Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you blame him or not, MP manhandles woman protester

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,038 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No but it helps you to make an informed comment. Thought it was obvious but I guess not.

Well, there have been people who watched the video and said that he was only standing in her way and her momentum when she walked in to him caused her to crash in to the pillar so I'm not sure if some are going to get as far as making informed comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

you are protesting, as well as interfering in whatever is going on. either way, a complete non-issue once they were peaceful, which they were.

The people who protested against the Gareth Brook's concerts were also peaceful yet you suggested the guards should have baton charged them. Do you understand the meaning of hypocrisy, I know it's off topic but you do need to be called out on your bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

This didn't happen in Dublin.

It's still called assault in the UK. Jasus wept, our laws are almost identical to the uks laws. What is it about boards.ie that people will post utter nonsense rather than admit that they are wrong.
    elperello wrote:
    I saw an interview with her on one of the UK channels. She said she "won't be pressing charges". No reflection on you for not being aware of that.

Here's the thing. People say that "I won't be pressing charges" only to go ahead in weeks to come and press charges. Worse still she can sue him, whoever organised the gig, the security company & the venue without ever pressing charges.

The police are investigating. If she gives a statement she doesn't get to press charges. That's only in the movies. They use her statement & statements of witnesses & the video footage to bring a case against him. If she doesn't give a statement she can be charged with obstruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

TCM wrote: »
    Without any concern for his own safety he stepped in to prevent what might have been some sort of terrorist attack. Fortunately it wasn't. Well done Mark Field.

"This is what happens when people like you disturb our dinner"

He was annoyed that some uppity plebs disturbed his posh dinner, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

From the poster who once wanted guards to baton charge men,women and children if they attempted to stop a Garth Brookes concert :rolleyes:

Jesus,mary and joesph
    That was like 5 yearz ago

In the imortal words of elsa"let it goooooooooo"

He was annoyed that some uppity plebs disturbed his posh dinner, that's all.

How do you know, did you discuss his actions and reasons for same with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

love this :pac:

As for your man....its not assult imo

But i certainly wouldnt want him going out with any of my siblings either

.....lads on boards honestly thinking this woman was a terrorist for storming a dinner would want to chill the beans too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

_blaaz wrote: »
    Jesus,mary and joesph

A leopard never changes it's spots.

The people on here defending him are, with no exceptions whatsoever, exactly the kind of posters you'd expect to leap to the defence of a boorish thug who carries out an unprovoked assault against a woman. Indeed, I get the impression that his victim being a woman gives them an extra thrill.

Remember when a protester was removed from a Trump rally and Trump said from the stage that he wished they were back in a time when that person would have been carried out on a stretcher?

It seems there are people who privately yearn for such a time as well.

Trump/Farage/Peter Casey, they see it as a rising tide where the western white male recovers some of the ground they think he has recently had stolen from him. Obviously they are ignoring the advantages the same white male has had for x amount of time.

• Advertisement

A leopard never changes it's spots.

Tbf its impressive (or obsessive,idk) youve managed to remember it from 5 years.....i couldnt tell you what i seen on tv earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭elperello

From the poster who once wanted guards to baton charge men,women and children if they attempted to stop a Garth Brookes concert :rolleyes:

Blame it all on my roots
    I showed up in boots
    And ruined your black tie affair
    The last one to know
    The last one to show
    I was the last one
    You thought you'd see there
    And I saw the surprise
    And the fear in his eyes

How do you know, did you discuss his actions and reasons for same with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I am not sure if

A) He was hangry, he was waiting for his Foie Gras and Umbongo, a person he thought was the waitress was coming and he flipped, we all do it right?

OR

B) Teresa May was about to get up on stage and have a dance off with Diversity

He could have handled it a lot better, he could have moved his seat out, stood up and just walked he out without grabbing her. It was fairly pathetic, he face and he jumped up, he was trying so hard. She isnt pressing charges but CPS might have a look especially after May suspended him.

For me the worst part of the video was the end, when they started slow clapping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Remember when a protester was removed from a Trump rally and Trump said from the stage that he wished they were back in a time when that person would have been carried out on a stretcher?

It seems there are people who privately yearn for such a time as well.

Trump/Farage/Peter Casey, they see it as a rising tide where the western white male recovers some of the ground they think he has recently had stolen from him. Obviously they are ignoring the advantages the same white male has had for x amount of time.

Or you know, they are just sick of people thinking they can do whatever they want without repercussion.
    Suppose it’s easier to scream “white male privilege” on your end though...

TCM wrote:
    Without any concern for his own safety he stepped in to prevent what might have been some sort of terrorist attack. Fortunately it wasn't. Well done Mark Field.

Look that's boards.ie nonsense. I know it & you know it. I've been through hundreds of possible cases and dozens of probable cases. I've sat down with the Gardai dozens of times going over videos after a weekend.

This man was not employed as security. This woman seemed to be no threat. A judge will laugh at him if he goes down the terrorist route. Do you not think that the Gardai would have thought of the terrorist thing during the water meters protest? Instead they stood their ground as the public at large verbally abused them. You do realise that we have a right to protest? In every video I have seen this woman did not do anything in a threatening manner. The first bit of aggression on the video is when he assaulted her. Even then she showed no sign of agression. She didn't resist as he manhandled her to the back of the room.

Dude you loose the small credibility you have when you make up stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,229 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

what would the response have been if she had detonated a bomb/drew out a knife and stabbed someone?

will she call 'woman - shouldnt be manhandled' as her defence?

by all means protest but dont be a moron and intrude where you're not invited.

what if she did this, what if she did that. she didn't pull out a bomb or a knife. it was very clear that she was a climate activist there to hold a protest.
    if she pulled out a bomb and set it off, one could likely do nothing.
    if she pulled out a knife, the actual security would deal with it via their training as best they can until the police get there to deal with it.

Do you believe that a protest gives her carte blanche to do as she pleases?

yes as her protesting is non-violent. if it ever did turn violent, then the law is there to deal with it.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Or you know, they are just sick of people thinking they can do whatever they want without repercussion.
    Suppose it’s easier to scream “white male privilege” on your end though...

I'm not saying she (nor did I at any point) that she should have been handed a microphone but there is such a thing as a proportionate response. This was not it.

Do you think the Chinese reaction in Tiananmen was appropriate?

As for the WMP thing. Draw the correlation between the central arguments of Trump/Farage/Casey. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Look that's boards.ie nonsense. I know it & you know it. I've been through hundreds of possible cases and dozens of probable cases. I've sat down with the Gardai dozens of times going over videos after a weekend.

This man was not employed as security. This woman seemed to be no threat. A judge will laugh at him if he goes down the terrorist route. Do you not think that the Gardai would have thought of the terrorist thing during the water meters protest? Instead they stood their ground as the public at large verbally abused them. You do realise that we have a right to protest? In every video I have seen this woman did not do anything in a threatening manner. The first bit of aggression on the video is when he assaulted her. Even then she showed no sign of agression. She didn't resist as he manhandled her to the back of the room.

Manhandled? Sexist. He womanhandled her off the premises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Tbf its impressive (or obsessive,idk) youve managed to remember it from 5 years.....i couldnt tell you what i seen on tv earlier

That particular poster has abhabit of contradicting themself so not that hard to remember their stance on things, especially a particularly nasty thing like calling for baton charges of innocent protestors.

yes as her protesting is non-violent. if it ever did turn violent, then the law is there to deal with it.

Where would you draw the line? Would you be ok with a bunch of vegans storming your meaty wedding day meal, disrupting everything as long as it didn’t get violent?

I'm not saying she (nor did I at any point) that she should have been handed a microphone but there is such a thing as a proportionate response. This was not it.

As for the WMP thing. Draw the correlation between the central arguments of Trump/Farage/Casey. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a.....

Tiananmen Square didn’t happen.

I agree.
    If this idiot left for security they would have removed her without assaulting her. She put up no resistance. Security would have held her by her forearms & marched her out. There was no agression in this woman at all (judging by the video).

He's paying the price now. Suspended & possibly expelled in the future. Possible assault charges and a possible law suit. I'm betting he wished he stayed at home.

Where would you draw the line? Would you be ok with a bunch of vegans storming your meaty wedding day meal, disrupting everything as long as it didn’t get violent?

In his mind they can do as they please as long as they shout ‘peaceful protest’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

What would the actual offence be if that event occured in Ireland ?

What section of law here in Ireland ?

He's paying the price now. Suspended & possibly expelled in the future. Possible assault charges and a possible law suit. I'm betting he wished he stayed at home.

I expect (and hope) that he'll become a milkshake magnet for the foreseeable future too. Whatever about a law suit, he should consider bringing a spare suit wherever he goes. Bit of wordplay there.

Manhandled? Sexist. He womanhandled her off the premises.

He is a he so he manhandled her. If she did the same thing to him then you could call it womanhandled of fluidhandled or something. Jasus I'm getting confused now :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

The gender double standard strikes again!

I expect (and hope) that he'll become a milkshake magnet for the foreseeable future too. Whatever about a law suit, he should consider bringing a spare suit wherever he goes. Bit of wordplay there.

So you're against assualt but also for it. Mmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Jesus,mary and joesph

Hopping on your high horse about something from 5 years ago and using a song from 6 years ago to do it :D

Thanks for pointing the wordplay out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,229 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

From the poster who once wanted guards to baton charge men,women and children if they attempted to stop a Garth Brookes concert

funnily enough, you forgot to mention how said poster said a number of times already that they no longer subscribe to such actions in such situations.
    so another epic fail here from you.
    ah well, good luck next time.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

So you're against assualt but also for it. Mmmm.

All of which brings me neatly back to my first post on this thread.
    I'd be interested to see a Venn diagram of people whose bodies are composed entirely of gammon and people who think this isn't assault.

fc_circle_41698_sm.gif

If they're scared of milkshakes, you'd think they'd be needing smelling salts after seeing that, but nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

He is a he so he manhandled her. If she did the same thing to him then you could call it womanhandled of fluidhandled or something. Jasus I'm getting confused now :)

Can you still get Jasus fluid

Yeah, it was a bit over the top on his behalf, just as the fallout from it has been too but people need to understand boundaries. He overstepped his but only because she overstepped hers.

Tiananmen Square didn’t happen.

Really? Are you sure?

Can you get on to the history writers world wide and tell them they've made a big mistake.

All of which brings me neatly back to my first post on this thread.

Nice to have double standards I suppose.

Yeah, it was a bit over the top on his behalf, just as the fallout from it has been too but people need to understand boundaries. He overstepped his but only because she overstepped hers.

Did she?
    How? She was part of a group that came to complete a peaceful protest. They were identifiable and unarmed.

Protests are an important part of a functioning society. (And I'm not saying every protest is warranted) You deal with them by showing their argument is weak, not be seeking to assault them in to submission or silence.

Really? Are you sure?

Can you get on to the history writers world wide and tell them they've made a big mistake.

Just ask the Chinese government and any Chinese person who has never left China.

A figment of your imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

He had no idea what the intruder was planning to do as the rest of the guests sat there like lemmings, he did exactly right and only used reasonable force.

Having said that, security was a complete shambles, and he was carrying out an act of last resource.

But as usual the twisted media have the innocent party down as the scumbag, and the scumbag intruder as the hero.

Did she? How? She was part of a group that came to complete a peaceful protest. They were identifiable and unarmed.

So a peaceful protest at any private event is ok?

Still sexist. :(

Just ask the Chinese government and any Chinese person who has never left China.

A figment of your imagination.

You probably think you are being funny, these sort of comments actually play in to the stereotype even if I know you don't believe them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

cournioni wrote: »
    The gender double standard strikes again!

Pretty much. She basically got a kick up the hole because she was acting the maggot but because she's a woman he's now a violent white male monster. It's bizarre. You'd swear'd he took a baton to her and hospitalised her.

Did she?
    How? She was part of a group that came to complete a peaceful protest. They were identifiable and unarmed.

Protests are an important part of a functioning society. (And I'm not saying every protest is warranted) You deal with them by showing their argument is weak, not be seeking to assault them in to submission or silence.

They were intruders with unknown intent who forced their way into a private event on private property.

That's not a peaceful protest.

Did she?

Was it a private dinner? Was she entitled to be there? Genuine questions, I just watched the video and assumed she wasn’t.

So a peaceful protest at any private event is ok?

Check my previous posts.
    The right to assemble to protest should be allowed, the right to deal with an assembled protest appropriately should also be allowed.

It was the latter part on which Mr Field failed.

They should never have gotten as far as the hall if it had been handled correctly but it obviously wasn't and organisers were ill prepared.

Aside from protesting, it's not like Frank Gallagher from Shameless could have just rocked up and walked through the hall.

gctest50 wrote:
    What would the actual offence be if that event occured in Ireland ?

You mean when he assaulted her? Did you see the video? He pushed her against the wall. Assault straight away. He then grabbed her by the neck and frog marched her to the end of the hall. Again this is assault. I'd love to see photos of her neck after 24 hours. She'll look like he tried to strangle her.

In court a judge looks at her walking up the room in a non aggressive manner. No weapons. Nothing. Then out of the blue she is attacked. A judge might ask himself /herself, what if this lady was part of the entertainment. What if it was a comic scratch. I vaguely remember Twink at a FG conference. Not sure if John Bruton or Kenny was leader at the time. Anyway this muppet didn't know if she was part of the show or not yet he jumped to his feet and assaulted her several times. She is black and blue right now. I don't need to see her to know that.

What charges do you suppose he'd be charged with here in Ireland for attacking an unarmed woman in such a way?

• Advertisement

You deal with them by showing their argument is weak, not be seeking to assault them in to submission or silence.

So why did the protesters not do this, instead of forcing their way into a private event on private property with concealed intent ?

Advertisement