Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaps in cv due to sickness

Options
  • 21-06-2019 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi Folks,

I have been qualified as secondary teacher for over 6 years and have wandered from maternity cover to casual subbing and back.

I have a number of gaps in my CV due to a long term illness that has dogged me since college.

I feel better now but my CV is patchy and I have alot of gaps anywhere up to 3 months (not referring to summer hols).

How do I explain these without going into huge detail over illness and would I better just to step away from teaching given the time I have been qualified for and my on/off career to date?

Appreciate any wisdom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just mark it down as sickness.
    Unlikely they will even ask why and doesn't matter why - should only matter if they need to take into account any current illness that they may have to take into account for offering the position (like disability for example where you may need wheelchair access)

Better to be honest from the outset

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

YOu don't have to give details but don't leave unexplained gaps. Some people think its better to leave a gap than say travel for 12 months etc whereas its better to say what you were doing or why there is nothing for a certain year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Plenty teachers have gaps of unemployment on their CVs. It's the nature of the job these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I have gaps in my CV as great as the Gap of Dunloe due to unemployment and I stated that in CV.

When called to interview I assumed that my CV was read beforehand and all the panel were aware of same and I always brought copies of rejection letters as proof as efforts to get a job and I told them this also. They never wanted to see them.

I also assumed that there was a chance the panel had not looked at my CV beforehand -well would you believe that!. At the start when they asked to tell them 'a little about yourself' the first thing I said was that any gaps was because of unemployment. That clears that immediately and knocks them back a little. It means nobody can say during the interview 'And what happened you/what were you doing from...?

Either way I was covered and the truth was there in front of them.

Specific to yourself, I would not step aside if I were you. You never know about the people interviewing you. You don't know how many of them themselves have been ill or seriously sick over periods of time and who happen to admire you for applying and attending interviews despite that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I had that too. Was asked twice about it. First time I was honest but they were incredulous in their response and the second time I was asked I again was honest but explained to them the various volunteer work I had done during that gap. A lot know better than to ask but unfortunately there are some panels and principals out there who think you should walk in to a job upon graduation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement