Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭Odhinn

pjohnson wrote: »
    Needs an indepth analysis of his complete genealogy obviously. Maybe a DNA test aswell.

Poking with a stick as well. Very important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

pjohnson wrote: »
    Needs an indepth analysis of his complete genealogy obviously. Maybe a DNA test aswell.

Ah get out of here with your big english name.

Just kidding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,624 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Ah get out of here with your big english name.

Just kidding :)

Any luck with Dublin Bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,806 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why would that be the end of the conversation? What type of conversations do you have lol

Stop beating around the bush or at least put some thought into the questions you are firing at me.

I’m not beating around any bush sir.

You said you’d ask a black coworker where they are from. I asked if the black coworker responded to you by stating they were of the same nationality as you, from the same country of origin, if that would be the end of that conversation (ie. “Where are you from?”) you answered no it wouldn’t be. So I asked you what additional questions would you have for the black coworker. You’ve responded by huffing, ‘why would that be the end of the conversation?’ Yet you haven’t actually specified how that conversation would continue.

I’ll ask again: what is your follow up for a black coworker that responds he is from your same country of origin when you asked him where you are from?

Overheal wrote: »
    I’m not beating around any bush sir.

You said you’d ask a black coworker where they are from. I asked if the black coworker responded to you by stating they were of the same nationality as you, from the same country of origin, if that would be the end of that conversation (ie. “Where are you from?”) you answered no it wouldn’t be. So I asked you what additional questions would you have for the black coworker. You’ve responded by huffing, ‘why would that be the end of the conversation?’ Yet you haven’t actually specified how that conversation would continue.

I’ll ask again: what is your follow up for a black coworker that responds he is from your same country of origin when you asked him where you are from?

The exact same as it would be to anybody else. What part of....... are you from?

What are you trying to achieve here with this line of questioning?

I have co workers from everywhere, munich, london, liverpool, bucharest.... i know where they are from because once upon a time i asked them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

So, you (Yokes) acquire a new (black) workmate.

You: "Hi. Where are you from?"

Him: "Clondalkin. Why?"

You: .........?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So you were born here and your family came here 100s of years ago... You are Irish or British then. What part of Ireland are you from?

How can I be British ya gobsh1te

How cant you?

The exact same as it would be to anybody else. What part of....... are you from?

What are you trying to achieve here with this line of questioning?

I have co workers from everywhere, munich, london, liverpool, bucharest.... i know where they are from because once upon a time i asked them...

The coworker says he’s from X village over in Y county. Anything further?

davedanon wrote: »
    So, you (Yokes) acquire a new (black) workmate.

You: "Hi. Where are you from?"

Him: "Clondalkin. Why?"

You: .........?

No one asks why.... you really need to converse more with people in real life. Not on the internet. Lack of social skills is evident in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

How cant you?

Because I was born in Ireland

Because I was born in Ireland

Yes but you didnt state where and i asked if you were born on this island, not in Ireland. You were fairly vague.

Anyone who thinks of themselves as a well-meaning, non-racist white person (maybe you say things like "I don't see colour" or "I treat everyone the same") should read several editions of the Irish Times series "New to the Parish", to find out just how tired people of colour are of the "where are you from, no but, where are you really from?" question.

A tip. You're only entitled to bring it up, in a friendly casual way, once you've actually made friends. Maybe personal lives and stuff comes up in conversation, or whatever. Don't blurt the question out 3 minutes after you've met. Even if you're genuinely curious and being friendly, it's stepping over the line. Like asking someone you've just met who's non-hetero about their sexuality, or a disabled, wheelchair-bound person how they handle getting on the bus, or whatever.

I hasten to add, I have been that person.

No one asks why.... you really need to converse more with people in real life. Not on the internet. Lack of social skills is evident in this thread.

What's with the low-level ad-hom abuse, pal? No-one's ever felt the need to accuse me of lacking social skills on here before. Are you feeling threatened or something?

What's with the low-level ad-hom abuse, pal? No-one's ever felt the need to accuse me of lacking social skills on here before. Are you feeling threatened or something?

Threatened yeah thats it. Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: quit it with the dickish personal comments.

Anyone who thinks of themselves as a well-meaning, non-racist white person (maybe you say things like "I don't see colour" or "I treat everyone the same") should read several editions of the Irish Times series "New to the Parish", to find out just how tired people of colour are of the "where are you from, no but, where are you really from?" question.

A tip. You're only entitled to bring it up, in a friendly casual way, once you've actually made friends. Maybe personal lives and stuff comes up in conversation, or whatever. Don't blurt the question out 3 minutes after you've met. Even if you're genuinely curious and being friendly, it's stepping over the line. Like asking someone you've just met who's non-hetero about their sexuality, or a disabled, wheelchair-bound person how they handle getting on the bus, or whatever.

The biggest pile of shìte post ive ever read. Congratulations.

The coworker says he’s from X village over in Y county. Anything further?

You are being silly now. Looking for something thats not there maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

the guy doesnt look old enough to be the mothers partner, is definitely not the father of the daughter, doesn't resemble most mixed race people so its unlikely the woman is his mother, theres no father in the picture at all which might of explained kid from previous relationship etc...

maybe the father is at work, she's a stay at home mum, more traditional than most households these days

• Registered Users Posts: 25,548 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I see the self destruct button has been mashed, I look forward to the whinging about how another "right" leaning poster has been "unfairly" banned :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

More abuse, no engagement with the actual text.

More abuse, no engagement with the actual text.

Id never abuse you... just your post. I believe i played by the rules.

You are being silly now. Looking for something thats not there maybe?

I’m not sure what you mean. Are you saying that would be the end of the conversation, then, or did you have more questions for the lad?

I’m not sure what you mean. Are you saying that would be the end of the conversation, then, or did you have more questions for the lad?

If i know the place or i had been there i might comment maybe, general conversation, normal stuff or so i thought. Apparently these days its rude. Might offend someone and ill be in the Irish Times "New to the parish"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

This is just generally Irish people being friendly and curious. It is laughable to suggest that it is somehow racist. Irish people will ask that of anyone who appears to have heritage outside Ireland, whether that person may be African, Eastern European or Asian.

Yes, it will be a pain to get that question over and over again. That’s life.

jackboy wrote: »
    This is just generally Irish people being friendly and curious. It is laughable to suggest that it is somehow racist. Irish people will ask that of anyone who appears to have heritage outside Ireland, whether that person may be African, Eastern European or Asian.

Yes, it will be a pain to get that question over and over again. That’s life.

You're missing the point. I never said it was racist, although it does constitute a sort of benign racial profiling. We 'Irish' just have to get over the notion that having black people who are born here, or have Irish names, is some sort of sensational topic that simply must be addressed ASAP. It's a fact. People of colour might be polite about it, but they roll their fecking eyes when they hear that question trotted out yet again. Ok, some oul' wan who grew up when it was acceptable to have a dog named n****r is probably never going to be that PC, but is it too much to ask that people of a more recent vintage might smell the coffee and up their game a bit?

"Irish people will ask that of anyone who appears to have heritage outside Ireland, whether that person may be African, Eastern European or Asian.
    Yes, it will be a pain to get that question over and over again. Thats life"

Yes. That's just making my point for me.

"That's life". And that sounds a bit like "tough **** pal, we didn't ask you to come over here"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

To be fair, asking people where they are from is akin to talking about the weather. I ****ing despise making small talk about the weather, but I still do it.

Asking people where they are from usually leads to, "Oh, d'ya know Paddy, lives in the house, drives a car, I think it's white. Yeah, he's a bit of a head melter."

Nowt racist about asking someone where they are from.

To be fair, asking people where they are from is akin to talking about the weather. I ****ing despise making small talk about the weather, but I still do it.

Asking people where they are from usually leads to, "Oh, d'ya know Paddy, lives in the house, drives a car, I think it's white. Yeah, he's a bit of a head melter."

Nowt racist about asking someone where they are from.

Exactly. Especially at work if you are working in close quarters with a colleague for a period of time or get chatting to someone in pub or nightclub. You will talk about anything. As you said small talk.

But racism..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

"That's life". And that sounds a bit like "tough **** pal, we didn't ask you to come over here"

It sounds nothing like that. You are really looking hard for a hint of racism. There are racist people in Ireland but generally Ireland is less racist than most countries.

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »
    It sounds nothing like that. You are really looking hard for a hint of racism. There are racist people in Ireland but generally Ireland is less racist than most countries.

Have a look at some of the questions i was asked. The lads are sweating to point out racism. Pathetic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement