Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New or used car for disabled driver

• 21-06-2019 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm looking for advice on buying an automatic car for a disabled driver. Either new or used - am currently driving a 2010 Golf.

Must be 3 door, spacious either petrol or diesel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

3 door and spacious doesn’t happen too often these days.

Is the 3 door a definite requirement? I know you want to lift a chair in from inside but maybe a crossover would have a big enough door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Vrt exempt for new buy isn't it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Yes, if you're eligible for this, it is in fact possible to buy a car, own it for a few years and then sell it for more than it cost you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

And used too I think?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    3 door and spacious doesn’t happen too often these days.

Is the 3 door a definite requirement? I know you want to lift a chair in from inside but maybe a crossover would have a big enough door.

Crossover might be too high to get & out of? 3 door cars have longer, wider door frames

• Advertisement

Yep, but even 3 door hatches are becoming rarer these days. They’re still doing a golf 3 door, but a lot of it’s rivals don’t do 3 door anymore.

You can claim residual VRT and VAT for a used car.

How much bigger than the Mk6 Golf do you reckon you’d need?

Not sure if a Ford BMax would be an option or whether the door system would be an advantage. They’re out of production now so used only. Combined with a swivel seat it could be interesting. Not sure if swivel seats can be fitted as seat belt is built into the seat.

You could close the rear door from the seat in the swiveled out position and easily throw the chair in the back. The body is pillarless.

Edit. This has been done (just saw one on YouTube) but they had to fit a secondary seat belt system for the seat. Might be way too much messing.

Yep, but even 3 door hatches are becoming rarer these days. They’re still doing a golf 3 door, but a lot of it’s rivals don’t do 3 door anymore.

You can claim residual VRT and VAT for a used car.

How much bigger than the Mk6 Golf do you reckon you’d need?

Dunno really? I think the Golf is big enough, my current one has one of those pesky centre consoles that kinda gets in the way.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Those Corsas are terrible cars and you would want to be off your head to consider buying a new one. They are finally being replaced with a new model soon too only after 13 years.

• Advertisement

Dunno really? I think the Golf is big enough, my current one has one of those pesky centre consoles that kinda gets in the way.....

Have a look at a Seat Leon SC maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

I'm a disabled driver with a manual wheelchair. I used to have a 3 door Ford Focus which had plenty of space for me to pull the wheelchair across me and place in the passenger seat. I assume Ford are still making them. Currently driving a Ford C-max (albeit a 5 door).

Nope. Ford don’t do a 3 door Focus any more. Toyota not doing 3 door Auris/Corolla, Kia Pro Ceed is now an estate, Opel stopped selling the Astra Sporthatch, Peugeot not doing a 3 door 308 or Renault a Megane, Honda Civic all 5 door, No Citroen C4 or Mazda3. Even Alfa Romeo aren’t doing a 3 door Guilietta as far as I know.

Think you’re left with Audi A3, VW Golf, BMW 1 or 2 series, Seat Leon. MINI,

BMW i3 with a swivel night also be an option but at a disadvantage in regards claiming VRT back.

Nope. Ford don’t do a 3 door Focus any more. Toyota not doing 3 door Auris/Corolla, Kia Pro Ceed is now an estate, Opel stopped selling the Astra Sporthatch, Peugeot not doing a 3 door 308 or Renault a Megane, Honda Civic all 5 door, No Citroen C4 or Mazda3. Even Alfa Romeo aren’t doing a 3 door Guilietta as far as I know.

Think you’re left with Audi A3, VW Golf, BMW 1 or 2 series, Seat Leon. MINI,

BMW i3 with a swivel night also be an option but at a disadvantage in regards claiming VRT back.

Why is the i3 a disadvantage?

What about used cars?

Why is the i3 a disadvantage?

There wouldn’t be much VRT to claim back.

FWIW I was just driving a mk7 Golf and the centre console doesn’t seem to be much higher than the seats. Automatic handbrake on them too which would probably help.

There wouldn’t be much VRT to claim back.

FWIW I was just driving a mk7 Golf and the centre console doesn’t seem to be much higher than the seats. Automatic handbrake on them too which would probably help.

Awkward lifting a wheelchair in and out

Awkward lifting a wheelchair in and out

The mk7 Golf is the newer version of yours. The console doesn’t stick up as much as in yours.

The mk7 Golf is the newer version of yours. The console doesn’t stick up as much as in yours.

Ah ok grand. Think I'll take a look at both the Seat and Golf.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Be worth going in and having a look at a new one and decide from there.

• Advertisement

Be worth going in and having a look at a new one and decide from there.

Snap!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Also, do you need to get the vehicle adapted? If so, the people who do this may have a good idea as to suitable vehicles?

Alkers wrote: »
    Also, do you need to get the vehicle adapted? If so, the people who do this may have a good idea as to suitable vehicles?

I do need adaptions, but I think the equipment can be transferred

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Keithod11

A braun chair topper might be worth looking at.

Keithod11 wrote: »
    A braun chair topper might be worth looking at.

My chair doesn't fold that way

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Keithod11

Have a look at the jazz, not 3 door but iirc the doors open pretty wide

Can I ask, why do you specifically need for a 3 door car? Is your chair something like this or is it bigger/more complex?

pjdarcy wrote: »
    Can I ask, why do you specifically need for a 3 door car? Is your chair something like this or is it bigger/more complex?

Because the doors are longer/wider

Because the doors are longer/wider

It might be worth trying to get into a 5 door if you haven't tried already. Since changing to a 5 door I've found it makes parking easier in some cases. Because the door is shorter, there doesn't need to be as much distance between my car and the car beside me in order to open the door fully.
    However, I appreciate that everyone's disability/ability is unique so what works for me may not work for you.

• Advertisement

Keithod11 wrote: »
    Have a look at the jazz, not 3 door but iirc the doors open pretty wide

My wife has one, but she hoists her chair into her boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I came across this company the other day when searching for somebody else

https://www.donedeal.ie/dealer/wheelchair-cars-ireland

Some of these might be of interest, or even give you a few new ideas

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    I came across this company the other day when searching for somebody else

https://www.donedeal.ie/dealer/wheelchair-cars-ireland

Some of these might be of interest, or even give you a few new ideas

Yeah I know them. We're going down to chat with them later in the year about a vehicle for both of us. Right now I'm thinking of changing my own car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just asking, I don't know. Would electric suit better? just the fact you can plug it in at night and it is charged....you dont have to stop at petrol stations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Before buying a disabled car talk to a converter company.
    list below
    https://www.ddai.ie/nsai-approved-conversion-companies
    Some car are more suitable for conversion than others.

I had a Volvo s60.
    It was possible to put disabled seat it it, but it could only make a 45 degree turn.

Skoda superb below with disabled seat.
    30708311_1732171686843734_3974269070512257246_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQmX1oDJ1WOSuvWuhiMxyao42-rNxW5ILJXjEIezJBfRJY5Lr53MbcJ8NGo-OWHFnnY&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=50580b9f90fadf9cf13eab8015f393ae&oe=5D7EDF57

I look a a new Skoda superb even with vrt back it would have been 30k or more even with up to 16k vrt refund.
    Instead I got a 7 year old Skoda superb for €10,650
    27336210_1653720548022182_1088495415791462294_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_oc=AQnOGFkhokcjjy5p4GBQk8XleAqIS1y6wJ4SR3LV8UvutRnmG9ZN7CQ0WCkqP3C-tls&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=5faaf4ad170a12171b3c8ac2d3ea7a95&oe=5DC46AD5
    The car was exempt of road tax (€570)for the next 2 years and the is a rebate for the cost of fuel used.

VRT & VAT Relief Scheme for Disabled Drivers

The VRT7 scheme provides a range of tax reliefs in connection with the purchase and use of motor vehicles. Motability Ireland are the experts when it comes to the VRT 7 scheme and what you are entitled to. Relief in respect of Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) and Value Added Tax (VAT) may be obtained on the purchase of a vehicle, with a maximum of:

€10,000 for a driver with a disability;

€16,000 for a passenger with a disability.

The Scheme is open to individuals who meet the specified medical criteria and have received a Primary Medical Certificate to that effect. You can apply for relief either as a driver with a disability or a passenger with a disability. Alternatively, there is provision for a family member of a passenger with a disability to apply.

The first step to getting a Primary Medical Certificate is applying through your local Health Service Office (HSE) for an assessment with a Senior Area Medical Officer in the Health Board. Your GP or consultant cannot carry out the assessment.

There are two other categories which are outlined below:

1. Specifically Adapted Vehicles. This category provides Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) and VAT relief of up to €16,000 for the purchase of these vehicles. The vehicle must be held for at least 3 years before resale.

2. Extensively Adapted Vehicles. Certain individuals with disabilities require extensive modifications to their vehicles to take account of their disability, so that the cost of modifications exceeds the cost of the vehicle itself. To enhance the mobility of those persons a category of “extensively adapted vehicle” is being provided for drivers and passengers with disabilities.

To qualify for this enhanced relief, the cost of the adaptations at the time that they were created, must exceed the open market selling price of the vehicle as determined by the Revenue Commissioners (excluding the cost of the adaptations) at the time of the registration of the vehicle.

The VAT and VRT relief in respect of such vehicles shall be up to €22,000. The vehicle must be held for at least 6 years before resale.

Engine Size Limits

The current limits based on engine size are 6,000cc for drivers, passengers, and organisations.

Purchasing a Vehicle

Vehicles can be purchased from an approved motor dealer or privately to avail of the scheme.

Fuel Grant Scheme

Disabled drivers and disabled passengers whose vehicles are tax exempt under the drivers and passengers with disabilities tax relief scheme are entitled to apply for a Fuel Grant.

How do I apply for the Fuel Grant?

The Fuel Grant can be applied for online from the 1st January 2016, using Revenue’s new online service ‘myAccount’ on the Revenue website. This will make the claim process easier as claims can be submitted and processed immediately. You will need your PPS number, mobile or landline number, e-mail address and home address. Go to www.revenue.ie to sign up.

Motor Tax Relief

A vehicle that has been placed onto the scheme is also exempt from the payment of annual motor tax.

For further information visit www.ddai.ie or www.revenue.ie

Disabled Drivers and Toll Roads

Disabled drivers and disabled passengers whose vehicles are tax exempt under the drivers and passengers with disabilities tax relief scheme are exempt from tolls on each toll road in the state. Under the eFlow system in operation on the M50 toll bridge, as you drive under the eFlow gantry on the M50, the photographic equipment will detect your vehicle registration number and recognise that you should not be charged.

On all the other toll roads the toll road operators issue special passes to facilitate such exempt passage. Passes issued by any one operator will be accepted by all other toll road operators.
    https://www.motabilityireland.com/conversions/driver-conversions

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just asking, I don't know. Would electric suit better? just the fact you can plug it in at night and it is charged....you dont have to stop at petrol stations?

Would you have to get a place outside to plug it in? Also wouldn't it add to electricity bills??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Would you have to get a place outside to plug it in? Also wouldn't it add to electricity bills??

Yes, you get outside plug or a charge point installed.

Swapping to a day/night meter means the cost to charge is small.

You would need driveway at house for charge point to make is easier

What about a Nissan Micra?

What about a Nissan Micra?

All 5 door, and smaller than your Golf.

Didn't know that!? Thought there would be a 3 door

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Do you have a PMC

• Advertisement

Manufacturers aren’t bothering with 3 door hatchback models anymore as it isn’t worth the hassle for what they see as a dying segment. Your 3 door hatch buyer of a few years ago is now buying crossovers or just making do with 5 doors.
    That doesn’t help you of course, but that’s the way the market has gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

bazz26 wrote: »
    Those Corsas are terrible cars and you would want to be off your head to consider buying a new one. They are finally being replaced with a new model soon too only after 13 years.

I'm a tad thick but I thought the Corsa mrk4/D came out in 06/07 and the mark 5/ Corsa E came out in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I'm a tad thick but I thought the Corsa mrk4/D came out in 06/07 and the mark 5/ Corsa E came out in 2014.

Was just a heavy facelift of the old car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Was just a heavy facelift of the old car.

Thanks, at the time I got the impression it was a different model.

Yeah 20k for a small automatic car is not cheap but your choices in 3 doors are limited.

Not sure how much I'd get for a 3 door 2010 Golf DSG?? Low mileage, 1 owner. Would need a good bit of repair work

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yeah 20k for a small automatic car is not cheap but your choices in 3 doors are limited.

Bleh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Buy an aventador, no one will care if it’s practical but they won’t forget you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement