Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm or hot with thunderstorm potential Sun eve 23rd---->

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just to illustrate how dull its been in Waterford City today the Max Solar reading at my station was 139W/m2 while the record June value is 1136W/m2. Really has been such an anti climax after yesterday.

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

This spell has been massively anti climatic. This spell was never going to last long, but it looked like 3 to 4 days of very warm or hot conditions, instead we had a cool and cloudy first half, followed by sunny but still cool and windy middle, and a few hours of hazy warm sunshine till lunchtime today. The cloud is back and the plume has shifting to our east. The high uppers did not materialize at ground level due to a number of factors. Apart from the mid west, most places didn't even get one properly warm and sunny day out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I note it was 27°c at Donegal Airport (Carrickfinn) at 2:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

High 850hPa temperature record broken for the UK. Not sure on Ireland's record.

https://twitter.com/WorldClimateSvc/status/1144582850118868992

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Gonzo wrote: »
    This spell has been massively anti climatic. This spell was never going to last long, but it looked like 3 to 4 days of very warm or hot conditions, instead we had a cool and cloudy first half, followed by sunny but still cool and windy middle, and a few hours of hazy warm sunshine till lunchtime today. The cloud is back and the plume has shifting to our east. The high uppers did not materialize at ground level due to a number of factors. Apart from the mid west, most places didn't even get one properly warm and sunny day out of this.

Most of the south of the country also had a very sunny warm day yesterday although admittedly with the strong wind temperatures were not as high as they might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There is a cold front over the southern half of Ireland at the moment. Not much rain except for a thunderstorm clipped the Connemara and West Mayo coast just before Lunchtime. Disappointing temperatures on the south coast as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Limerick didn't amount to much this afternoon.

When the sun came out, it was about 23c. Otherwise 19c and cloudy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Jpmarn wrote: »
    There is a cold front over the southern half of Ireland at the moment. Not much rain except for a thunderstorm clipped the Connemara and West Mayo coast just before Lunchtime. Disappointing temperatures on the south coast as a result.

It's also been drizzling.. all.. day...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

gone very dark here now in Meath, looks like rain, almost dark enough to put the lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

gone very dark here now in Meath, looks like rain, almost dark enough to put the lights on.

Im im Clonee and I don't mind telling you thats put me in quite a mood!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It only got up to 20.7C in Castlebar today, the sun never managed to break through and the humidity rates have been double what they were yesterday, feeling very close and sticky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Would love to know what happened the storm front that was to pass over North Kerry and give us lightening!

Beautiful day here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Everywhere seems to be under that cloud now, its 23C and it's going to be a muggy night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Same in Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Possibly bird flock returns on radar east of Louth? They do not correspond to any visible cloud and seem to swirl around.

I think a brief summary of the fail factor on this warm spell would be that much energy was lost by heating the cool ocean surfaces surrounding Ireland and Britain so that even when land breeze directions became more favourable, a bit of an inversion persisted, at least a capping that prevented full mixing down of those potentially 30-32 C readings. Tomorrow in Britain that may be partially reversed and they may end up getting one really hot day at least in the southeast, thinking the cloud bank will spoll any chances west of about Swindon to Bournemouth.

Although France did not generally underperform, I don't see where it ever got much over 34 in Paris, perhaps tomorrow it will.

The most anomalous heat was around Normandy and Brittany, and they also suffered from very high dew points. Some places probably had a humidex value they have never had before (even on the southwest coast of the Cherbourg peninsula (Cotentin? whatever) I saw a 46 C humidex from 35/24). That is fairly standard stuff around Memphis or Atlanta in the summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

After a gloomy misty drizzly day in west Cork the sky is finally beginning to clear and we may have a few hours of sunshine to end the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Would love to know what happened the storm front that was to pass over North Kerry and give us lightening!

Beautiful day here

I'd be expect a darkening, rather than a lightening, if a storm front was passing over ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Beautiful day here

The models had the right idea but as is common they are NEVER exact pin pointers,they are often give or take 50 kms(crucial obviously in this csse)
    In addition to my tweet below you can add the effect of the over hang of cloud from the storms that did develop out at sea,suppressing heat in western Ireland removing an important ingredient for further or any storm development onshore

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1144668864955002880?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The sun is shining again here in Dublin 11. It's 21.7C. And there's no noticeable wind. The high today was 23.5C, which is also the high for this year. This day last year I recorded 30.1C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

21C at 9pm with no wind though it's cloudy, this is like continental weather. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Doesn’t feel thundery anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

[IMG][/img]48146537397_822ff5aaaf_z.jpgChangeable! by pat, on Flickr

Knocklyon D16

Still dark and a rain look about the sky. Most of today's heat, the only heat of the summer so far going to waste with cloudy skies. In total we clocked up 3 hours of hazy sunshine with a temperature above 20C for this entire spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Skies have cleared in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well we learn something everyday they say.
    On the weather front I learnt that warm uppers is no guarantee of warm weather other than it helping. Today all day in Cork was damp and cool yet uppers were quite high...

On the weather front I learnt that warm uppers is no guarantee of warm weather other than it helping. Today all day in Cork was damp and cool yet uppers were quite high...

it's kinda funny, what happened over the past 3 days is like getting -10 to -20C @850hpa in January but wind from the south and rain falling despite the freezing uppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

they should have built ballymun in cork for a day like today. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

850hPa temperatures should only be used as an indication for the kind of air mass in hand. There’s always different factors to consider (as is natural with pretty much everything in weather) and this week especially Tuesday and Wednesday, the wind direction was a big influence on making it much cooler than what it could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's because a cold front was moving across the country today.
    Cold air being denser moves along the ground. Warm air being lighter was over the approaching cold front.
    The uppers will reduce as the cold front makes more progress.

When a warm front approaches the uppers will rise first as warm air is lighter while the lower levels will still be cold while the warm front pushes away that cold air.

These things work in slants and bulges. There's no such thing as a vertical line from ground to space with cold fronts and warm fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was 10 degrees warmer in Sligo today than Cork at around midday 25c v 15c

Not often you see that

The other way yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gone very dark here; had to turn on the lights.

New Moon

Advertisement