Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Well there are some posters who while saying that her followers are deluded, if you were to read some of their post history, you would see that they agree with some of her ideas and then some.

Like what ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

splinter65 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Irish Catholic attitudes to sex Andrew. All over the world and forever teenage children or any children don’t want to know that their parents had sex, and they certainly don’t want their friends to know that their parents ever had sex.
    Forever.
    All over the world Andrew.
    It’s human nature, which can’t be over ridden, much to your frustration.
    But you know that.
    You are starting to appear as someone who wants to remove any decency which attaches itself naturally to reproductive issues, for very good reason, and replace it with a “the only rules are that there’s no rules” concept. What do you say?

Well, yes. There are no rules. You don't get to decide how/when/where adults talk about sex. It's OK to talk about sex. I saw a tweet from a sex worker over the weekend from what appeared to be her sex work account where she was sitting down to a pre-Christmas dinner with her kids (looked like older teens or young adults, iirc).

It really is repressed Irish Catholic attitudes to suggest that parents can't talk about sex or having sex. Maybe if parents did this a bit more, the teens might get over their hangups about sex (which they have generally inherited from their parents).

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Well, yes. There are no rules. You don't get to decide how/when/where adults talk about sex. It's OK to talk about sex. I saw a tweet from a sex worker over the weekend from what appeared to be her sex work account where she was sitting down to a pre-Christmas dinner with her kids (looked like older teens or young adults, iirc).

It really is repressed Irish Catholic attitudes to suggest that parents can't talk about sex or having sex. Maybe if parents did this a bit more, the teens might get over their hangups about sex (which they have generally inherited from their parents).

In general I agree with this - in the same vein that I think it better for parents to not go all tyrannical if they find out their child is drinking before 18. It just guarantees the kid will try and hide it from them and not come to you if they need help.

That said, I also see it same as any other kind of intimate bodily function. I know my parents use the bathroom. I don't need my dad to give me an update whenever he's taken a dump. Likewise I know they have sex, and if they wanna talk about it I can either walk away or put on my headphones if I don't wanna hear it. If he wants to tweet about it I can ignore the tweet (or if its regular enough and make me uncomfortable enough, I block him - I'm free to do so just as he's free to talk about it). But I do think there's a sliding scale from "not talking about it all" to "announcing when it happens Lonely Island style" and either end of it is probably not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,988 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Right son, see you tomorrow morning. I'm heading upstairs to ride your mother".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭randd1

I think GO’D started like everyone else with the best of intentions. Mental illness or some kind of trauma has led her down this terrible road and she apparently has no one who cares about her sufficiently to save her from herself. She’s borderline psychotic at this stage and I honestly can’t see it continuing for much longer without there being some kind of tragedy.
    What’s terrifying is the sheer numbers of folk who don’t see any issue with Gemma. Folk who are going about their daily lives on the same wavelength as her. SM really exposes the levels of delusions out there.

From what I know about her and her online persona, her family have repeatedly tried to get through to her and get her help, and have appealed to her numerous times over the last few years to stop.

It would also appear they have given up on her at this stage.

There's only so much people will put up with before they abandon ship. I can see why she's so fond of Angela Ray, Angela was a former addict and Gemma is a current one, the difference being that Gemma is addicted to the conspiracies in her head and the having them validated on social media, and once validated confirms the conspiracy further, fuelling the addiction.

And like an addict under the grip of their drug of choice, she's looking for a bigger fix, in her case the bigger the conspiracy.

Either that or she's a genuine vile excuse of a human being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Stark wrote: »
    "Right son, see you tomorrow morning. I'm heading upstairs to ride your mother".

I just read the story posted on this wan.

Jesus.

Goes to show always get the full facts. Not enough people see the full story before jumping on the high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Your "I'll out-liberal the libtards and show them up for the hypocrites they are and then translate that into an 'anti-hate speech legislation is bad because...'" series of posts is, sadly, a little too transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,450 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Stark wrote: »

Be like having Pat Mustard for a dad, along with all the other hairy babies:P

T8DdfGljbZtR.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I dunno AndrewJRenko.

Maybe in your household as a kid it was normal for your parents to be discussing the previous night's riding over dinner.

It does not matter how enlightened you think your attitude is - i'd say the vast majority of people would not consider that normal. 'Disturbing' more likely.

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Like what ideas?

Bringing back mother and baby homes, banning abortion again and sterilize anyone on social welfare once they have had a set number of kids, were just some of one particular posters ideas.
    They also have issues with immigrants and asylum seekers despite not actually being Irish themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Bringing back mother and baby homes, banning abortion again and sterilize anyone on social welfare once they have had a set number of kids, were just some of one particular posters ideas.
    They also have issues with immigrants and asylum seekers despite not actually being Irish themselves.

Classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

I hate it everytime i hear a gaa middleclass country accent saying things like "well noel grealish does raise some good points" :)

Where do you hear this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

davedanon wrote: »
    "Fair play, he's not afraid to say it like it is, and he's only saying what everyone's thinking yada yada"

Words that make me want to kill, and kill again.

Thats very tolerant of you Dave.

I dunno AndrewJRenko.

Maybe in your household as a kid it was normal for your parents to be discussing the previous night's riding over dinner.

It does not matter how enlightened you think your attitude is - i'd say the vast majority of people would not consider that normal. 'Disturbing' more likely.

You know that it's OK for other people to do things differently to the way you did or do things in your house? Being different to you does not make things disturbing.

Your "I'll out-liberal the libtards and show them up for the hypocrites they are and then translate that into an 'anti-hate speech legislation is bad because...'" series of posts is, sadly, a little too transparent.

There's so many twists and sub-twists here that I'm really quite lost about what you're trying to say.

Not everyone is part of some massive conspiracy campaign. It's possible for other people to have different views to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So repressed Irish Catholic attitudes to sex are to blame for teenagers all over the world not wanting to know about their parents coitus?
    Have you any idea how stupid that sounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You know that it's OK for other people to do things differently to the way you did or do things in your house? Being different to you does not make things disturbing.

Your insistence that it’s unnatural for teenagers to be uncomfortable when presented with their parents sex lives just makes you and your opinion totally irrelevant. You really need to sort your head out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Morality is a social construct. Gotcha.

So repressed Irish Catholic attitudes to sex are to blame for teenagers all over the world not wanting to know about their parents coitus?
    Have you any idea how stupid that sounds?

I'm not quite sure that you're an approved spokesperson for teenagers all over the world. Attitudes vary around the world, but some people in Ireland are still stuck in the 1960s.

Your insistence that it’s unnatural for teenagers to be uncomfortable when presented with their parents sex lives just makes you and your opinion totally irrelevant. You really need to sort your head out.

Just for clarity, the issue on this thread that I responded to wasn't with teenagers. It was adults here having a go at a lady because she mentioned her sex life on social media.

Some people won't be happy till we're back to the valley of the squinting windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Just for clarity, the issue on this thread that I responded to wasn't with teenagers. It was adults here having a go at a lady because she mentioned her sex life on social media.

Some people won't be happy till we're back to the valley of the squinting windows.

Yeah, right, pull the other one.

We can all recognise the difference between appropriate and healthy discussion with your kids on the subject of sex, on the one hand; and completely inappropriate public posts on Facebook saying you were screaming the house down - knowing your relatives and kids can see your post! - on the other.

Singles boasting about getting the ride (whether they really managed to or not!) - sure, people do that. Maybe in private WhatsApps and Snapchats. Middle-aged parents? On Facebook? Nah, not so much.

If you can't tell the difference between what's appropriate and what's not, you're either a) trying to troll, badly; or b) ... actually, nah. You're just a poor troll. Not falling for it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can we get back on topic, which is pretty clear from the thread title, and nothing to do with wider ills (or otherwise) in society

Any questions PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

randd1 wrote: »
    From what I know about her and her online persona, her family have repeatedly tried to get through to her and get her help, and have appealed to her numerous times over the last few years to stop.

It would also appear they have given up on her at this stage.

There's only so much people will put up with before they abandon ship. I can see why she's so fond of Angela Ray, Angela was a former addict and Gemma is a current one, the difference being that Gemma is addicted to the conspiracies in her head and the having them validated on social media, and once validated confirms the conspiracy further, fuelling the addiction.

And like an addict under the grip of their drug of choice, she's looking for a bigger fix, in her case the bigger the conspiracy.

Either that or she's a genuine vile excuse of a human being.

I tend to believe the latter

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

Ironically enough, there's no shortage of hatred in this thread; in fact the nature of it is rather vile - people referred to as cockroaches etc.

"_Godot_"

I've been waiting for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Ironically enough, there's no shortage of hatred in this thread; in fact the nature of it is rather vile - people referred to as cockroaches etc.

Yes we should be much nicer to the anti-vaxx, rascist, right wing lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Unfair to all those cockroaches, who haven’t accused anyone of being a paedophile abuser, or demonstrated any homophobia, bigotry or racism whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭ollkiller

You're right. Comparing Gemma supporters to cockroaches is an awful insult to cockroaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ollkiller wrote: »
    You're right. Comparing Gemma supporters to cockroaches is an awful insult to cockroaches.

If a cockroach comes in contact with a human it will clean itself afterwards. they are more intelligent than we give them credit for.

• Advertisement

If a cockroach comes in contact with a human it will clean itself afterwards. they are more intelligent than we give them credit for.

To be fair, if most of us came into contact with Gemma, or her followers, we'd probably feel fairly dirty afterwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement