Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Well I don't agree with everything he says. However I agree with a lot of what he says everyone has viewpoints that I do not agree with and others I do agree with. I have listened to a lot of his speeches and I agree with a lot of his points certainly when I heard his interviews with Gemma he came out the saner of the two.

I don't agree that Hazel Chu should be deported perhaps he agrees she should be but that would be one of his views I don't agree with if it actually is one of his views.

There's no perhaps or maybe about it Stephen, he says it! You've watched the video now so you can't deny it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Question for Recedite, Blue shoe, Kim and Stephen.
    Do you think an immigrant of a different culture can bring any cultural or societal value to the country they're emigrating to?
    Some tasty ethnic food, certainly.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Had you ever stopped for a neuron-tick to consider maybe Islam isn't the real problem in those countries?
    I'm guessing the answer is "Climate change brought about by rich westerners who need to pay for their sins"

Did I win?
    Not holding out for a prize this time. I've been cheated before.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Nice data here from the CSO on migration:
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2016/

Highlights from 2016 (latest official figures from CSO):
    Immigration in 2016 was 79,300
    38.2% of immigrants have a third level qualification
    21.1% of immigrants were Irish
    40.1% of our immigrants are non EU nationals
    Are those legal immigrants, or asylum seekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

recedite wrote: »

The cso state :
    The migration estimates are compiled against the backdrop of movements in other migration indicators. These include: • the Register of Electors • the Child Benefit Scheme • the number of visas granted • the number of work permits issued/renewed • the number of asylum applications • the number of PPS numbers allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Cookie is only interested in his/her own needs.
    We are far short of the working population needed for when I retire.

To hell with everyone else.

• Advertisement

I have a family friend from Nicaragua. Was a qualifed gp over there, and a medic during the war.

He became a refugee in Ireland as his family were in severe danger over there.

Took him years to get his papers.

And then the medical Council wouldn't recognize his credentials.

Once he could work, he was only able to get kitchen Porter work.

He did that while looking for other work

He's currently a receptionist at a medical practice. A complete waste of a person's qualifications.

So yes, I do believe things should be different.
    Why would they not recognise his credentials, was he unable to pass the minimum standard of exam here?
    It just seems odd when they passed a guy who didn't know his arse from his elbow, but they blocked your friend who is such an excellent doctor.

Why would they not recognise his credentials, was he unable to pass the minimum standard of exam here?
    It just seems odd when they passed a guy who didn't know his arse from his elbow, but they blocked your friend who is such an excellent doctor.

Often it's to do with mapping over qualifications and determining if the standards are the same. If not he'd have to retrain. That's not the migrants fault. That is very tough. If it were possible to do some accelerated training to ensure skills learnt in other countries were brought uo to local standards would that not be a good thing investing in our future? Would that not benefit all? Currently we pay to train doctors here who then leave (for valid reasons).

The cso state :
    The migration estimates are compiled against the backdrop of movements in other migration indicators. These include: • the Register of Electors • the Child Benefit Scheme • the number of visas granted • the number of work permits issued/renewed • the number of asylum applications • the number of PPS numbers allocated.
    With such weasely words being used to describe these "estimates" of migration I'm surprised they can so confidently and precisely categorise the educational achievements of the "estimated" persons.

With such weasely words being used to describe these "estimates" of migration I'm surprised they can so confidently and precisely categorise the educational achievements of the "estimated" persons.

There really is no pleasing you is there? Now you're picking a fight with the CSO!?!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

That's pretty standard. Even something like a dental degree from here would require a level of retraining in another country.

• Advertisement

Often it's to do with mapping over qualifications and determining if the standards are the same. If not he'd have to retrain. That's not the migrants fault. That is very tough. If it were possible to do some accelerated training to ensure skills learnt in other countries were brought uo to local standards would that not be a good thing investing in our future? Would that not benefit all? Currently we pay to train doctors here who then leave (for valid reasons).

He didn't know an ankle from an elbow...

Ah I see. He was overqualified. Just too good.

They probably didn't want him showing up the other doctors.

batgoat wrote: »
    That's pretty standard. Even something like a dental degree from here would require a level of retraining in another country.

I had to get my qualification mapped when I went to new Zealand.

batgoat wrote: »

Again he didn't know an ankle from an elbow. That's pretty fecking far from being standard.

He didn't know an ankle from an elbow...
    Apologies, my mistake, I thought it was an arse :D

Now you see why I'm not a doctor.

I had to get my qualification mapped when I went to new Zealand.

Did they have to tell you the difference from an ankle and an elbow?

Ah I see. He was overqualified. Just too good.

They probably didn't want him showing up the other doctors.
    Again he didn't know an ankle from an elbow. That's pretty fecking far from being standard.

I swear sometimes I'm afraid to reply in case I'm speaking to children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

You are pulling this claim out of your arse. You're making a pretty uninformed claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Did they have to tell you the difference from an ankle and an elbow?

you seem to think cookie was referring to the guy in the article that recedite linked to. He wasnt. We have no idea where that guy from sudan trained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

In order:

Australian points system is a model I dont have a problem with. As long as it looks at more than just qualifications and looks (see my post) at our other needs.

Right to appeal is an absolute. You can cap it but there needs to be one. You have a right if you are charged with a crime. Ever heard of a failure in the justice system???

I'd like a link on that please. I dont believe you're correct. I'm happy for Ireland not to be in the same camp as some of those countries.

Yes well you didn't answer my point there.

Can you provide me with a link showing rates of terrorism carried out with a Burka please?

See my post re needs. Qualifications aren't everything.

Sorry I don't mean to be rude but I just wanted to point out that you have forgotten about one of my questions in relation to third world migration. I asked would you feel more comfortable moving to Australia or Bangladesh? Apologies about that it's people have said I have forgotten to answer certain questions aswell but I would to hear this posters abswer to that question.

• Advertisement

I swear sometimes I'm afraid to reply in case I'm speaking to children.

Ahhh now with the insults, how predictable. :rolleyes:

Sorry I don't mean to be rude but I just wanted to point out that you have forgotten about one of my questions in relation to third world migration. I asked would you feel more comfortable moving to Australia or Bangladesh? Apologies about that it's people have said I have forgotten to answer certain questions aswell but I would to hear this posters abswer to that question.

perhaps answer some of the many questions you have ignored and then others might return the favour.

you seem to think cookie was referring to the guy in the article that recedite linked to. He wasnt. We have no idea where that guy from sudan trained.
    Sudan?
    Wild guess.

Ahhh now with the insults, how predictable. :rolleyes:

you were making smart remarks about ankles and elbows that were totally irrelevant to the person cookie was talking about. you seem to have lost track of the thread very quickly.

What would it tell you about me if I answer?

Cookie was comparing his retraining to the guy who didn't know the difference between an elbow and an ankle as common. I disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

perhaps answer some of the many questions you have ignored and then others might return the favour.

No I was just politely reminding the poster that s/he may have forgotten to reply to my post. I don't have any issue if s/he does not wish to respond to my post. I'm just curious to hear what their answer to my post is. No hard feelings either way.

Cookie was comparing his retraining to the guy who didn't know the difference between an elbow and an ankle as common. I disagree.

Eh no.

no he was comparing to somebody he knows from nicaragua. try to keep up

• Advertisement

No I was just politely reminding the poster that s/he may have forgotten to reply to my post. I don't have any issue if s/he does not wish to respond to my post. I'm just curious to hear what their answer to my post is. No hard feelings either way.

the same way you seem to have completely forgotten many questions asked of you. It is pretty obvious when somebody is arguing in bad faith,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement