Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

jackboy wrote: »
    It sounds nothing like that. You are really looking hard for a hint of racism. There are racist people in Ireland but generally Ireland is less racist than most countries.

Yes, thankfully, although spend time on here (boards in general) and you'd wonder.

The point stands. People living here who aren't white Irish roll their eyes every time some native says yes-but-where-are-you-really-from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

One of the main issues black people face in Ireland is being asked where they are really from...

Imagine that even being an issue. If thats the height of what black people are giving out about then i think we are doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

davedanon wrote: »
    Yes, thankfully, although spend time on here (boards in general) and you'd wonder.

The point stands. People living here who aren't white Irish roll their eyes every time some native says yes-but-where-are-you-really-from.

I get that to, and I'm white Irish. I don't have a typical Cavan accent, I'm not from the parish, but living here almost 15 years.

Don't get me wrong, there's some ****wits about, and it gets old real fast, but 99 times out of 100, it's harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

WB Yokes wrote: »
    One of the main issues black people face in Ireland is being asked where they are really from...

Imagine that even being an issue.

Yes, Stephen. Because while "where are you from" might be (misguided) friendly chat on the part of the person asking, "where are you really from" carries the implication "nah, you're claiming to be Irish, but you're not really Irish. 'Cos Irish people are white."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fibromyalgia

Gemma had huge potential to be an Irish Richard D Hall but she has blown it and made herself completely toxic the past year by being obsessed with race/immigration/Islam

• Advertisement

Yes, Stephen. Because while "where are you from" might be (misguided) friendly chat on the part of the person asking, "where are you really from" carries the implication "nah, you're claiming to be Irish, but you're not really Irish. 'Cos Irish people are white."

How often is that even being said to people though, we dont know. Id say very rarely. As i said if thats one of the main things black people complain about in Ireland then we are doing something right.

Look at other countries, there are racist attacks on people regularly. Its extremly rare here. And dont call me Stephen ive no idea who he is.

How often is that even being said to people though, we dont know. Id say very rarely. As i said if thats one of the main things black people complain about in Ireland then we are doing something right.

Look at other countries, there are racist attacks on people regularly. Its extremly rare here. And dont call me Stephen ive no idea who he is.

I've done no research but what I reckon is what I want to believe is true. I've done no research. Racist attacks are extremely rare here I've done no research but that's what I think and I should know I was born here I've done no research.

I've done no research but what I reckon is what I want to believe is true. I've done no research. Racist attacks are extremely rare here I've done no research but that's what I think and I should know I was born here I've done no research.

Go ahead dave the floor is yours....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Ralph Ciffereto

It can't be too many misteps before she's banned from Facebook and Twitter. She surely will reach a point where there'll be an incident leading to her sectioning after that. At the height of the protests in her videos she looked like she hadn't washed in days in some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Interesting to see the blatant squealing of the Milo and other facists about being deplatformed.

It is clearly all about the money.

https://twitter.com/gwensnyderPHL/status/1170818436202737667

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,806 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Interesting to see the blatant squealing of the Milo and other facists about being deplatformed.

It is clearly all about the money.

https://twitter.com/gwensnyderPHL/status/1170818436202737667

He’s living in Lebanon? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Who is Stephen and why are you asking?

Quack Quack ;)

Stephen is a dear old friend who likes to bundle Citizenship, Ethnicity and Nationality into the same basket as though the rich tapestry of modern multicultural human existence had 4 colors (Black, White, Yellow and Brown) and a tolerant culture only had to look at which color you were to determine who you are and where you are from.

Unfortunately, Stephen is about 85 years too late to the concept of human migration.

Anyone from anywhere can be naturalized to be a citizen of any country after fulfilling the requirements of the adopting nation (for the most part)

After 4-5 generations of Post-War international travel, displacement and movement, ethnic groups have crossed, mingled, procreated and integrated to the point where ethnicity has no clear polar identifying features.

Nationality is generally considered to be the place where you were granted citizenship at birth, up until the point where you have a dual citizenship, at that point a dual nationality may arise depending on your age, integration, family ties etc.

Our friend Stephen like to muddy the waters surrounding these realities above because he has an irrational fear of people that don't fit into his clearly defined delusional boxes.

People are People, the world over. We've been learning about it and talking about it since Shakespeare in English-Speaking culture, longer still in Middle Eastern and Asian Cultures. Our current world and future depends on moving past xenophobia to reduce the prevalence of ethnicity based discrimination, abuse and crime. This worries Stephen as it means someday, the world won't be ruled by a cabal of wealthy old white men. Stephen should be more worried about the ****ty job the wealthy old white men have been doing since the dawn of time, as evidenced by human history since the French revolution in particular.

TL;DR -
    don't be a closet racist or xenophobe. Have the moxy to say what you feel and what you mean instead of obfuscating the world into some sort of alternate reality where people are fundamentally different because of where they were born or the color of their skin.

Quack Quack ;)

Stephen is a dear old friend

Great. Thats all you had to say. I didnt need a load of waffle along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Great. Thats all you had to say. I didnt need a load of waffle along with it.

Mod: WB Yokes - if you don't stop it with the needlessly antagonistic and dickish replies, I'll remove your access to the thread.

I see the self destruct button has been mashed, I look forward to the whinging about how another "right" leaning poster has been "unfairly" banned :rolleyes:

You ok Timber?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,624 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You ok Timber?

I'm worried you havent found C&T yet.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'm worried you havent found C&T yet.

Yous are fond of talking in riddles around this place. What are you shìteing about now?

Imagine that even being an issue. If thats the height of what black people are giving out about then i think we are doing a good job.

Yes, because that's exactly what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: WB Yokes - threadbanned for ignoring my earlier warning.

Everybody else - enough warnings have been handed out about sniping and shïtposting at this stage. No more warnings - threadbans from here on in.

Anyway. What's our Gems been up to lately? anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

she's releasing videos and orders from the caves of Tora Bora

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Anyone who thinks of themselves as a well-meaning, non-racist white person (maybe you say things like "I don't see colour" or "I treat everyone the same") should read several editions of the Irish Times series "New to the Parish", to find out just how tired people of colour are of the "where are you from, no but, where are you really from?" question.

A tip. You're only entitled to bring it up, in a friendly casual way, once you've actually made friends. Maybe personal lives and stuff comes up in conversation, or whatever. Don't blurt the question out 3 minutes after you've met. Even if you're genuinely curious and being friendly, it's stepping over the line. Like asking someone you've just met who's non-hetero about their sexuality, or a disabled, wheelchair-bound person how they handle getting on the bus, or whatever.

I hasten to add, I have been that person.

Have to admit i've been that person too. And still am. Everytime i get a taxi in Cork after a few pints and it's a black taxi driver i always ask where his family is from. Why? Because the answer always leads to a conversation about their football team be it Nigeria, Cameroon etc and how they have fared in World Cups and i always find out more about another country which kind of fascinates me. Always lead to a brilliant conversation. Only 1 taxi driver bristled when i asked the question but he soon realised where i was coming from and we had great banter.

I realise people from another country might get tired of that question but when i'm abroad i'm asked that question all the time. Does it bother me. Does it ****

ollkiller wrote: »
    Have to admit i've been that person too. And still am. Everytime i get a taxi in Cork after a few pints and it's a black taxi driver i always ask where his family is from. Why? Because the answer always leads to a conversation about their football team be it Nigeria, Cameroon etc and how they have fared in World Cups and i always find out more about another country which kind of fascinates me. Always lead to a brilliant conversation. Only 1 taxi driver bristled when i asked the question but he soon realised where i was coming from and we had great banter.

I realise people from another country might get tired of that question but when i'm abroad i'm asked that question all the time. Does it bother me. Does it ****

Yes, fair enough as far as it goes, but you're not a racial minority, are you? That is the essential point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Just bashing people on Twitter. A pointless troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Yes, fair enough as far as it goes, but you're not a racial minority, are you? That is the essential point.

I am ginger. I get the essential point and it's a valid one. I just think in the general scheme of things Its not that important. Of course I could be wrong. Which wouldn't be the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

ollkiller wrote: »
    I am ginger. I get the essential point and it's a valid one. I just think in the general scheme of things Its not that important. Of course I could be wrong. Which wouldn't be the first time.

Have to say, I do it too to make conversation sometimes, but like, it won't be my opening conversation starter and I'd really hope it comes across as friendly chat that the person would be into, and not "You're obviously an immigrant so I'm going to question your bona fides!"

Having spent my summer holiday in a city with lots of taxi trips, the "Where are you from?" question got annoying after just a couple of weeks, so I can only imagine what it'd be like day after day for years...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Anytime I’m in a Uber it’s always a foreign driver and I always ask where they are from as I want to know where they eat when
    They go out with family! If they are from Bangladesh then I want to know what’s the best Bangladesh restaurant, same for Indian, Sri Lanka, Nigerian, etc!

Because of this I have eaten some of the best food and have had some of the most enlightening conversations! Back when I lived in Dublin an Indian driver told me the best food was made at home, a few weeks later I was in his house enjoying a feast at his invitation, surrounded by his family! I stupidly turned up with a bottle of wine as I forgot they do not drink alcohol, they joked about it, took the piss out of me a bit and fed me like a king!

It’s all in how you ask the question!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Odhinn wrote: »
    Yeah, unlike those whatdo you call thems? The Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, Mexican Americans, German-Americans, Norwegian Americans.....

Yep, like that America place. They've resorted to cannibalism so its said.
    This is what I call hyperbolic denial. Invent a ridiculous scenario like cannibalism then point out that it's not happening, as if that means that nothing is happening.

What is happening is stuff like this: A white exodus from California, which those who dare to report on it euphemistically call a "middle class exodus." As California becomes Mexican, Puerto Rican or Honduran, the Irish, German, Italian and Norwegians move to places where they can be among their own kind.
    https://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/great-california-exodus-closer-look-5853.html

So much for the melting pot.
    blanch152 wrote:
    Ethnicity is not nationality.
    Ethnicity is determined by your genes. Nationality is determined by your culture and your identity. Citizenship is determined by law. They are different things.
    You're not telling me anything I don't know there, but I would point out that culture and identity have their foundation in ethnicity.

By the way, I appreciate all replies like this that are something more than mindless sarcasm and ridiculous whataboutery.
    blanch152 wrote:
    The Irish should have learned this well be now. With the GFA, we broke down the barriers between nationality and citizenship and territory.

You portray your conclusion as definitive, but it is a very 1960s view of the world. Times have changed.
    60 years have not changed human nature, nor will 70,000 years of separation and human evolution be undone by top-down political enforcement.

You refer to the troubles in the north. Look at the separation, strife and conflict caused there by rival, similarly sized populations of ethnic English Protestants and ethnic Irish Catholics, people so similar that an outsider would have trouble discerning any difference. The peace agreement is a political arrangement. The two populations are still largely separate and show no sign of merging.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/two-tribes-a-divided-northern-ireland-1.3030921

Ethnic separation is already happening in the UK. Native English have fled the East End of London almost entirely. The BBC even made a documentary about it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-21511904

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07czw5k

Entire towns in the north-east are on their way to becoming Muslim (Pakistani) enclaves, like this one:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3899540/Go-away-shouldn-t-Don-t-come-corner-Yorkshire-no-white-residents.html

These were not abandoned towns that the Pakistanis moved into. Natives were happy enough to live there until multiculturalism arrived. They didn't say to themselves, "Hey, here come more English citizens. Let's stick around."

What is happening is stuff like this: A white exodus from California, which those who dare to report on it euphemistically call a "middle class exodus." As California becomes Mexican, Puerto Rican or Honduran, the Irish, German, Italian and Norwegians move to places where they can be among their own kind.
    https://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/great-california-exodus-closer-look-5853.html

So much for the melting pot.

I went through that report on Californian migration. It doesn't mention race once. What's this 'white exodus' you speak of?

And this is from Wiki:

"According to 2015 US Census Bureau estimates, California's population was 72.9% White (42.3% non-Hispanic white), 14.7% Asian, 6.5% Black or African American, 1.7% Native Americans, 0.5% Pacific Islander and 3.8% from two or more races."

• Advertisement

Ethnic separation is already happening in the UK. Native English have fled the East End of London almost entirely. The BBC even made a documentary about it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-21511904

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07czw5k

The BBC story linked to there (from 2013) doesn't paint a picture of people 'fleeing', as you put it. He maintains it's a story of people moving out of London to more affluent areas, prompted to be fair, by economic change, like the Dagenham Ford plant shedding jobs, and also realising that their homes were now quite valuable. The last line is...

"It is a story of aspiration. It is a story of success."

As for your final links, the Daily Mail is a propaganda rag, not a credible source. It's like Trump saying London is Knife City run by a terrorist with Sharia law no-go areas for non-muslims. So I won't comment on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement