Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Indemnity Insurance - QS Evening/Weekend Work

Options
  • 21-06-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi Everyone,

I do not know if this is the correct forum to be asking this (apologies if it is not) but hopefully someone can help me out.

I am currently working as a QS for the past 7 years. I am a qualified Civil Engineer but work availability and my abilities led me down the QS work route which I am happy doing.

I would like to do work for small construction companies and sub-contractors in the evening and the weekend to get some extra money but my worry is would I need professional indemnity insurance to undertake this work?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hi Everyone,

I do not know if this is the correct forum to be asking this (apologies if it is not) but hopefully someone can help me out.

I am currently working as a QS for the past 7 years. I am a qualified Civil Engineer but work availability and my abilities led me down the QS work route which I am happy doing.

I would like to do work for small construction companies and sub-contractors in the evening and the weekend to get some extra money but my worry is would I need professional indemnity insurance to undertake this work?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Not sure, but my gut would be yes, as a significant error in your pricing could lead to a legal issue, and your costing documents could become part of the contract document package (or at least are what the contract sum is being based on).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Probably depends on your relationship with the builder. If you are a standalone business offering them a service then I think you need to protect yourself. However, if you are an employee of theirs it would be the same issue as any if their other staff making a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MrHeisenberg

Thanks for your input. I was hoping to advertise QS services to small builders and sub-contractors that I could undertake in my own evenings and weekends but if insurance is required I'm not sure if it would be financially beneficial? What would your opinions be on this? What would insurance cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

No idea for a QS but for an engineer you'd be talking lowish four figures - per annum and maintained for at least 6 years after completing last project.

Advertisement