Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Boiler Recommendation - maybe with Opentherm or similar

Options
  • 21-06-2019 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a new high efficiency Oil boiler and really haven't a clue of models or what not. It would be to heat underfloor heating and radiators upstairs. I expect a large enough one, 50-70kW. I would like to have it quite smart/able to be hooked up smartly with the UFH for zonal control, possibly Opentherm ready or something similar. I would like to program the system or control it via mobiles etc.

Would you guys have any recommendations, please? I would really appreciate your experience with Zonal control systems for UFH with an Oil boiler too. What system do you use?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

How big is your house? That's a huge boiler, especially given your HLI (from the heat pump thread)

I've a Grant Vortex 50/90 set to the factory default of 23 kw which is too big for my house since I had insulation works carried out. I'm planning to reduce its output to either 15 or 20 kw (135 sq meter house, HLI 2.13).

I've got two Nest thermostats to cover three zones (no UFH though). It works very well, learns along the way and produces a basic monthly report (stats are available at any time from the app). Electric Ireland have a discount deal on them but other electricity providers will probably have something similar. My sister has a Heatmiser and it seems to be rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

The house itself is 238m2 for the UFH downstairs and the converted section is approx 70m2 with the rads. So its fairly large, hence I expect to need a large enough boiler.

I looked into the Nests but they don't work with UFH so can't get those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

I looked into the Nests but they don't work with UFH so can't get those.

They should be ok with a wet UFH system:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9251766?hl=en-GB

Advertisement