Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,779 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Isn't CAO data pretty useful here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Well you know you seem to think Irish people offering their homes to refugees/asylum seekers is a great idea.

Willing people. I'm not one of them. Are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If you want the exact number, you'll have to ask one of the lefty professors in one of the colleges who organise this virtue signalling crap.

Blueshoe wrote: »

Why then do you have the right to lecture solutions to other people you will not do yourself? Far cry from leadership by example.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Oh right ok. So you don't think it's a great idea at all then.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    If you want the exact number, you'll have to ask one of the lefty professors in one of the colleges who organise this virtue signalling crap.

Right yeah. Racist scaremongering as I indicated earlier.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Which is a roundabout raspberrying way of saying No, there is no data to even remotely support your accusation:
    And BTW, even if an asylum seeker student gets low points in the Leaving Cert, they're gonna be able to go to college because there is plenty of funding allocated to them, and scarce places are given out on "scholarships" at the expense of Irish students with higher points, who then miss out.

And you dare lecture ANYONE else on this forum about Defamation, Slander, or Libel? :eek: Here you are admitting point blank that you are typing out complete falsehoods with no substantiated or even alleged facts behind you, to take broad swipes at "lefty professors" who are "organizing" this fickle little conspiracy theory you've concocted - and yet you are presenting it as a matter of fact.

Oh right ok. So you don't think it's a great idea at all then.

Do you not understand what "willing people" means?

Overheal wrote: »
    Which is a roundabout raspberrying way of saying No, there is no data to even remotely support your accusation:
    And you dare lecture ANYONE else on this forum about Defamation, Slander, or Libel? :eek:
    Of course there is data. I'm not privy to it though, and I'm not even going to go searching for it because even if it was publicly available, it is likely to be hidden away, or disguised, or made inaccessible in some way.
    Do you not understand that allocating college places is a zero sum game? That is the whole purpose and function of the CAO - to decide who gets a place and who does not.

Scholarships which artificially lower the points requirement for certain "preferred people" subvert this (otherwise merit-based) process.

Of course there is data. I'm not privy to it though, and I'm not even going to go searching for it because even if it was publicly available, it is likely to be hidden away, or disguised, or made inaccessible in some way.
    Do you not understand that allocating college places is a zero sum game? That is the whole purpose and function of the CAO - to decide who gets a place and who does not.

Scholarships which artificially lower the points requirement for certain "preferred people" subvert this (otherwise merit-based) process.

So you have no proof whatsoever of your claims and you refuse to provide it.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

It's a bit like gender quotas. Not earned.
    A step backwards in evolution.

The strongest or brightest should be at the top as they have earned it. Otherwise it doesn't work.

It's insulting to women too. You got the job because you were born female. Well done

It's a bit like gender quotas. Not earned.
    A step backwards in evolution.
    Exactly.

Maybe we should reverse the whole sufragette movement and bring in the handmaids tale to please some posters around here.

Terry Pratchet

Which is a meandering manner of saying you pulled it entirely out of your hat.

Which scholarship/points-tweaking activities are you referring to exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Maybe we should reverse the whole sufragette movement and bring in the handmaids tale to please some posters around here.

What is it with people on the left and handmaids tale crap, its a fictional show and at no point has Ireland been anything like that and nobody, not even the far right is looking for ireland to become anything remotely like that.

The only group vaugely calling for opression of women in modern Ireland is the islamic community.

Maybe both genders should be treated as equal and jobs awarded on merit.

The best person for the job and all that.

Applies in all of life's situations.

Why are so many racists also sexist?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yes, down with that sort of thing. To hell with facts! We need stories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I just posted a link to an article that says we're one the toughest countries, if not the toughest on immigration.

Do you actually read any links people send?

Are you so entrenched in your views that no amount of proof whatsoever will change them?

The link you sent seems to be contradicted by this more recent article so which one is the truth

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ireland-has-lowest-refusal-rate-of-asylum-applicants-920320.html

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The link you sent seems to be contradicted by this more recent article so which one is the truth

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ireland-has-lowest-refusal-rate-of-asylum-applicants-920320.html

Hmmm, quote:
    "The number of asylum seekers granted protection in Ireland last year represented 265 per million population — less than half the EU average of 650 per million."

Please read your own stories before hanging your entire argument on them.

• Advertisement

Why are so many racists also sexist?

Who are you calling Racist?

By saying both genders should be treated equal?

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Hmmm, quote:
    "The number of asylum seekers granted protection in Ireland last year represented 265 per million population — less than half the EU average of 650 per million."

That is quite the spectacular own goal there, Stephen.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Hmmm, quote:

Still should be lower

What is it with people on the left and handmaids tale crap, its a fictional show and at no point has Ireland been anything like that and nobody, not even the far right is looking for ireland to become anything remotely like that.

The only group vaugely calling for opression of women in modern Ireland is the islamic community.

So that's why the repeal of the 8th passed by a 90:1 margin and no challenges?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The last Magdaline laundry closed in the 1990s. Homosexual sex was illegal into the 90s. Those of us who lived through the 70s and 80s remember well when Ireland was controlled by priests, brothers and other authoritarians.

And some of us are going to make sure that we're not going back there.

Overheal wrote: »
    So that's why the repeal of the 8th passed by a 90:1 margin and no challenges?

That's kind of his point

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Still should be lower
    Magnanimous in defeat too.

That's kind of his point

How so?

The last Magdaline laundry closed in the 1990s. Homosexual sex was illegal into the 90s. Those of us who lived through the 70s and 80s remember well when Ireland was controlled by priests, brothers and other authoritarians.

How will you do this?
    By dilution of Catholics with Islam?
    Is that the grand plan

• Advertisement

Do you support Islamic immigration?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement