Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I am not a feminist and don't believe in 'equality'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What is published in media has a massive impact, and well you know it...I am not painting men as sole victims, I am reacting in a thread about feminism to the continued normalization of repugnant language that has, clearly, proven to be extremely polarizing.

That same media do not challenge the terms "gender pay gap", or the domestic abuse narrative or any other elements of modern day feminism...you are being sold a pup, you are not the first and won't be the last!

Well then you are replying to a point I didn’t make and your issue isn’t with me, because all I said was that there is no need to excuse bad behavior of either sex by putting a label of feminist/masculist on it.

Don’t be so patronising to assume I’m misguided and haven’t researched my own opinions, I’m not being ‘sold a pup’ whatsoever. I’m confident in my position and you telling me I’m wrong won’t make me change it.

The fact you are even suggesting there is a domestic abuse narrative is very telling but that’s a topic for another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Well then you are replying to a point I didn’t make and your issue isn’t with me, because all I said was that there is no need to excuse bad behavior of either sex by putting a label of feminist/masculist on it.

Don’t be so patronising to assume I’m misguided and haven’t researched my own opinions, I’m not being ‘sold a pup’ whatsoever. I’m confident in my position and you telling me I’m wrong won’t make me change it.

The fact you are even suggesting there is a domestic abuse narrative is very telling but that’s a topic for another thread.

The domestic abuse narrative is very important as it is a central part of modern day feminism...it has led to massive funding for female victims of domestic abuse and all but abandoning male victims, of which there are just as many.

There is very little funding for any male related initiatives in fact.

I do apologize for being patronizing, it is a consequence of my deep disdain for the ability of media to remain balanced...media has made a mug out of me more times than I'd like to recall!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Earlier on in the thread there was a more favourite swing for the femminists, but that has dropped like a balloon that just burst....

I find it intriguing to say the least

kowloon wrote: »
    Have you changed your avatar? I didn't recognise you.

I got a haircut. I know, I look completely different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    Earlier on in the thread there was a more favourite swing for the femminists, but that has dropped like a balloon that just burst....

The shift for the people with nowhere to go and no-one to see on a Friday night has started?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Very encouraging to see some young women still have sense.

Spot on post OP
    Love the pretence that it's coherent and not all over the place or contradictory. Because it suits. :D

Try reading posts by the same poster in the thread about the protestor accosted today. Won't suit you as much. :)

I think when you have someone full on and all sweetness and polite from the start, it's time to run to the hills lol

That and the line I am a strong independent women. I experienced it, laughed at it being naive, turned out to be a manipulating narcissistic women. Learnt the hard way and yes she also started out as you described

The shift for the people with nowhere to go and no-one to see on a Friday night has started?

Actually...it began about the time people would be home from work...

Well Friday night is a quiet night for some,and I'm all for a quiet night in, a cup of Horlicks and a few custard creams...

It's a nice evening though, I can still see the outline of the Burren from my window, and it's magnificent....

Beats hanging out in a bar with bowlers gannets and yawwws blocking the bar....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I think when you have someone full on and all sweetness and polite from the start, it's time to run to the hills lol
    Why does that feel so apt on this thread?

• Advertisement

Actually...it began about the time people would be home from work...

Electronic bitch thinks board's in the evening time is only for people who have no one to see or people to meet...

Just show's how undermining her post was...

I suppose she's ENTITLED to her opinion, you go gurl.....

Feminism started out with a purpose but the recent third wave is to the detriment of everyone and especially women who succeeded in life and women who got to positions with out the need for quotas such as Thatcher, Merkel, Mary Robinson, even Mary Harney

It amazes me the complaints about female representation in government, last I checked women get an equal vote and its roughly 50 50 population spread

That and the line I am a strong independent women. I experienced it, laughed at it being naive, turned out to be a manipulating narcissistic women. Learnt the hard way and yes she also started out as you described

The strong independent woman thing reminds me of the lad who bragged about being a legend with women...you take them at face value first, then you realize it masks a deeply insecure individual.

Why does that feel so apt on this thread?

I think you're onto something alright :D

Feminism started out with a purpose but the recent third wave is to the detriment of everyone and especially women who succeeded in life and women who got to positions with out the need for quotas such as Thatcher, Merkel, Mary Robinson, even Mary Harney

It amazes me the complaints about female representation in government, last I checked women get an equal vote and its roughly 50 50 population spread

The irony of third wave femmimisn is it undermines women.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I dunno about that at all. Sure if you go full geek working out the rate of expansion in the early universe level then sure, but in day to day practical and above mathematics ability? It's been my experience anyway that women are just as good, if anything more generally capable in that area(actually I find them generally more practically capable in life than men on average).

Accountancy doesn't require advanced mathematical skill. Engineering, science and computer programing does. Funnily enough fields like pharmacy, biological sciences and medical sciences often do too and these are traditionally predominantly female fields.

I did a 2 subject BSc degree (2 of maths physics and chemistry were the choices) in college. A little less than half my course were women. There was no ability difference as far as I could see. This was back in the late 80s and it never entered my mind.

I suppose she's ENTITLED to her opinion, you go gurl.....

The only person to bring up that word on this thread has been you. Does that mean that you’re a feminist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I could go loads of places, I choose to be anti-social.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Labels. I don't like labels. All they ever do is cause more harm than any good they could potentially bring.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Labels. I don't like labels. All they ever do is cause more harm than any good they could potentially bring.

Amen to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

We categorise things, we spot patterns that are similar, it's how we work. It's how we got where we are as a species but it's also a major hinderance. It's hard to abandon the pigeonholing exercise when it's not useful.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The only person to bring up that word on this thread has been you. Does that mean that you’re a feminist?

Well we're all femminists I'm told, it's universal isn't it :D

Give me a Volvo XC90 over a fiat Punto anytime...

Labels are sometimes effective and safer...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Men and women are different. That seems to be a controversial opinion these days.

The two sexes are designed by nature to compliant one other.

The nurturing mother and the strong protective father.

It's a beautiful thing , we can't survive without eachother.

Femininity and Masculinity need to be respected.

Not everything is a social construct in our world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The domestic abuse narrative is very important as it is a central part of modern day feminism...it has led to massive funding for female victims of domestic abuse and all but abandoning male victims, of which there are just as many.

There is very little funding for any male related initiatives in fact.

I do apologize for being patronizing, it is a consequence of my deep disdain for the ability of media to remain balanced...media has made a mug out of me more times than I'd like to recall!

I would like to see a citation for the comment that men suffer as much domestic violence as women do. The ultimate score, male killing women versus women killing men does not bear that out.

I do not deny men suffer domestic abuse but you have asserted that they do to the same extent as women do so I would like to see a citation from you on that. For my side in England and Wales, approx 2 times as many women are victims as men. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/domesticabuseinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2018

For Scotland, in 79% of cases where the sex was recorded, the victim was female https://www.gov.scot/publications/domestic-abuse-recorded-police-scotland-2016-17/pages/2/

I cannot find the figures for men in Ireland on the CSO website.

Calina wrote: »
    I would like to see a citation for the comment that men suffer as much domestic violence as women do. The ultimate score, male killing women versus women killing men does not bear that out.

I do not deny men suffer domestic abuse but you have asserted that they do to the same extent as women do so I would like to see a citation from you on that. For my side in England and Wales, approx 2 times as many women are victims as men. https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/domesticabuseinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2018

For Scotland, in 79% of cases where the sex was recorded, the victim was female https://www.gov.scot/publications/domestic-abuse-recorded-police-scotland-2016-17/pages/2/

I cannot find the figures for men in Ireland on the CSO website.

"The ultimate score"...good jesus!!!

Of course men can do more physical damage to women, on account of the huge physical differences...but we have no idea what the impact of female domestic abuse has on men, because in truth, nobody is funding it, does it feed into the much higher suicide rates for men...I think so.

A Harvard study conducted a few years ago discovered that in the case of non reciprocal domestic violence, women are more likely to be the abuser....women who abuse will use different tools to abuse their partner, lets be honest, the tool of a toxic man is his fists more often than not, the tool of a toxic woman is here ability to manipulate...

https://www.quora.com/How-serious-is-domestic-violence-against-men-compared-to-domestic-violence-against-women

When you consider here in Ireland, we fund services for female victims of domestic abuse to the tune of €17,000,000 per annum, we fund male victims of domestic abuse to the tune of €1,000,000...

We know that men are way more likely not to report abuse, we can also assume that men probably don't even realise that they are being abused!

It is sad that this issue has been gendered, it is way more nuanced than that, it is also very misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Of course men can do more physical damage to women, on account of the huge physical differences...but we have no idea what the impact of female domestic abuse has on men, because in truth, nobody is funding it, does it feed into the much higher suicide rates for men...I think so.

A Harvard study conducted a few years ago discovered that in the case of non reciprocal domestic violence, women are more likely to be the abuser....women who abuse will use different tools to abuse their partner, lets be honest, the tool of a toxic man is his fists more often than not, the tool of a toxic woman is here ability to manipulate...

https://www.quora.com/How-serious-is-domestic-violence-against-men-compared-to-domestic-violence-against-women

When you consider here in Ireland, we fund services for female victims of domestic abuse to the tune of €17,000,000 per annum, we fund male victims of domestic abuse to the tune of €1,000,000...

We know that men are way more likely not to report abuse, we can also assume that men probably don't even realise that they are being abused!

It is sad that this issue has been gendered, it is way more nuanced than that, it is also very misleading.

It really needs more funding and research. I hope it changes and the way it is viewed in society changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

More women wind up dead. You are underplaying the seriousness of that here by suggesting manipulation is worse than violence. I didnt add the sexual violence figures for Ireland as they are not clearly split domestically. But they are severely weighted towards women being the victims.

Ireland has legislation to cater for emotional abuse btw which should see some clearer options for both men and women.

For the American figures, I suspect they do not map especially well to Ireland given major cultural differences particularly around weapons. I suspect UK figures map more closely due to cultural proximity.

It really needs more funding and research. I hope it changes and the way it is viewed in society changes.

You'd imagine in the era of equality it would, but it has to be said, the feminist movement has a long history of burying any suggestion that women are capable of abuse...that is happening today...thanks to the same ideology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You'd imagine in the era of equality it would, but it has to be said, the feminist movement has a long history of burying any suggestion that women are capable of abuse...that is happening today...thanks to the same ideology.

it's a disgusting thing for any organisation or movement to do. I hope it changes.

Advertisement