Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidentally went to responsive site on Safari, can’t get back to the legacy site.

Options
  • 20-06-2019 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I accidentally clicked on the Responsive Site link whilst browsing on Safari the other day. I clicked Legacy Site but it won’t bring me back. I’ve logged out and logged back and also tried it whilst logged out but nothing worked. I’m using the legacy site on Chrome now but I prefer Safari.

Is there a fix for this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Clear cookies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Same for me on Chrome on mobile. The site will switch to desktop mode from touch by itself and then when I go to 'followed threads' it switches to responsive and I can't get out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The legacy Site link seems to link to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Clear cookies?

Will give that a go.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Would certainly recommend clearing your cache. If you continue to have issues you may have to clear site data and find anything related to Boards.ie. If opening Boards in an incognito window works as you would expect it too, it is a caching issue.

• Advertisement

The legacy Site link seems to link to nothing.

Yeah, if you hold on the link, this is what appears:

09-CC7-AEE-52-E2-4-F83-9289-DE972570-BF12.jpg

Boards.ie Employee

Have alerted the development team to the issue so it should get looked into next week.

Went onto Responsive Site myself and did indeed get locked onto it. But the good news is that clearing browsing data (this is Google Chrome, but the theory should carry across) worked for me and I could access Legacy Site again.

Oh my god, it’s just randomly gone to the responsive site here on Chrome too! And again, won’t switch back! I don’t have a laptop, so this will be my last post until I can switch back to the legacy site. That’s not a threat or anything, it’s just the reality.

Oh, should say I don’t really want to clear my browsing data. So that could be a fix but I don’t want to do it. And I don't think I should have to really.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

On Chrome at least, you can clear browsing data etc. just for boards.ie. I had a similar experience recently and resolved it that way, although I did have to play around a bit having cleared the data to get back to the legacy site on all devices.

• Advertisement

Bit the bullet and cleared the browsing date in Chrome, which worked.

Thanks, all.

Oh, can I just ask, will there be a fix for it? I’d love to start using the site on Safari again but I’m just not willing to sacrifice my lovely, lovely browsing history, there are so many handy prompts in it. It was easier to do so in Chrome because I barely use it.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

One of the guys is looking into a fix for this at the moment ODB so we'll update here when we have a fix ready.

Thank you so much, back to Legacy on Safari!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Can't access touch, can't post and page stake three attempts to load. All other sites are fine.

Boards.ie Employee

Hi there,

Are you getting a Not Found error after trying to go to the Responsive Site? Can you reload Boards, i.e. can you type touch.boards.ie into the address bar again and does that bring you to the site (it may be slow)? From there, you should be able to select Legacy Site in the footer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Any word on this being fixed? I cannot clear cache for individual sites and don't want to lose settings for all sites.

Boards.ie Employee

Hi Heighway61,

A fix has been rolled out and it should just be a matter of selecting Legacy Site from the footer.

Hi Mark,

If I type www.boards.ie into the address bar the URL changes to www.boards.ie/b/. When I click on Legacy Site the page doesn't change, just reloads. The Legacy Site link is a javascript link - location.reload();

If I type touch.boards.ie in the address bar the URL changes to www.boards.ie/b/

Thanks.

Boards.ie Employee

Unfortunately, as it was a Javascript change, it is likely that a cache clear is required here. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If you use an incognito browsing window, are you able to switch between Responsive Site (my produce an error page initially, but will load) and the Legacy Site on touch.boards.ie?

• Advertisement

Yes, incognito mode is fine.

Sorry, I shouldn't have to clear cache for all my web sites and won't be doing so. I will continue to use incognito mode which means we both lose out.

Boards.ie Employee

Please try (Chrome) Settings -> Site Settings -> Tap 'All Sites' -> Search for boards.ie -> Clear & reset

When I see what the hyperlink for legacy site is the link address is still about blocked

Followed instructions, worked fine. Thanks mark

Boards.ie Employee

Advertisement