Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Most likely casual contracts and minimum wage.
    There is no jobs that Irish people will not do. There is of course wages and conditions that Irish people will not except.

Those wages and conditions that Irish people will not accept are for jobs that Irish people will not do.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

binman for starters

A lot of service industries struggle to recruit sufficient numbers in Ireland so have recruitment abroad. Butlers for example recruits in Croatia

McDonalds and Burgerking struggled for years to get native English speakers.

Aldi and Lidl staff are predominantly non-Irish

Really? My binmen are all Irish. Not that it matters to me but I think Irish wont do any job is more BS than anything. Proof is in 90s when I was growing up and every tom and harry had jobs.

I know of Irish people who applied to get Job in Aldi or Lidl.

Really? My binmen are all Irish. Not that it matters to me but I think Irish wont do any job is more BS than anything. Proof is in 90s when I was growing up and every tom and harry had jobs.

I know of Irish people who applied to get Job in Aldi or Lidl.

Why is this always the answer? some Irish applying for a few jobs is not proof that there's Irish that won't take certain jobs. As I said, butlers recruits abroad now. Dell and Intel were famous for recruiting in eastern Europe.

The 90s? as in before the Celtic tiger and leading into it? It's 2020 now.

None of my binmen are Irish or at least none that I have spoken to.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why is this always the answer? some Irish applying for a few jobs is not proof that there's Irish that won't take certain jobs. As I said, butlers recruits abroad now. Dell and Intel were famous for recruiting in eastern Europe.

The 90s? as in before the Celtic tiger and leading into it? It's 2020 now.

None of my binmen are Irish or at least none that I have spoken to.

You said no Irish will take the jobs.

I'm debunking that BS

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Broadstone Bob

Penfailed wrote: »
    Those wages and conditions that Irish people will not accept are for jobs that Irish people will not do.

Well people should say it how it is then....

"there is jobs in Ireland that Irish people will not do"

=

"there is jobs in Ireland which pay an unlivable wage, on zero hour contracts, with poor and unsafe working conditions, that Irish people will not do"

In a lot of cases the employers in these jobs will specifically target people from overseas as they are less inclined to join unions or complain about the conditions and wages as they see it as a "foot in the door" or a step up from whatever situation they were in overseas which means more profit for the employers.

• Advertisement

Well people should say it how it is then....

"there is jobs in Ireland that Irish people will not do"

=

"there is jobs in Ireland which pay an unlivable wage, on zero hour contracts, with poor and unsafe working conditions, that Irish people will not do"

In a lot of cases the employers in these jobs will specifically target people from overseas as they are less inclined to join unions or complain about the conditions and wages as they see it as a "foot in the door" or a step up from whatever situation they were in overseas which means more profit for the employers.

So, you admit that you are wrong to say that there are no jobs that Irish people won't do. Cheers.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

So, you admit that you are wrong to say that there are no jobs that Irish people won't do. Cheers.

No I don't. Cheers.
    IMO a job is work performed in return for a fair livable wage, in safe working conditions and in an environment were I do not feel threatened if I speak out about unfair practices and unsafe or unhealthy conditions.

What you seem to be talking about when saying "jobs that Irish people won't do" is exploitation of vulnerable people.

No I don't. Cheers.
    IMO a job is work performed in return for a fair livable wage, in safe working conditions and in an environment were I do not feel threatened if I speak out about unfair practices and unsafe or unhealthy conditions.

What you seem to be talking about when saying "jobs that Irish people won't do" is exploitation of vulnerable people.

A job is a job. You can dance around the definition all you want.

You said no Irish will take the jobs.

I'm debunking that BS

No I didn't. That was another user. I followed up with examples of jobs that struggle to recruit Irish staff. Only have your word for the bin company.

It doesn't change the reality that the companies struggle to bring in native staff

A job is a job. You can dance around the definition all you want.

"A job is a job"

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Are you obsessed with Africans? :pac:

It shows that our immigration system is a shambles when the majority of visa required nationals resident here, don’t work. The majority of them are unemployed and a drain on the state.

A proper country wouldn’t let them in. You don’t import people and allow them to live off the state. They must be repatriated.

limitedIQ wrote: »
    In old Folks homes, the domestic staff (cleaners, porters) are all non-Irish and probably the majority of HCA's are also non-Irish.

These places could not run without them.

And they’re running death factories at the moment. Not a month goes by were I don’t read a story of abusive non national carers.

https://gript.ie/grotesque-carer-used-cloth-after-urinating-then-wiped-blind-elderly-womans-face/

Maybe they should increase wages and hire Irish people.

micosoft wrote: »
    It still doesn't address the fact that Immigrants do the jobs the Irish won't do.

I don't recall the Irish being made do a points system going to America or the UK?

Have you tried to get into America recently? Your visa will state that you cannot access social welfare and you won’t get in unless in a highly skilled profession.

Compare and contrast with us. Unless you’re suggesting that we should adopt America’s immigration policies? If so, I agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭francois

This thread has been hijacked into another anti immigration one.

francois wrote: »
    This thread has been hijacked into another anti immigration one.

A bit like Gemma herself then really.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Most likely casual contracts and minimum wage.
    There is no jobs that Irish people will not do. There is of course wages and conditions that Irish people will not except.

correct, normally that rate is anything less than the welfare is paying is an absolute no, and up to 1.5x welfare if its not too early a start / theres no weekend work / its not too hard / its close to home etc...

the Irish work ethic is completely susceptible to 'is it more fulfilling than watching jezzer Kyle and sipping cans all day'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

DubInMeath wrote: »
    How dare you,

You've just been brainwashed by the MSM that's your problem.

Well, I like to think I have a nice clean brain, right enough :)

I dont think Gemma spoke at the weekend. You must have seen someone else speaking.

Sure sounded like her. Don't tell me there's another one!!!!!!

Oops! I've just had a look at the YouTube video of the rally and it wasn't Gemma speaking, it was in fact Dolores Cahill. They actually sound quite alike in full shrill mode.

As I mentioned, I didn't get close enough to the stage to see who was talking, as I actually DO believe in Social Distancing but I thought it sounded like Ms O'Doherty.

It wasn't. It was Dolores Cahill.

I will try to amend my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No you're ok. The sound you heard was someone dropping a chalkboard onto a family of gibbons.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

A short video doing rounds on Twitter of what looks like Gemma getting herself arrested for refusing to give her name and address to a guard while she was trying to hang banners on a motorway bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭jay1988

Listed under "things you love to see"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Fieldog wrote: »

Deeee hobbling away as fast she could :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Worra bow me rites Joe

It was only a matter of time before she wound the guards up enough to be arrested. Rub it up 'er!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,676 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ther are many so annoying things about Gemma O'Doherty - but its that arrogant voice really gets into me - the voice of a Karen - she did some good investigative work a few years back but her jumping on the anti-lockdown cause was the worst thing possible for that cause - thats how far she is fallen , she strikes me as unwell (being polite)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭francois

You would need a heart of stone not laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,631 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ahahahahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement