Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

davedanon wrote: »
    A racist duck.

Quack lives matter!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

frag420 wrote: »
    Quack lives matter!!!!

Chapeau!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

sabat wrote: »
    I'm going to call bollocks on that anecdote. So another young single mother (presumably poor and uneducated) was supervising the birth, diagnosed the need for an episiotomy, had a scalpel to hand, performed the operation including stitching and disinfecting and both mother and child lived?

Call what you want, I don't give a ****. Maybe read some recent Irish history - I'd suggest you start with Mike Milotte and Mary Raftery, both respected journalists, who detail what went on in mother and baby homes. And there are any number of accounts from survivors and people who worked in them.

What I described happened, what they describe was sometimes far worse - the nuns were all about punishing the mothers for their "sin".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Call what you want, I don't give a ****. Maybe read some recent Irish history - I'd suggest you start with Mike Milotte and Mary Raftery, both respected journalists, who detail what went on in mother and baby homes. And there are any number of accounts from survivors and people who worked in them.

What I described happened, what they describe was sometimes far worse - the nuns were all about punishing the mothers for their "sin".

Oh give over. I just described step by step what you're claiming to have happened and it's beyond credible. It didn't happen; it's impossible for it to have happened. Even being uber-cynical-if the nuns were selling babies for profit why would they put one in a situation where there's a high probability it would die? You were caught out and now you're doubling down with emotive manipulation.

Both my grandmothers were in these places. The first aunty has never been found. The second aunty was after 40 years.

Neither have ever suggested medical attention was not performed by professionals. You have gone extreme when it really isnt needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

sabat wrote: »
    Oh give over. I just described step by step what you're claiming to have happened and it's beyond credible. It didn't happen; it's impossible for it to have happened. Even being uber-cynical-if the nuns were selling babies for profit why would they put one in a situation where there's a high probability it would die? You were caught out and now you're doubling down with emotive manipulation.

Anything is possible when the church are involved

Both my grandmothers were in these places. The first aunty has never been found. The second aunty was after 40 years.

Neither have ever suggested medical attention was not performed by professionals. You have gone extreme when it really isnt needed

Maybe they were lucky to have been in one of the more decent ones? I don't know.

"When Ms Goulding asked why she could not access needles to stitch women who had been torn during childbirth, she was told she was not allowed to open the cabinet. 'I’m afraid, nurse, the key to that cabinet has never been handed over. Girls must suffer their pain and put up with the pain of being torn — she [the nun] says they should atone for their sin.' - from The Light in the Window, by June Goulding, a nurse in the Bessboro M&B home in Cork.

But sure, believe what you want. You're entitled to that. Nevermind the many published eyewitness accounts from inmates, survivors and former staff.

@sabat - how the **** is it "impossible" for what I described to happen? The account, as related to me, was from a survivor of the home (not Bessboro). They had a doctor on call, the doctor was not called after hours. Births took place in a delivery home in the M&B home, they were not brought to a hospital. I didn't mention babies being sold, though we know that went on, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

From the far right publication of the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ity-sharia-law

-50% of all UK muslims think homosexuality should be illegal.
    -23% want Sharia law in UK.

If you support the mass migration of people who follow this cult and call yourself a liberal, you are simply a hypocrite who is only concerned with gaining social capital.

And before you call me a racist, I dont care about the ethnic background of the individuals only what they genuinely believe. I would be just as concerned if a load of scientologists or Qanon nutjobs were migrating here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

John Doe1 wrote: »

If you support the mass migration of people who follow this cult and call yourself a liberal, you are simply a hypocrite who is only concerned with gaining social capital.

And before you call me a racist, I dont care about the ethnic background of the individuals only what they genuinely believe. I would be just as concerned if a load of scientologists or Qanon nutjobs were migrating here.

Okay Gemma/John Waters?, sorry John Doe1

You should realise that the Guardian isn't one of the most reliable papers when it comes to stories like this.

But regardless of that.

Like it or not a lot of Catholics (and some Protestants) disapprove of homosexuality too. That's the thing about religions they tend to have deep rooted beliefs.
    However 50% of a minority of the population wouldn't be able to get a law passed making it illegal again.

Only 23% of ALL Muslims want Sharia law, well then there is nothing to worry about. Even if all the voters in the country were Muslim there would still be insufficient numbers to bring it in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah I think maybe Gemma has more in common with strict Muslims than she does with modern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

humberklog wrote: »
    Yeah I think maybe Gemma has more in common with strict Muslims than she does with modern Ireland.

She did try briefly to deny it in the hope of getting a few more votes.

She is against so many things it's not surprising she forgets.

https://gcn.ie/dublin-bus-backlash-lgbt-community-running-gemma-odoherty-advertisement/

Okay Gemma/John Waters?, sorry John Doe1

You should realise that the Guardian isn't one of the most reliable papers when it comes to stories like this.

But regardless of that.

Like it or not a lot of Catholics (and some Protestants) disapprove of homosexuality too. That's the thing about religions they tend to have deep rooted beliefs.
    However 50% of a minority of the population wouldn't be able to get a law passed making it illegal again.

Only 23% of ALL Muslims want Sharia law, well then there is nothing to worry about. Even if all the voters in the country were Muslim there would still be insufficient numbers to bring it in.

Why do you assume I support those people? Do yourself a favour and read some Sam Harris or Majid Nawaaz on the topic.

Yeah and I would not want a mass migration of people who espoused such beliefs. We are a modern liberal country now who arent bound by superstition anymore. Why would we want to go back to the dark days?

23% of British Muslims, it is much higher in the Islamic world where the migrants would be coming from to our country.

So you would be happy to invite a group of people into our country where every 2nd or 3rd person would want to destroy our constitution and implement such rules as death by stoning for being gay?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Why do you assume I support those people? Do yourself a favour and read some Sam Harris or Majid Nawaaz on the topic.

Yeah and I would not want a mass migration of people who espoused such beliefs. We are a modern liberal country now who arent bound by superstition anymore. Why would we want to go back to the dark days?

23% of British Muslims, it is much higher in the Islamic world where the migrants would be coming from to our country.

So you would be happy to invite a group of people into our country where every 2nd or 3rd person would want to destroy our constitution and implement such rules as death by stoning for being gay?

Gemma O'Doherty would like Ireland to return to the "dark days" and it is after all a thread about Gemma O'Doherty.

humberklog wrote: »
    Gemma O'Doherty would like Ireland to return to the "dark days" and it is after all a thread about Gemma O'Doherty.

This is my first response on this thread:

"There are legitimate grievances about mass migration of peoples from extremely different cultures to our small young nation. It should be ok to question this in a democratic society. Gemma, however is not well mentally and some of her rhetoric would not be out of place in the third reich. Someone"

One of the reactionary far left so prevelant on this thread then took issue with me inferring that maybe mass migration of followers of a cult want to return society to the middle ages might not end up in creating a utopia in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

We've had the catholic equivalent of sharia law in Ireland since 1949.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    We've had the catholic equivalent of sharia law in Ireland since 1949.

What a baseless and facetious statment.

Firstly, the Catholic church (as you well know) hasnt been close to levers of power in this country in about 40 years.

Also, Sharia law is more barbaric than anythhing the Catholic Church has done since with the Spanish inquisition. I dont remember Cardinal Brady ordering the beaheading of adulterers for instance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Firstly, the Catholic church (as you well know) hasnt been close to levers of power in this country in about 40 years.

Also, Sharia law is more barbaric than anythhing the Catholic Church has done since with the Spanish inquisition. I dont remember Cardinal Brady ordering the beaheading of adulterers for instance...

It depends on what you consider to be the levers of power.
    91% of children in Ireland attend Catholic schools, compared to the 78% of Irish people who consider themselves as Catholic.

I also consider that in light of the current Brexit shenanigans, the role of Catholic groups (AOH and others) could become significant in stirring up issues in NI should the Tories overstep.

There are also influential groups and councils like the Iona Institute and Youth defense, while not directly in control of anything, are organised and have an agenda that clearly runs contrary to the public majority.

I don't see any genuine difference between some of the horrors of historical abuse in Ireland and some of the ongoing atrocities being committed under Islamic banners.

The bottom line is that these organizations demand faith, compliance and surrender to a "higher power" without a shred of evidence that stands up to scientific or statistical scrutiny. This to me is no different from a cult. The risk of people being exploited, abused or ma manipulated contrary to their own best interests is extraordinarily high when you consider the odds of unscrupulous people rising to positions of authority in cults.

It is perfectly possible to live a good christian life without ever setting foot in a church, everything else is just dogmatic string laid over the top to increase control, influence and convolute the original teachings which were very straightforward.

Religion, like Nationalism as it currently exists is not a particularly useful social construct for our species in the future as both are divisive and serve to hinder clarity of action and communication.
    Unfortunately, they are both here to stay as the vaccum they would leave behind would lead to cults of personality filling the void. Our future existence is dependent on these constructs evolving to better protect themselves from malignant psychopaths rising to positions of power and abusing their constituent members. The alternative conflicts will tear our society apart.

It depends on what you consider to be the levers of power.
    91% of children in Ireland attend Catholic schools, compared to the 78% of Irish people who consider themselves as Catholic.

I also consider that in light of the current Brexit shenanigans, the role of Catholic groups (AOH and others) could become significant in stirring up issues in NI should the Tories overstep.

There are also influential groups and councils like the Iona Institute and Youth defense, while not directly in control of anything, are organised and have an agenda that clearly runs contrary to the public majority.

The unelected, invitation-only Iona Institute somehow has weekly columns in two of our three broadsheets.

To add to the other examples, the last Magdalene Laundry only closed its doors in 1996. The survivors of Gloucester Place and other laundries still have not been compensated.

One of the orders of nuns refusing to pay compensation now runs Ruhama, an NGO actively campaigning for laws that put women at proven increased risk of violence. Twenty years on, and they're still trying to control women's bodies.

Roughly 33% of the country opposed marriage equality and repeal of the 8th - it's not unreasonable to assume most of them did so at the urging of the RC church.

So yeah, not too worried about 23% of British Muslims.

In on-topic news - who would have ever thought Jedward would offer more more caring, insightful and science-based advice and inspiration than "award-winning journalist" Gemma O'Doherty...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

In on-topic news - who would have ever thought Jedward would offer more more caring, insightful and science-based advice and inspiration than "award-winning journalist" Gemma O'Doherty...

A proper pair of role models..

NINTCHDBPICT000586875425.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A proper pair of role models..

NINTCHDBPICT000586875425.jpg

Fair play to them but you’d think they’d have enough money to buy a couple of belts.

Jedward in a BLM march is surely the nadir of the whole 'look at me, im soo woke, give me insta likes' fad.

I'd say putting a French flag on your facebook wall after the last Paris attacks would be considered racist now.

Jedward in a BLM march is surely the nadir of the whole 'look at me, im soo woke, give me insta likes' fad.

I'd say putting a French flag on your facebook wall after the last Paris attacks would be considered racist now.

Only in your head.

You're someone who obviously doesn't know many Muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

BLM.is a scam.

BLM.is a scam.

It's a very particular type of person that makes that claim and invariably they simply wish to ignore abuse of the rights of certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Any news about G*mma O D*herty?

Considering the past few pages have no actual chatter about her, she must have taken the weekend off to leave Dublin... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

It's a very particular type of person that makes that claim and invariably they simply wish to ignore abuse of the rights of certain people.
    Well whatever about BLM, it certainly seems the sister organisation, Antifa, is populated by huge amounts of criminals, drug dealers women and children abusers.
    These organisations, same as religions, are often a vehicle for people who have done wrongs to regain cred, virtue signalling in the extreme.
    I'd wager BLM is a similar vehicle for some, inherently bad people looking to raise their profile.

For Jedward (it is Jedward ?) to come out in support of anything is fine for daily mail readers who need to be lead through life by examples like this by celebs and need a mission if not a religion in life. But Jedward would not be intellectual powerhouses and are really late jumping on a bandwagon and aren't even offering much of an example. If you are big into Jedward, great news, if not a fan it's meaningless.

Well whatever about BLM, it certainly seems the sister organisation, Antifa, is populated by huge amounts of criminals, drug dealers women and children abusers.

Which organisation would this be? Can You tell us where it's based? An address? An official website? Somewhere to send our donations? I mean, it must be a real, legal entity, right? :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Fieldog wrote: »
    Any news about G*mma O D*herty?

Considering the past few pages have no actual chatter about her, she must have taken the weekend off to leave Dublin... :)

No she was outside RTE with the rest of those pathetic sad sacks telling Fauci to "go home" on Friday night.

Fauci wasn't in Ireland. He was actually, at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Shows how stupid these people are. Can they not fine them, or shoot them?

https://twitter.com/Antcon7062/status/1309624076353310721

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement