Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

the issue is who gets to decide what's hate speech. It has far more potential to shut down important discussion than it does to help stamp out racism.
    If you're talking about hate speech laws, then the Courts decide ultimately, based on laws passed by the Oireachtas.

What kinds of important discussions do you think might be missed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Daonnach

If you're talking about hate speech laws, then the Courts decide ultimately, based on laws passed by the Oireachtas.

Genuine curosity:
    - Has anyone in the houses of Oireachtas hinted towards how hate speech would be defined?
    - Do we have examples from anywhere else in the world that has implemented laws like this recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Usually anything contrary to the mass produced mainstream media would be defined as hate speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Daonnach

I get the sentiment, and am aware of the dangers of policing thought/speech, but I wonder how such a thing would actually be worded in legislation?

Usually anything contrary to the mass produced mainstream media would be defined as hate speech.
    Only if 'usually' means 'has never happened before anywhere and will never happen anywhere'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

which is exactly why we do need hate speech laws. racism is not acceptable, ever.

It's exactly why we don't need hate speech laws. All they are is a licence for quangos that represent minorities to keep that nice big gravy train rolling. It is important that people are able to express their views. Anyone who has concerns should be allowed to express those concerns. In the past people were too afraid of being labelled racist, Islamophobic or bigoted for expressing those concerns so they kept their mouths shut.

Now that more and more problems with multiculturalism both in Europe and at home, are being revealed there's a push for legislation that prevents anyone saying anything that a minority might find annoying. Angela Merkel has been forced to say that multiculturalism hasn't worked in Germany and that bringing so many migrants to Germany has been a disaster. Sweden is a basket case and is having to force integration on migrants.

Britain was lost long ago which is why even many ethnic minorities voted pro Brexit. France is a sink hole. Calais saw businesses go bust and people having their homes burgled as well as people being attacked going about their business. Migration/asylum has been handled backwards, anyone migrating to or seeking asylum in a country should be forced to adapt to and abide by the laws and customs of the host nation, instead of the natives having to make more and more concessions to people who have polar opposite cultural and religious views to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭8-10

blueshade wrote: »
    She didn't even consider moving to Brazil.

How do you know this? Can you link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

such an edge lord.

you'd have pavee point and the immigrant council out shouting and screaming to shut down everything negative, direct provision centres popping up everywhere with all critacism banned.

Hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I’d say if Gemma sat down with a mug of tea to watch Room to Improve last night she would have spat it all over her living room - clear RTE pushing an agenda to annoy her

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

What agenda is that then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

circadian wrote: »
    What agenda is that then?

Lol. Gay parents with a non white child. You know Gemma... her conspiracy theories would go overdrive thinking this is a Soros Jewish Islamic ISIS Paedophilic Globalist plot.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Lol. Gay parents with a non white child. You know Gemma... her conspiracy theories would go overdrive thinking this is a Soros Jewish Islamic ISIS Paedophilic Globalist plot.

You forgot Cultural Marxist!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It's exactly why we don't need hate speech laws. All they are is a licence for quangos that represent minorities to keep that nice big gravy train rolling. It is important that people are able to express their views. Anyone who has concerns should be allowed to express those concerns. In the past people were too afraid of being labelled racist, Islamophobic or bigoted for expressing those concerns so they kept their mouths shut.

Now that more and more problems with multiculturalism both in Europe and at home, are being revealed there's a push for legislation that prevents anyone saying anything that a minority might find annoying. Angela Merkel has been forced to say that multiculturalism hasn't worked in Germany and that bringing so many migrants to Germany has been a disaster. Sweden is a basket case and is having to force integration on migrants.

Britain was lost long ago which is why even many ethnic minorities voted pro Brexit. France is a sink hole. Calais saw businesses go bust and people having their homes burgled as well as people being attacked going about their business. Migration/asylum has been handled backwards, anyone migrating to or seeking asylum in a country should be forced to adapt to and abide by the laws and customs of the host nation, instead of the natives having to make more and more concessions to people who have polar opposite cultural and religious views to their own.

Yeah; nonsense.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-election/merkel-has-no-regrets-over-refugee-policy-despite-political-cost-idUSKCN1B70F2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

alastair wrote: »

Ah, don't go refuting the Gemmaroid with things like facts, now - that's unfair! :D

alastair wrote: »

Here's an article from 2010 where she is quoted as saying Germany's attempts to integrate the 4 million Muslim migrants has ''utterly failed''. Hey, it's not like they did anything like plough down people at Christmas markets....oh wait.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/17/angela-merkel-german-multiculturalism-failed

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Here's an article from 2010 where she is quoted as saying Germany's attempts to integrate the 4 million Muslim migrants has ''utterly failed''. Hey, it's not like they did anything like plough down people at Christmas markets....oh wait.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/17/angela-merkel-german-multiculturalism-failed

probably best if you read the article mentioned before responding. As the reuters article is about a decision in 2015 i'm not sure how her thoughts in 2010 are relevant.
    German Chancellor Angela Merkel said she has no regrets about her 2015 decision to open the country’s borders to hundreds of thousands of refugees and added she will not be deterred from campaigning by angry hecklers.

probably best if you read the article mentioned before responding. As the reuters article is about a decision in 2015 i'm not sure how her thoughts in 2010 are relevant.

I think you'll find that you are wrong and this social experiment that Merkel created and then inflicted on the rest of Europe has been an utter disaster. France is a toilet, Germany is a disaster, Sweden has all but been destroyed. Importing huge numbers of people who worship a prophet who was a warmongering, slave trading pedophile is an appalling stupid move and makes no sense.

We've reached a point in the west were we have better gender equality than ever before and where things are better than ever for LGBTQ people and then someone decides to import millions of people who despise LGBTQ people, who see women as second class citizens and in some cases men who have brought their child brides with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Does she ever stop trying to sue people?

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1183794145825054727?s=20

john4321 wrote: »

So cancelling bookings made under false pretense is now a thing that venues can be sued for, yeah OK.

As for the Irish patriot line, having relatives who fought in the war of independence and in Spain, she wouldn't be someone who they would have defined as the same as them, including her best buds Justin and Grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

what meeting was supposed to be held ?

• Advertisement

what meeting was supposed to be held ?

No idea im guessing something to do with 5G or chemtrails killing everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

No idea im guessing something to do with 5G or chemtrails killing everyone.

or mixed race supermarket couples, she's like a box of chocolates where most of them are bounties.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Have any if the threatened cases actually progressed at all? From what I can see they are all pending. I think she realises that she has a snowballs chance in hell of winning any of them.

It's exactly why we don't need hate speech laws. All they are is a licence for quangos that represent minorities to keep that nice big gravy train rolling.
    There is no connection between hate speech laws and quangos. You can have hate speech laws without quangos. Laws are enforced by the Courts, not by quangos.

She's putting your name in her book now.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

She sounds like Gemma's Danish sister from that article.

She sounds like Gemma's Danish sister from that article.

Sort of a Hatie Kopkins Gemmaroid alright

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Islam is right about soft heads
    The far right nazzzees should team up with isis and we'll see whose a bigot then
    Don't come crying to us then you softhead

can you try that again in english?

• Advertisement

can you try that again in english?

They can try again after they rereg for the umpteenth time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement