Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

davedanon wrote: »
    I do hope that no-one gets sick as a result of it, but at least it was for an important reason, and not just to sit in the park or on the beach eating ice cream and getting a tan.

Didn't that odious little prick Dominic Cummings make a similar point about taking his kids to see their grandparents? He was rightly ripped out of it by most sensible people because we can ALL think up good reasons why we should ignore the lockdown restrictions because of our own important issues. But we stick with them anyway because of the bigger issue.

You're no better than he.

Consider yourself insulted :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

growleaves wrote: »
    It is very, very important that we lock down and practice social distancing - except when it isn't.

As also evidenced by events in London, Amsterdam & elsewhere, the sheer weight of people's outrage overwhelmed the instinct to obey the rules. I didn't say it was all fine and dandy. I know there were risks taken by people. But this has become a worldwide phenomenon, and people obviously felt it was too important not to mark these occasions with their presence. Next Saturday's event has been cancelled, too.

Funny how you're more exercised about me, and that march, than President Caligula turning the USA into Gilead, though.

Didn't that odious little prick Dominic Cummings make a similar point about taking his kids to see their grandparents? He was rightly ripped out of it by most sensible people because we can ALL think up good reasons why we should ignore the lockdown restrictions because of our own important issues. But we stick with them anyway because of the bigger issue.

You're no better than he.

Consider yourself insulted :P

Jesus. My poor ego. I don't think anyone on that march knowingly had covid, though. Unlike Cummings' wife.

And I'm pretty sure no-one was directly involved in crafting a country's official pandemic guidelines. Unless Tony Holohan was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Politics > public health

Thanks for demonstrating the emptiness of the restrictions, which were instantly forgotten by vain protestors as if they never existed.

Hypocrites, in this country and internationally, did more to turn people against the lockdown than I could ever hope to.

Politics > public health

Thanks for demonstrating the emptiness of the restrictions, which were instantly forgotten by vain protestors as if they never existed.

Hypocrites, in this country and internationally, did more to turn people against the lockdown than I could ever hope to.

Not 'politics'. Humanity. Injustice. Outrage. A person got murdered, in case you've forgotten.

But of course you have.

And 'vain' tells me all I need to know about you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Politics > public health

Racism is a far more pressing issue, and people clearly feel more strongly about it than their concerns about getting sick.

As a health official today said, regarding if a second wave happens: “Blame racism.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

dan1895 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/No_MoreBullcrap/status/1267885824072433664?s=19

They were met with a counter protest yesterday.

I agree with the protest in Dublin the other day leading to legal action for the Gards, but why is it that this crowd don't have similar for every single one they have had?

I think they got one, but if I recall that was it.

Not 'politics'. Humanity. Injustice. Outrage. A person got murdered, in case you've forgotten.

But of course you have.

And 'vain' tells me all I need to know about you.

Humanity, Injustice, Outrage > Public health

Better now?

Hm some reports say the upcoming protests are going ahead.

Dave will you be joining the anti-racist petri-dish in Ballsbridge to take a potentially lethal yet morally justified stand against the secret controller of the Minnesota Police Department, Donald Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

As also evidenced by events in London, Amsterdam & elsewhere, the sheer weight of people's outrage overwhelmed the instinct to obey the rules. I didn't say it was all fine and dandy. I know there were risks taken by people. But this has become a worldwide phenomenon, and people obviously felt it was too important not to mark these occasions with their presence. Next Saturday's event has been cancelled, too.

Funny how you're more exercised about me, and that march, than President Caligula turning the USA into Gilead, though.

Saturdays isnt. Mondays is.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Waters and O'Doherthy are going to have to pay costs to the state. Wonderful news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Waters and O'Doherthy are going to have to pay costs to the state. Wonderful news.

Patiently waiting on her nonsensical tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Now watch them be able to quietly and promptly pay it without any problem whatsoever, while very few question where that money came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Now watch them be able to quietly and promptly pay it without any problem whatsoever, while very few question where that money came from.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/o-doherty-and-waters-ordered-to-pay-legal-costs-of-case-against-state-over-covid-19-laws-1.4270600

Agree. Many of these "patriots" (especially "pro-lifers") seem happy to take money from foreign agents....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Could someone start a gofundme to help out? I'm sure I have some Green Shield stamps I could contribute

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Considering Waters decided to be jailed for an afternoon to avoid paying a €40 parking fine he even admitted he was wrong on, I can't imagine the State are going to get much of the money unless Waters/Gemma fans fundraise the costs between themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭francois

This is hilarious, she's going to have to stump up at least 60k (more if she appeals).
    Currently she's having a rant against the judge, claiming she won't pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

francois wrote: »
    This is hilarious, she's going to have to stump up at least 60k (more if she appeals).
    Currently she's having a rant against the judge, claiming she won't pay.

Maybe they'll both take jail time instead. Half their fan base are there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

UpBack1234 wrote: »
    Obviously they won't pay or will have it paid for them by the Iona Institute or some other bunch of wingnuts - but still good to see costs awarded against them. A nice kick in the teeth for this pair of malignant narcissists.
    It will be a nice boost to Sebastians annual income in these difficult times. We didnt put him through law school to end up on a Covid 19 payment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

Its hysterical really. Hope she appeals and runs up even more of a bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

Just reading the IT article, basically the Judge said that if they had put any kind of a legal case at all, he would have considered not awarding costs against them.

Essentially, they were wasting everyone's time, and should pay accordingly.

This has been a rare ray of light in these awful times. I reckon 3 or 4 months in chokey would do the two of them a power of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Probably not a good idea calling the judge corrupt on twitter...:rolleyes:

Another trumpesque moron whose rantings are inflicted on the public in age of social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Edgware wrote: »
    It will be a nice boost to Sebastians annual income in these difficult times. We didnt put him through law school to end up on a Covid 19 payment

you do realise that it is taxpayers money that will be spent if/when gemma and john dont pay up? the government will pay their own costs and seek to recoup. they will be doing well to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

you do realise that it is taxpayers money that will be spent if/when gemma and john dont pay up? the government will pay their own costs and seek to recoup. they will be doing well to get it.

I think both Gemma and John own property, send in the bailiffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

tigger123 wrote: »
    Just reading the IT article, basically the Judge said that if they had put any kind of a legal case at all, he would have considered not awarding costs against them.

The sheer mindless arrogance of it though - they'd no idea how to put a case together, or the procedures and don't seem to have sought out any legal expertise at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think both Gemma and John own property, send in the bailiffs.

againt a family home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

againt a family home?

I'd be happy enough if they took their cars, phones, computers etc., and emptied their bank accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭Acosta

tigger123 wrote: »

Both appear to still have same small group of 15 or 20 clowns following them around now as they did before this lame and very costly publicity stunt. Maybe Flatley or Jimbo will give them a dig out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Right decision on the costs imo irrespective of the people involved. A complete waste of time and resources.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement