I have started many years ago. is a pre-existing condition deamed when you seek medical attention for it or something you have lived with happily for years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,057 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Iis a pre-existing condition deamed when you seek medical attention for it or something you have lived with happily for years

Yes.

They won't approve cover before treatment.

They might afterwards IF the doc says it wasn't likely pre-existing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Selfbuilder14

Yes.

They won't approve cover before treatment.

They might afterwards IF the doc says it wasn't likely pre-existing.

Thanks not likely I will have cover, I would never have sought treatment if I thought I wasn't covered. According to the consultant I was born with a weakness and showing up now as I get older. He's not likely to change in his opinion , even if I was unaware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

The consultant will only put dates that symptoms were noticed and treatment begin in the notes and highly unlikely to sign any insurance forms to your detriment.

Ive had treatment covered in my 30s for something that the underlying problem exists since I was 12 years old but when filling out the forms I put down that i had started to experience symptoms from a few weeks before I first went to a GP about it.

The consultant simply signed off on the forms too.

When they tell you a weakness may have been there since years ago that is only an opinion. There is no way of proving when it began. So thats just something they will say to you in conversation but wont go into the notes or the forms for insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Selfbuilder14

Thanks, you have put my mind at rest.

Advertisement