Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,427 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm of the opinion that the politicians who agree with GO'D should be open about it no matter what. We shouldn't be ruled by media.

on the first we are in agreement. on the second i agree as well. Thankfully i dont believe we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    They ( RTE) deliberately select oddballs to advance a apprehensive attitude towards immigration, this is designed to make middle Ireland feel they will be lumped in with said weirdos should they consider expressing reservations about immigration, DP etc

Oh I agree that there is an element of that. But 3 folks were interviewed, none were coherated In there objection... basically rapes, destroyed the town, Sweden (not wearing a condom can be rape in Sweden)...Am saying that everyone who gets into a DP center are perfect no, but the idea that everyone going into these centers are rapist is ludicrous...

But some folks are justified in there concern, just look at Rotherham, Rochdale, Huddersfield and Halifax...All perpetrated by 1 social group, and police forces were slow to act for fear of being called racist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Exactly. RTÉ are actually doing the opposite of what they think they are doing. Gemmas fan base already think RTE is a Government propaganda channel so this will be more ‘proof’ for them. It will also attract many new racists to join in support. The best option is to ignore and let her fade away quietly.

I couldn't but laugh at the way RTE editorialised it's report last night. The reason the likes of GO'D are growing (yet tbf still small) is because there is no real discussion about migration in media - and any discussion that happens tends to paint those as racists. (Rather ironically, genuine racists are taking advantage of that).And that's before you get to the obsession RTE and the Irish Times with DP. That said, the current bunch of far right are too extreme to gain reasonable support but they are fertilising the ground for a respectable looking, middle class, decent orator to come in with a more nuanced message and take up that mantle. With the realignment currently happening in Irish politics is expect to see that in the lifetime of the next Dail.

You are right on that GO'D and her merry band don't trust RTE so a report like that isn't going to convert any of them. However you are wrong about ignoring them and then fading away. That would've been true maybe 10 years ago but the likes of GO'D have Facebook and plenty of other online channels now to maintain a following.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You are right on that GO'D and her merry band don't trust RTE so a report like that isn't going to convert any of them. However you are wrong about ignoring them and then fading away. That would've been true maybe 10 years ago but the likes of GO'D have Facebook and plenty of other online channels now to maintain a following.

Well herself and Justin Barrett et al have been as vocal as anyone can possibly be for the last number of years and all of them, every single one, were totally ignored in the last election. Most candidates got under 1% of the vote. Utter humiliation on a national scale.

In the meantime we've seen same-sex marriage legalised, the eighth amendment appealed, blasphemy law removed and a fall of the cliff decline in mass attendance.

Don't confuse Twitter and Facebook activity with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is true. Question Time on BBC does this. Have the nativists represented by someone scruff and badly-spoken, then have him rebutted by experienced, well-spoken media insiders.

And on the subject of the "silent majority," I'm not sure, but I have it from a political insider that a lot of politicians agree with O'Doherty but are afraid to say so in public because the media would destroy them.

Question Time is an interesting example of a program that's gone badly awry in recent years.

It's basically Jeremy Kyle now albeit a bit more restrained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

Question Time is an interesting example of a program that's gone badly awry in recent years.

It's basically Jeremy Kyle now albeit a bit more restrained.

I'd be inclined to agree, but unfortunately I think the audience is pretty representative of the voting public.

The Nal wrote: »
    Well herself and Justin Barrett et al have been as vocal as anyone can possibly be for the last number of years and all of them, every single one, were totally ignored in the last election. Most candidates got under 1% of the vote. Utter humiliation on a national scale.

In the meantime we've seen same-sex marriage legalised, the eighth amendment appealed, blasphemy law removed and a fall of the cliff decline in mass attendance.

I don't expect the right to be a majority but a third of voters rejected abortion and iirc 44% rejected same sex marriage so that could coalesce around a single entity if it is broad and respectable enough e.g. See the Presidential election and Casey.

That said, the rise of the nationalist right has long been predicted here and has yet to materialise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Nal wrote: »

As Bob Dylan sang (in his own inimitable way) "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

that chinese one that was on, said she was called 'the c word' still don't know if it was a four or a five letter word, was hardly the 6 letter word though...

Don't recall seeing any Chinese one on it. There was yer wan from Knocklyon - are you a bit confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

joeguevara wrote: »
    I wonder would she ever put forward the defence in a defamation case that she is so reprehensible that anything she says or published wouldn’t lower the defamed in the mind or eyes in right thinking people. Be some defence.

would be her only hope

she said I was involved in the murder and cover up of my cousin who went missing in 1977 aged 6 in Donegal

her body has never been found so although I believe she has been murdered theres no proof

also I was born in 1979

in Glasgow

and lived there until late 2006

and I have private messages from Gemma saying my family have been wronged by the state etc so she knows its lies herself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Oh I agree that there is an element of that. But 3 folks were interviewed, none were coherated In there objection... basically rapes, destroyed the town, Sweden (not wearing a condom can be rape in Sweden)...Am saying that everyone who gets into a DP center are perfect no, but the idea that everyone going into these centers are rapist is ludicrous...

But some folks are justified in there concern, just look at Rotherham, Rochdale, Huddersfield and Halifax...All perpetrated by 1 social group, and police forces were slow to act for fear of being called racist

its not unreasonable to question why we need or should want to increase the african population in this country , at this stage its received wisdom that its both the right and obvious thing to do , no one ever says " wait a minute "

that reservations are expressed by uncouth , unsophisticated and uneducated people , does not negate this

i ask now , why is it a good thing that the african population in ireland continues to increase ? , what would be so problematic about putting a stop to this ?

I couldn't but laugh at the way RTE editorialised it's report last night. The reason the likes of GO'D are growing (yet tbf still small) is because there is no real discussion about migration in media - and any discussion that happens tends to paint those as racists. (Rather ironically, genuine racists are taking advantage of that).And that's before you get to the obsession RTE and the Irish Times with DP. That said, the current bunch of far right are too extreme to gain reasonable support but they are fertilising the ground for a respectable looking, middle class, decent orator to come in with a more nuanced message and take up that mantle. With the realignment currently happening in Irish politics is expect to see that in the lifetime of the next Dail.

the only place you will hear an educated and sophisticated discussion about issues like immigration in ireland is from john mc guirk or the other guys at GRIPT , gary kavangh and michael dwyer from " the right side " podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I don't expect the right to be a majority but a third of voters rejected abortion and iirc 44% rejected same sex

You do not recall correctly. Much closer to 66% than 44%.

Basically, 2/3rds of the Irish electorate are sound, 1/3 is a mixture of old-fashioned, still caught up in Catholicism, or "I don't agree with it therefore nobody else should have the right to..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

its not unreasonable to question why we need or should want to increase the african population in this country , at this stage its received wisdom that its both the right and obvious thing to do , no one ever says " wait a minute "

that reservations are expressed by uncouth , unsophisticated and uneducated people , does not negate this

i ask now , why is it a good thing that the african population in ireland continues to increase ? , what would be so problematic about putting a stop to this ?

What's so wrong with it? Any African people I have met in this country have only had a positive impact on me. Whether they are people I played football with or those I worked with.
    These people are coming here to better their lives here like the Irish have done in many places before them and I don't understand why anyone would begrudge them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

dan1895 wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone would begrudge them that.

The answer is quite obvious, really...

You do not recall correctly. Much closer to 66% than 44%.

Basically, 2/3rds of the Irish electorate are sound, 1/3 is a mixture of old-fashioned, still caught up in Catholicism, or "I don't agree with it therefore nobody else should have the right to..."

I don't care whether or not you think these people are sound, the truth is there was, at the last count, approx 1/3 of voters with a conservative/right of centre outlook. These voters are effectively politically homeless at the moment at least with these aspects of their views as there is no party in the Dail that you could consider on the right. The current options on the right of the spectrum are too extreme to appeal to these voters however.

Irish politics is at a fork right now. The new dail will either see SF entirely hold the opposition position, and will therefore be the majority party in the next government - or - a new party will form from the former supporters of FF (in particular) and FG that will be to the right of centre and they become the second opposition voice. If the new party forms, for it to be an electoral success, it will need to be led by a charismatic acceptable face and be a slick operation, rather than the out and out flag waving loonies and racists you see on the Irish right at the moment.

I know the above sounds a lot like Libertas - I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of those involved previously try to learn from the previous failure and attempt to reboot it in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I don't care whether or not you think these people are sound, the truth is there was, at the last count, approx 1/3 of voters with a conservative/right of centre outlook. These voters are effectively politically homeless at the moment at least with these aspects of their views as there is no party in the Dail that you could consider on the right. The current options on the right of the spectrum are too extreme to appeal to these voters however.

Irish politics is at a fork right now. The new dail will either see SF entirely hold the opposition position, and will therefore be the majority party in the next government - or - a new party will form from the former supporters of FF (in particular) and FG that will be to the right of centre and they become the second opposition voice. If the new party forms, for it to be an electoral success, it will need to be led by a charismatic acceptable face and be a slick operation, rather than the out and out flag waving loonies and racists you see on the Irish right at the moment.

I know the above sounds a lot like Libertas - I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of those involved previously try to learn from the previous failure and attempt to reboot it in some way.

You don't think FF or FG are at all conservative/right of centre? Really?

davedanon wrote: »
    You don't think FF or FG are at all conservative/right of centre? Really?

Both parties leadership backed yes in both referendums on same sex marriage and abortion so, no, neither FF nor FG are socially conservative/right - not the parliamentary parties at least. You could argue that perhaps FG might be fiscally on the right, but my memory of recent budgets would be that they rather spend on welfare than giving the man that gets up early a break.

Over the course of the last 10 years, the central position of Irish politics has shifted from centre right to centre left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Both parties leadership backed yes in both referendums on same sex marriage and abortion so, no, neither FF nor FG are socially conservative/right - not the parliamentary parties at least. You could argue that perhaps FG might be fiscally on the right, but my memory of recent budgets would be that they rather spend on welfare than giving the man that gets up early a break.

Over the course of the last 10 years, the central position of Irish politics has shifted from centre right to centre left.

I'm guessing you're a 'man' that gets up early.

Both those parties are centre-right. If they seem left wing on social issues to you, then that's probably because they have moved with the times, unlike you.

davedanon wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're a 'man' that gets up early.

Both those parties are centre-right. If they seem left wing on social issues to you, then that's probably because they have moved with the times, unlike you.

Don't worry about whether or not I get up early, thanks.

Yes indeed those parties have moved with the times - Ireland's political compass has shifted left and FF and FG have moved with it. But same sex marriage and abortion were and are not in the right wing canon. In fact opposition to those two issues are generally seen as totemic for the right. You simply cannot advocate for liberalisation on those two issues and credibly consider to be "right-wing" not on social issues at least. You could argue that FG are fiscally conservative, but the balance between tax vs spend as the country emerged from austerity would really make you question that.

Being to the right of PBP does not a right wing party make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You simply cannot advocate for liberalisation on those two issues and credibly consider to be "right-wing" not on social issues at least.

Ah c'mon. Even the Tory party voted both through across the water.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Why is it a bad thing? Why would you want to put a stop to it?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    Why is it a bad thing? Why would you want to put a stop to it?

Why is it a good thing?

What is wrong with the Japanese approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Don't recall seeing any Chinese one on it. There was yer wan from Knocklyon - are you a bit confused?

Must have been the four letter word so, thanks.

FG and FF are center right firstly and this has not changed. Also in relation to those who voted against same sex marriage etc. That demographic is literally dying out. So)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Must have been the four letter word so, thanks.

Yeah, the tweet appeared on screen - so it was the four letter word, and it wasn't a once off from what I've seen on Twitter.

Having a different name or appearance, and being uppity enough to speak out, seems to get right up some people's noses.

FG and FF are center right firstly and this has not changed. Also in relation to those who voted against same sex marriage etc. That demographic is literally dying out. So)

both prioritise pleasing the public sector and welfare class ahead of the private sector , especially FF

both are tax and spend parties , ireland has always been economically left wing , irish people love big government , that is an undeniable fact , from the well off to those who dont work

the only area we have been right wing is when it comes to policy towards FDI , everyone else is taxed to the gills to pay for government largesse

we were once socially conservative as the church dictated morals , the media dictates morality today , all political party leaders belong to the WOKE faith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Renua is conservative, as is Aontu. They’ve made very little headway with the electorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Peter from Gort

I think Gemma actually did very well in the elections that she ran in considering that the internet is her only platform and of course because how wacky her views are. I was expecting her to do William DJ Gorman bad and only get about 20 votes but 1200/1500 votes is not to be mocked, remember Richard Boyd Barrett got 800 votes the first time he ran in 2002 and Luke Ming got 500 votes the first time he ran in 1997

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I think Gemma actually did very well in the elections that she ran in considering that the internet is her only platform and of course because how wacky her views are. I was expecting her to do William DJ Gorman bad and only get about 20 votes but 1200/1500 votes is not to be mocked, remember Richard Boyd Barrett got 800 votes the first time he ran in 2002 and Luke Ming got 500 votes the first time he ran in 1997

Gemma had numerous Dublin buses with her face plastered all over them. Her campaign was very well funded and far from just her own platform organically campaigning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement