Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm or hot with thunderstorm potential Sun eve 23rd---->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I can see the mcguillycuddy reeks from my office :D

Ah yes I remember them well!

I have an ocean view in almost every direction here... often on both sides at once....blissfully blue

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Sun is finally here where I am in Dublin just in time for home time!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Absolutely perfect summers day in east galway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Stunning day here, clear blue sky over head, and feeling vwry warm in the garden, but i can see cloud building to the north of us, hopefully it stays well away

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snowgal wrote: »
    really Gonzo, Im in Navan and its splitting the stones and its 21c!

It was cloudy and cool here till about 12.

Very sunny since 1pm and it's warmed up somewhat since then. Currently 18C.

Your further inland so that probably helps with the temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Stunning day here, clear blue sky over head, and feeling vwry warm in the garden, but i can see cloud building to the north of us, hopefully it stays well away

Any chance people can say where "here" is when posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Something rarely seen (in warm spells at any rate), at 1500h Mace Head (23 C) was the warmest location of the 25 reporting stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Any chance people can say where "here" is when posting?
    North Meath, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

snowgal wrote: »
    really Gonzo, Im in Navan and its splitting the stones and its 21c!

Love the exaggeration from people in this country about the weather :rolleyes::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Something rarely seen (in warm spells at any rate), at 1500h Mace Head (23 C) was the warmest location of the 25 reporting stations.

Indicative of how deeply the cold surface north easterly is penetrating the country that its suppressed temps all the way in
    This will change Saturday or during Friday as a more southern fetch happens
    Saturday looks continental sourced in the east but coming up across the island as a curved south westerly
    If that happens, temps in the eastern third will shoot up prior to the passage of any cold thunderstorm inducing front,I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Yes Saturday looks like the warmest day on the E. Coast with southerly or SW winds. Unfortunately it looks like the breakdown of the warm spell won't be thundery in nature but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Steve F wrote: »
    Love the exaggeration from people in this country about the weather :rolleyes::)

In the same way somebody in Saudi Arabia would find it bemusing you sweltering in 40 degrees.

It's all relative.
    And the way in which a person perceives warmth is by its very nature a subjective experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The French heat is the real deal, 41 C at Clermont-Ferrand is the highest and numerous 38 or 39 readings, about 34 with 42 humidex in Paris.

I am noting a weak surface frontal zone with pooling of higher dew points in the low 20s running from about Le Mans northeast to Lille, corresponding to the 576 dm thickness contour. But the dynamic warm front is probably further north. When the warmer air surges northwest tonight and tomorrow, it will pour across Ireland and locations in similar thicknesses to central Ireland tomorrow are close to 30 C now, so with any sun breaking through it should start to approach 30 at least west of an Oak Park to Mullingar line. Some of the higher contest entries are quite likely to succeed in my estimation (bias there as I made one).

I agree that Friday could prove just as warm this time from Oak Park to Casement and into western Dublin region. Remains to be seen which day will emerge on top.

Some chance of localized thunderstorm activity tonight and Thursday in Kerry as the complex offshore drifts past and then later in the day any sea breeze boundaries near Donegal Bay could activate, models don't tend to catch these small localized cells but if you get one over your local drainage you will notice the results. Can recall back a few years now one localized heat-induced storm flooding out a small town on the northwest coast, anyone recall the specifics? I think it was either Bundoran or near there. Cars upside down in a culvert is what I recall.

And that sort of thing could happen over just 1% or less of the country with the other 99% blissfully unaware of it.

i can see cloud building to the north of us, hopefully it stays well away

The cloud has arrived, still sunny but a clear blue sky is no more, right here, between lobinstown and slane in county meath

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Duvetdays wrote: »
    Sun is finally here where I am in Dublin just in time for home time!

And it's lovely

The breeze is quite welcome now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

In the same way somebody in Saudi Arabia would find it bemusing you sweltering in 40 degrees.

It's all relative.
    And the way in which a person perceives warmth is by its very nature a subjective experience.

A Saudi would admit that 40 is hot anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

compsys wrote: »
    The problem is that for 3 days in a row sun has been forecast for Dublin right up until the evening prior and it's been nothing but cloud.

Feel your pain, I too was fed up of all that cloud. As a result, I made a GIF of the cloud prediction from today till Saturday on the ECM forecast which has been correct for today so far.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110530552&postcount=167

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Can recall back a few years now one localized heat-induced storm flooding out a small town on the northwest coast, anyone recall the specifics? I think it was either Bundoran or near there. Cars upside down in a culvert is what I recall.

Burnfoot?

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/desperate-plea-to-irish-abroad-to-help-donegal-families-hit-by-massive-flooding

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Bit of a cool wind here in west dublin

You wouldn’t be sitting out in it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The French heat is the real deal ...

Yep, I can confirm that! 38°C with a view of the Vosges to the West and the Black Forest to the East (and if you squint hard and smudge the window a bit, you could convince yourself that you can see the Swiss Alps to the south :pac: ) There's a distinct lack of congestion this evening on the motorway that runs past where I work (traffic is usually at a standstill at this time of day, whereas it's currently flying past) - I reckon loads of people have opted out of working today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

22.9c in West Clare, earlier high of 24.1c in the sunshine.

Fairly cloudy now, some breaks, however it's been without sun now for around half an hour at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Not too bad in Nice, currently 31c humidity 55%, nighttime minima supposed to be 28 or 29c. As long as the humidity stays relatively low it is bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

Steve F wrote: »

jeez its just a phrase, ease up would ye....:rolleyes:

The cloud that arrived in my area of meath was very short lived, its heading south, back to blue sky

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still sunny at Dunshaughlin, temperature maxed out at 18C earlier,back down to 17C now. Hoping to finally break the 20C barrier for the first time this summer on Friday, not sure about tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dining al fresca this evening

Intense sun balanced nicely with that breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Completely overcast in West Clare now. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its only 8c tonight plus theres cool air coming down to Ulster so tomorrow prob

Shannon 30c
    Mt Dillon 29c
    Oak Park 28c

Malin Hd 17c
    Finner 21c

Finally clear skies here in Sligo 22c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was out gardening in cork city. Overcast but warm and humid. Still present to sit out in and the cloud is starting to break up now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Rare that You hear the Republic of Ireland mentioned on the BBC news 24 forecast but they said the strongest of the heat moving into southern and western Ireland friday
    All brief though

Graphics showed very heavy showers over cork Kerry limerick and clsre in the early hours overnight tonight and into tomorrow morning
    Looks like intense storms

Advertisement