Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm or hot with thunderstorm potential Sun eve 23rd---->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

14° Here on the Laois/kildare border full cloud cover and feeling a lot fresher and cooler than yesterday. Disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Although it's been cloudy most of the morning, the sun's been shining for the last while here in Dublin 11. But the temperature hasn't changed much. It's currently 14.3C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

reg114 wrote: »
    https://meteoradar.co.uk/clouds-sun-UK-Ireland is updated every 5 mins . Looks like much of Britain is covered in cloud too. For sun in ireland the south coast and the south west seem to be best placed so far today.
    Reversal wrote: »
    The NW spent much of last years summer under similar gloomy conditions while the rest of the country had the best summer in decades. Maritime climate unfortunately.

Yes. It's the bloody unpredictability that gets me though. You can never plan for anything in Ireland.

I mean if the forecast on Sunday had said 'cool and cloudy all day Monday through Wednesday with a better chance of sun on Thursday and average temps' you'd cope a bit better. But we're told 'sun and 22 degrees' instead.

People were complaining about the beaches being closed this week right in the middle of the 'hot spell', but in retrospect it's actually been the perfect three days to have to close!

I mean for Dublin at least last Saturday was the peak of this 'hot spell' even though the forecast was poor.

My worst fear is that after this cool summer (which it probably will turn out to be unless August is record breaking) we're going to get another mild/warm winter to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

It really has been a disaster in terms of forecasting. And before anyone has a go at me, I'm thinking about the 99% of people who never use weather related forums such as this and rely on the media to get the weather. They will be wondering where is the big heat? Don't be surprised if 24 is the highest we get between now and the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

No. I think we will get 26c or 27c tomorrow. The air over us tomorrow is very warm.

Heatwave is 3 days over 25c I think or is it 5?

We will get 2 or maybe 3.

Thursday to Saturday are the days.

Then cooler and fresher.

Currently 18c and cloudy STILL

I see fog cloud is pushing down to affect the North this evening so might be 14c to 24c this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely day in cork city, pity about the east coast!

Currently about 20/21 degrees and sunny this morning which is brilliant at 10:15! Loving how this week has gone so far. Yesterday evening turned out lovely after an overcast start and hopefully tomorrow will continue how today has!

A bit of a fresh breeze is helping to keep the humidity levels bearable which overall makes it feel a lot more pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lovely day in cork city, pity about the east coast!

Currently about 20/21 degrees and sunny this morning which is brilliant at 10:15! Loving how this week has gone so far. Yesterday evening turned out lovely after an overcast start and hopefully tomorrow will continue how today has!

A bit of a fresh breeze is helping to keep the humidity levels bearable which overall makes it feel a lot more pleasant

In the ten years I lived in Cork City I remember one summer which wasn't largely a wash out.

Based on that alone I'll say you deserve it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

lawred2 wrote: »
    In the ten years I lived in Cork City I remember one summer which wasn't largely a wash out.

Based on that alone I'll say you deserve it :)

Haha it often happens that the east, south east and west are sunny while we are covered in cloud! Looks like we seem to have taken the easts spot haha. Suppose we had last year too though but that was an exception :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

It really has been a disaster in terms of forecasting. And before anyone has a go at me, I'm thinking about the 99% of people who never use weather related forums such as this and rely on the media to get the weather. They will be wondering where is the big heat? Don't be surprised if 24 is the highest we get between now and the weekend.

Seriously?
    No public forecast I saw had any heat forecast before wenesday
    Are you just writing now for writing sake or what?
    All public forecasts mentioned cooler temperatures on exposed coasts,that's normal
    There will be a 27 somewhere before Saturday, most likely well inland,probably mid western north Midlands or thereabouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Every day this week you have predicted a different max temp that we'll see. The irony that you complain about inconsistent forecasting....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very dissapointing here in Meath, cool, cloudy and a chilly breeze, only 13C. Jumper back on. The GFS has been on the ball with the low ground temperature predictions so far. Feels almost as cool as it did a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jaysus windy and getting cooler here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Touching 20C in Tralee, balmy. Cloud building over the mountains but good blue skies and sunshine since early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

BLAZING sunshine here this morning,West Mayo, you could feel the intensity in the sun even at 6am.Tomorrow looks like we might reach 29 degrees, it really has been a great week so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

A lot of people here are located in the Dublin region. The official Met Eireann forecast for tomorrow in the Dublin region:

"Tomorrow, Thursday, will be another dry and sunny day. It will become slightly warmer with top temperatures reaching of 18 to 22 degrees in moderate easterly breezes."

And the National Forecast:
    "Tomorrow, Thursday, will be a dry, fairly sunny but rather breezy day, with the risk of isolated heavy or possibly thundery showers in the southwest. Warm and close for most, with top temperatures reaching of 22 to 27 C., generally, but a few degrees lower along eastern coastal fringes in moderate to fresh east to northeasterly breezes."

As you can see, both are very different with regards to temperatures. It was ALWAYS going to be a good bit cooler near the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

highdef wrote: »
    A lot of people here are located in the Dublin region. The official Met Eireann forecast for tomorrow in the Dublin region:

"Tomorrow, Thursday, will be another dry and sunny day. It will become slightly warmer with top temperatures reaching of 18 to 22 degrees in moderate easterly breezes."

And the National Forecast:
    "Tomorrow, Thursday, will be a dry, fairly sunny but rather breezy day, with the risk of isolated heavy or possibly thundery showers in the southwest. Warm and close for most, with top temperatures reaching of 22 to 27 C., generally, but a few degrees lower along eastern coastal fringes in moderate to fresh east to northeasterly breezes."

As you can see, both are very different with regards to temperatures. It was ALWAYS going to be a good bit cooler near the east coast.

The problem isn't the temperature. We knew it would be cooler all week. It's the wall-to-wall cloud for three days that wasn't forecast that we're complaining about. ME had forecast dry and sunny weather for Tuesday and Wednesday in Dublin also and look what happened! It'll be the same tomorrow.

I understand it's difficult to forecast cloud cover so this is more a rant about how utterly sh*te the Irish climate is as opposed to having a go at ME - although they do seem poorer at forecasting cloud cover in set-ups like these.

I don't think there's any other country where you could have 10-15c uppers and high pressure and be stuck on 17 degrees under a blanket of cloud for three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A sunny afternoon and evening in the capital looks likely. Tomorrow looks sunny too and much of the day on Friday.

Patience needed!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Everyone was expecting the east coast to be slightly cooler, but I don't think anyone was expecting 14 to 17C for the majority of the country today, most of the UK is similar too. This is more than just easterly sea breezes keeping things cooler along the east coast because it's far too widespread. It may warm up a bit more as the day goes along but I don't see 20C being reached for the majority of us today.

Tomorrow should be better for most of us, and Friday too but the warm plume will be starting to move away from us from Friday evening, so any warmth is going to be very short lived at this stage.

As I typed this, the sun is starting to shine, so maybe the second half of today is going to be a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s funny reading about 14 degrees and full cloud cover. It’s 33 degrees here in Greece with zero cloud cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

I have to agree with the disappointing ME forecast for today in my location, Greystones. Was forecast to be sunny almost all day, so far we haven't seen the sun once and I've been up since 7am. It's disappointing when you have a day off and plan it around a sunny forecast, I've had to put layers on today and was hoping to spend some time at the beach. 14c here so quite chilly. Wish those clouds would move off!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely day out here in the Atlantic. Some transient clouds but in between warm sun and a pleasant warm breeze.

re clouds and warmth; one summer up in Orkney we had that combination for literally the entire summer. Not a hint of sunshine for weeks on end. It was in the late 1980s, Crops failed and we had to get in hay and barley from the mainland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

It’s funny reading about 14 degrees and full cloud cover. It’s 33 degrees here in Greece with zero cloud cover.

Please leave and don't come back on the thread until we get to at least 25 degrees here :D. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The great plume of June 2019.

Q0VVNcV.jpg

Was outside at work at 8:30 and felt quite warm here in Leixlip. Went back out at 11 and there was a really cool breeze. Sea breeze from the Irish sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Please leave and don't come back on the thread until we get to at least 25 degrees here :D. Thanks!

Does that apply to me too? I walked 2km to the shops in 37°C at 7pm last night :eek: the promptly forgot about it while enjoying a saunter up and down the "fridge" aisle.

Then, when I walked out the door ... jaaayyyyyysssssss, the heat coming off the tarmac in the carpark. :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Cool and breezy with low cloud on the Dublin coast. Sun should make an appearance in an hour or two

Does that apply to me too? I walked 2km to the shops in 37°C at 7pm last night :eek: the promptly forgot about it while enjoying a saunter up and down the "fridge" aisle.

Then, when I walked out the door ... jaaayyyyyysssssss, the heat coming off the tarmac in the carpark. :eek::eek::eek:

Where are you? Think i would be hugging the air con all night. Hope you have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Where are you? Think i would be hugging the air con all night. Hope you have one!

Still on the Franco-German border, for another three days. No air-con to hug at night (and the aircon at work is broken too :( )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    Everyone was expecting the east coast to be slightly cooler, but I don't think anyone was expecting 14 to 17C for the majority of the country today, most of the UK is similar too. This is more than just easterly sea breezes keeping things cooler along the east coast because it's far too widespread. It may warm up a bit more as the day goes along but I don't see 20C being reached for the majority of us today.

Tomorrow should be better for most of us, and Friday too but the warm plume will be starting to move away from us from Friday evening, so any warmth is going to be very short lived at this stage.

As I typed this, the sun is starting to shine, so maybe the second half of today is going to be a bit better.

In fairness, we have only just entered into the afternoon and there are a good 4 to 5 hours to go until we reach the maximum temperatures today. Cloud is breaking up quite well across many parts of the country now. I'm already seeing temperatures of 20 - 22c in county Cork. That's very respectable for the AM. Many other parts of the country are nudging towards 20c now with just the eastern 1/3 of the country seeing lower temperatures due to the keen onshore breeze.

I feel that as a large majority of posters are resident in the GDA, we are going to see a lot of "complaints" that the temperatures are lower than forecast. A lot of posters are reading the Met Eireann national forecast and assuming this applies to the GDA as well but if you read the Dublin forecast, it tell a different story as I have already mentioned.

I still think 27/28c will be reached in the coming days, somewhere in the western half of the country.

Advertisement