Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy straw?

Options
  • 20-06-2019 10:10pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for another stupid question. I have STRAWBERRY plants starting to fruit and keep reading I should put down a bed of straw for them.

Where can I buy it? I'm in Dublin btw. Or can I use bark or another alternative?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Pet shop. Rabbit bedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dried grass, or hay, will do just as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Dried grass, or hay, will do just as well.

Will it not attract slugs as it fits?

Will it not attract slugs as it fits?

No more so than straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I used a thick layer of wood chippings last year with good results. Didn't notice any difference between it and the pet shop bedding I normally use.

Trying it again this year just in case it was a fluke :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

fiacha wrote: »
    I used a thick layer of wood chippings last year with good results. Didn't notice any difference between it and the pet shop bedding I normally use.

Trying it again this year just in case it was a fluke :)

I suppose the advantage is that it's too rough for slugs to go over

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Find a local farmer may have a bale or two left over. Straw has the the advantage of being better for the soil when it rots etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Can you use cardboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mooooo wrote: »
    Find a local farmer may have a bale or two left over. Straw has the the advantage of being better for the soil when it rots etc

also straw has no seeds in it as hay does. and lets more air in than hay . and yes farmers will be glad to use older bales. Going to see my own farmer neighbour about this soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Roen wrote: »
    Can you use cardboard?

You mean plant through holes made in it? To keep the berries off muddy ground? Why not?

• Advertisement

Roen wrote: »
    Can you use cardboard?

You can but it needs to be fairly thick or it will get soggy when wet. If the protection is keep the berries dry and mud free you can buy strawberry mats or make them from weed membrane.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You can but it needs to be fairly thick or it will get soggy when wet. It the protection is keep the berries dry and mud free you can but strawberry mats or make them from weed membrane.

Do you mean I can use weed control fabric? I've loads of that

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you mean I can use weed control fabric? I've loads of that

Cut it into squares like these

https://suttons.s3.amazonaws.com/p/SUMUL22233_3.jpg

Advertisement