Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I think if I was feeing a war zone or a dire situation which I was living in fear of my life or being brutally tortured the conditions in a direct provision centre would be the last my worries as I'd be so happy to be alive and safe I would not care.

Well la de da. Arent you the trooper. :rolleyes:

And how many of them are actually sent home. They appeal, appeal and appeal until they are eventually allowed to remain here.

And deportations:
    https://www.irishcentral.com/news/deportations-from-ireland-higher-than-irish-deportations-from-us

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/4000-to-be-deported-from-ireland-highest-number-in-6-years-757174.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/major-fall-in-number-of-people-deported-466782.html

Em it might be something to with the fact that I live in Ireland which is in Europe. I don't know much about America becuase I do not live there and have even been there I don't know enough about the situation there to really pass comment.
    Yes I'm sure that's it exactly. Selective outrage is all I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Yes I'm sure that's it exactly. Selective outrage is all I see.

So it's selective outrage now to think about the issues which are happening in the country and the continent in which you are from and live in. I would regard that that as perfectly normal and rational to think about the issues which effect you before the issues of other countries. And if you want to read about selective outrage:

https://www.conservapedia.com/Selective_outrage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

So it's selective outrage now to think about the issues which are happening in the country and the continent in which you are from and live in. I would regard that that as perfectly normal and rational to think about the issues which effect you before the issues of other countries. And if you want to read about selective outrage:

https://www.conservapedia.com/Selective_outrage

Do you think an Irish person can be black? Do you think non white Irish people "weakens Irish culture"? That's a term you've used.

In terms of you raising issues in this country. I only tend to see posters such as yourself exaggerating incidents for the sake of propaganda. I would say the intolerance of people such as Torino is far greater of an issue than migrants.

batgoat wrote: »
    Do you think an Irish person can be black? Do you think non white Irish people "weakens Irish culture"? That's a term you've used.

Again that would depend on if they are willing to intergrate or not.
    In terms of you raising issues in this country. I only tend to see posters such as yourself exaggerating incidents for the sake of propaganda. I would say the intolerance of people such as Torino is far greater of an issue than migrants.

There are issues perhaps not major issues right now but they are coming down the tracks. There have been serious issues in other European countries with immigration and I do not think we are doing enough to prevent a repeat of those issues here in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Again that would depend on if they are willing to intergrate or not.

There are issues perhaps not major issues right now but they are coming down the tracks. There have been serious issues in other European countries with immigration and I do not think we are doing enough to prevent a repeat of those issues here in Ireland.

I just posted a link to an article that says we're one the toughest countries, if not the toughest on immigration.

Do you actually read any links people send?

Are you so entrenched in your views that no amount of proof whatsoever will change them?

Also I'd like to point out that my parent's home is about a mile from a direct provision center. The residents have caused zero problems since it started operating in the early 2000s. I do totally have a problem with how they're operated and support those who have raised the issue.

They're literally designed to make it difficult to integrate to any normal degree. Want your kids to do have a sleep over? Nope, can't do that. Want to cook your own meals, that's a no. Want to begin to start to establish a life in your new home, can't do that. Your child gets high points in leaving cert? They're not gonna be able to go to college unless somebody is able to finance it for them. So I totally understand why residents complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

PeadarCo wrote: »
    Science is not my forte, nice projection. See a link to support my point that race has no basis in science.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/04/race-genetics-science-africa/
    Its a peculiar article in that it just gathers up a load of strawman arguments and then attempts to demolish them. Finally it concludes... "That race is a human construction doesn’t mean that we don’t fall into different groups or there’s no variation,” Foeman says. “But if we made racial categories up, maybe we can make new categories that function better.
    Well, that's just another way of saying there are lots of different races, but you can't pigeonhole mixed race people into particular racial categories. Which is fine, I agree with that.
    PeadarCo wrote: »
    In terms of North Ireland there is so little difference(at a high level anyway) between nationalists and unionists that most people in England can't tell the difference between them as we have seen aptly demonstrated in the Brexit debate. Even in recent years the number of people identifying as either tribe in NI has declined. Which just further adds to my point that race is a social construct.
    I can't believe you would invent such a ridiculous strawman.

Nobody ever says the NI situation is due to race. The NI unionists derive mostly from Scottish ancestry, and it is well known that the Irish and Scottish are closely related, even more so than Irish and English. Racially the two sides up there are identical.

The situation in NI is due to an incompatibility of religion and culture, which we call "sectarianism".
    Its proof that multiculturalism does not work, even after hundreds of years.

We are going to have huge problems in future due to the current wave of Islamic and African plantation going on all around the country, in almost every town and village. The second plantation of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I just posted a link to an article that says we're one the toughest countries, if not the toughest on immigration.

Do you actually read any links people send?

Are you so entrenched in your views that no amount of proof whatsoever will change them?

Don't you know? If it's not on *snigger* conservapedia, it's not worth reading.

What do you think of people who fight for ethnostates such as Richard Spencer? Interested to hear Recedite and Stephen's position...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

How in the hell is being anti mass undocumented immigration racist?

You lot just look like a pack of bullies at this stage with the constant ganging up on Stephen.

Thats a bit silly. We don dont have mass undocumented immigration.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I don't see any racism, bigotry or homophobia coming from Justin Barrett unless your definition of racism is different to the dictionary's. As for homophobia I haven't seen any but he has said he is against Islam which is a very homophobic ideology.

I still find this comment incredulous.

I still find this comment incredulous.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The little lad claiming his party "is only for straight Irish people". Slagging off Leo Vs "gayness".

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Seems like a dodgy link I'm not reading it in case I get a virus anyway seems like you playing whataboutery what has that article got to do with anything being discussed at the moment

What a pathetic dodge :pac:

Let's walk through this logic: I, a moderator, would blithely post links to malware?

MediaITE is a media aggregator blog run by Dan Abrams. It's a Gizmodo of mainstream news. Calm your tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Overheal wrote: »

Let's walk through this logic: I, a moderator, would blithely post links to malware?

MediaITE is a media aggregator blog run by Dan Abrams. It's a Gizmodo of mainstream news. Calm your tits.

It also contains fact though, so for him it's something to be avoided.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Also I'd like to point out that my parent's home is about a mile from a direct provision center. The residents have caused zero problems since it started operating in the early 2000s. I do totally have a problem with how they're operated and support those who have raised the issue.

They're literally designed to make it difficult to integrate to any normal degree. Want your kids to do have a sleep over? Nope, can't do that. Want to cook your own meals, that's a no. Want to begin to start to establish a life in your new home, can't do that. Your child gets high points in leaving cert? They're not gonna be able to go to college unless somebody is able to finance it for them. So I totally understand why residents complain.

Have you considered taking them into your parents house. Now that you have left the nest there would be ample space and your parents will enjoy the company.

Win win for everyone

Overheal wrote: »

Never heard of it. Is it like Breitbart for leftys?

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Have you considered taking them into your parents house. Now that you have left the nest there would be ample space and your parents will enjoy the company.

Win win for everyone

Stopping acting like a fool this isn't Hobson's choice.

Never heard of it. Is it like Breitbart for leftys?

Google it.
    Nobody is required to answer questions . Don't be silly

• Advertisement

Stopping acting like a fool this isn't Hobson's choice.

I doubt he even asked.
    Would you be up for it? Let's make a move away from direct provision. Refugees, asylum seekers and economic migrants can live with willing Irish families.
    Much better for them.

I doubt he even asked.
    Would you be up for it? Let's make a move away from direct provision. Refugees, asylum seekers and economic migrants can live with willing Irish families.
    Much better for them.

Sure. You first.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sure. You first.

Me first what?

Me first what?

Your idea, your offer.
    Refugees, asylum seekers and economic migrants can live with willing Irish families.

Fair point about the lack of integration in DP centres, but lets not forget that the concept was only ever meant to be a short term thing while illegal immigrants were having their cases for asylum examined. Which it is suitable for.

It is a political failure that the DP system was allowed to become overwhelmed, and that when cases for asylum are denied, illegal immigrants stay on ad infinitum, going from one appeal to another.
    A system that is only suitable for short term stays has been shoehorned into a long stay industry which is earning huge money for lawyers and certain well connected property investors.

And BTW, even if an asylum seeker student gets low points in the Leaving Cert, they're gonna be able to go to college because there is plenty of funding allocated to them, and scarce places are given out on "scholarships" at the expense of Irish students with higher points, who then miss out.

recedite wrote: »
    Fair point about the lack of integration in DP centres, but lets not forget that the concept was only ever meant to be a short term thing while illegal immigrants were having their cases for asylum examined. Which it is suitable for.

It is a political failure that the DP system was allowed to become overwhelmed, and that when cases for asylum are denied, illegal immigrants stay on ad infinitum, going from one appeal to another.
    A system that is only suitable for short term stays has been shoehorned into a long stay industry which is earning huge money for lawyers and certain well connected property investors.

And BTW, even if an asylum seeker student gets low points in the Leaving Cert, they're gonna be able to go to college because there is plenty of funding allocated to them, and scarce places are given out on "scholarships" at the expense of Irish students with higher points, who then miss out.

How many Irish students missed out? Or is that more racist scaremongering?

Terry Pratchet

Whatever number had higher points than the asylum seekers who got the scholarships.

Me first what?

Well you know you seem to think Irish people offering their homes to refugees/asylum seekers is a great idea.

Terry Pratchet

What race are we talking about here Joey are asylum seekers an ethnicity now?

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    Whatever number had higher points than the asylum seekers who got the scholarships.

Do go on. Please provide some real evidence rather than mere racist scaremongering.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement