Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I'm trying to be romantic here!

Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
    It's with O'Leary in the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

dasdog wrote: »
    Dee's supporters were comparing her to Maud Gonne during the week. I'm awaiting a reply after challenging that.

Gone mad more like, a terrible beauty is born innit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Billy Mays wrote: »
    You think most people with left wing views don't or never will work?

To go bac to this, here's a profile of the Stansted 15, a group of the wacky and weird who invaded the airport to stop 60 people being deported- 6 of whom were convicted of crimes including murder and, one I'm sure at least some of the protestors were particularly sympathetic to, child rape.

Nathan Clack, 30. Born in Newcastle but now a London activist.
    Edward Thacker, 29. The son of a West End theatre director.
    Benjamin Smoke, 27. A freelance journalist.
    Nicholas Sigsworth, 29. Electronic musician with the stage name Klaus.
    Helen Brewer, 29. A London artist and film-maker.
    Emma Hughes, 38. Member of Switched On London, an energy campaign group.
    May MacKeith, 33. From an activist family that leads immigration protests.
    Jyotsna Ram, 33. Holds a PhD in planning and sustainable design.
    Joseph McGahan, 35. The co-founder of Hempden, a hemp and CBD company.
    Ruth Potts, 44. A lecturer in alternative economics and an anarchist baker.
    Lyndsay Burtonshaw, 28. Works for Quakers In Britain.
    Alistair Tamlit, 30. Member of Plane Stupid, a climate campaign group.
    Laura Clayson, 28. Previously arrested for protesting against fracking.
    Melanie Evans, 35. A climate activist

Of the 14 listed

- 7 appear to have no full time job beyond full time activist
    - 3 are what I believe are today referred to as "creators"- self styled musicians, artists and so forth. If any of you watched Peep Show you will recall the perenially unemployed Jez was a musician- not a remotely talented or profit making musician, but a musician nonetheless.
    - 1 holds a rather fancy sounding degree, but there is no indication thy actually work full time in that field.
    - 1 works for Quakers in Britain. I'm going to hazard a guess they're a chugger.
    - 1 is an entrepreneur of a company of unknown success
    - 1, finally, is a lecturer who prpbably makes a nice few quid.

So there you have it. Of 14 listed protestors

- 7 appear to be unemployed
    - 3 are artistes of unknown, probably minimal profitability
    - 1 is a chugger
    - 1 is possibly an eternal student
    - 1, at most 2, are relatively successful earners

Somewhere between 7 and 12 of this group aged between 27 and 44, are unemployed, semi employed or working jobs nobody of their age should still be working at.

Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

To go bac to this, here's a profile of the Stansted 15, a group of the wacky and weird who invaded the airport to stop 60 people being deported- 6 of whom were convicted of crimes including murder and, one I'm sure at least some of the protestors were particularly sympathetic to, child rape.

Of the 14 listed

- 7 appear to have no full time job beyond full time activist
    - 3 are what I believe are today referred to as "creators"- self styled musicians, artists and so forth. If any of you watched Peep Show you will recall the perenially unemployed Jez was a musician- not a remotely talented or profit making musician, but a musician nonetheless.
    - 1 holds a rather fancy sounding degree, but there is no indication thy actually work full time in that field.
    - 1 works for Quakers in Britain. I'm going to hazard a guess they're a chugger.
    - 1 is an entrepreneur of a company of unknown success
    - 1, finally, is a lecturer who prpbably makes a nice few quid.

So there you have it. Of 14 listed protestors

- 7 appear to be unemployed
    - 3 are artistes of unknown, probably minimal profitability
    - 1 is a chugger
    - 1 is possibly an eternal student
    - 1, at most 2, are relatively successful earners

Somewhere between 7 and 12 of this group aged between 27 and 44, are unemployed, semi employed or working jobs nobody of their age should still be working at.

Says it all really.

It says nothing. Because someone says they are an activist doesnt mean they are unemployed. All I see here is your assumptions and judgement.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It says nothing. Because someone says they are an activist doesnt mean they are unemployed. All I see here is your assumptions and judgement.

If someone is listing their title as ‘activist’ the safe assumption is that they are unemployed as thats it in 95% of cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

If someone is listing their title as ‘activist’ the safe assumption is that they are unemployed as thats it in 95% of cases

Do you think Gemma or Grand Torino's crew have jobs? They don't have the wherewithal to refer to themselves as activists but by jaysus, they're some motley crew, guarantee you 90% receiving disability or some other form of social welfare.

2 can play this game.

But if they weren't white, I'm sure you'd have something to say Eric, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Ruth Potts, 44. A lecturer in alternative economics and an anarchist baker.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

:D

Anarchist baker-refuses to follow recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

F*ck you I won't measure my recipe!
    Ahhhhhhh!
    Mother****er!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

@doublejobbing2. at the moment firms are being closed by ...... the group-load. Did most of these firms have bank loans? And have their bank loans been fully paid back? Someone should publish a paper outlining these considerations.

By... the group-load then, will they all magically start-up again? Will the banks speckle magical money (again?) to them? The pious and pompous employees will continue to pay their mortgages.... with, basically, some bank's money?

And those same 'workers' will continue to sneer at very many customers.

Wot-ever about activists. In this financial scamdemic the problem is: Banks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

@NovemberWren:; the kids left the shower on again....... of course colgate and cotton buds... why not;;.... charcoal when you burnt
    sasuages in the frying scam.....

:hitherto..... 26
    0k each...... there pie herring Board you like the funky one and all the best hon night for the rest well..... :;

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

This thread appears to have gone full hatstand.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

BnB wrote: »
    @NovemberWren:; the kids left the shower on again....... of course colgate and cotton buds... why not;;.... charcoal when you burnt
    sasuages in the frying scam.....

:hitherto..... 26
    0k each...... there pie herring Board you like the funky one and all the best hon night for the rest well..... :;

Purple monkey dishwasher

• Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Penfailed wrote: »
    This thread appears to have gone full hatstand.
    Post of the day for me :D
    Made me properly LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

PhoneMain wrote: »
    those Big Pharma people are so evil, making people live longer and healthier lives. they're so bad.

Hardly healthier if you're relying on artificial means in the body?
    Though I'm not complaining, hopefully I see at least 2 centuries.

You could always put on the the old tin foil hat and say that it suits Pharma that we live longer as it's more years of buying their products, especially in old age when you need them most...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Birneybau wrote: »
    Do you think Gemma or Grand Torino's crew have jobs? They don't have the wherewithal to refer to themselves as activists but by jaysus, they're some motley crew, guarantee you 90% receiving disability or some other form of social welfare.

2 can play this game.

But if they weren't white, I'm sure you'd have something to say Eric, right?

No they dont , theyre all wasters probably feeding off my taxes. The colour of their skin has nothing to do with it.

Im not a fan of gemma or grand torino, this is not the ‘gotcha’ moment you wanted it to be

• Registered Users Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You could always put on the the old tin foil hat and say that it suits Pharma that we live longer as it's more years of buying their products, especially in old age when you need them most...

Well no-one is forcing anyone to use modern medicine or treatments.

If someone thinks Big Pharma are pure evil, then they can just live their lives until nature takes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

No they dont , theyre all wasters probably feeding off my taxes. The colour of their skin has nothing to do with it.

Im not a fan of gemma or grand torino, this is not the ‘gotcha’ moment you wanted it to be

Clearly, I'm equating the ratlickers with your 'activists', not accusing you of being a Gembot.

OK. Think about it like this.

Do you think most people who say, for example, that people in DP should just be given a house, do you think most of these people work hard?

Of course they don't.

Because generally speaking if you work your bollix off to buy a house you won't think people who don't work their bollix off deserve one to be bought for them out of your taxes.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »

Oh I agree entirely.

But far left loons are way, way more common than far right loons in this country.

Their protests frequently get four figures.

I'd be surprised if there are 1000 hardcore Gemma fans in the whole country.

Do you think most people who say, for example, that people in DP should just be given a house, do you think most of these people work hard?

Of course they don't.

Because generally speaking if you work your bollix off to buy a house you won't think people who don't work their bollix off deserve one to be bought for them out of your taxes.

I can only speak from my perspective. I'm looking at purchasing my first house in the new year. I work hard, I've never been out of work since college. However my stance on Direct Provision has never changed, I don't view keeping people in such conditions as humane or ethical. I'm a desperate layabout because of that? Weird...

I can only speak from my perspective. I'm looking at purchasing my first house in the new year. I work hard, I've never been out of work since college. However my stance on Direct Provision has never changed, I don't view keeping people in such conditions as humane or ethical. I'm a desperate layabout because of that? Weird...

See that's funny. Nobody has ever actually specified exactly what is so inhumane about DP centres. Not once.

Why do these people deserve their own flat or house off the state? What have they done to deserve preferential treatment?

Of course they don't.

I know lots of hard working who believe in abolishing DP and replacing it with a just humane system.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

See that's funny. Nobody has ever actually specified exactly what is so inhumane about DP centres. Not once.

Why do these people deserve their own flat or house off the state? What have they done to deserve preferential treatment?

Lack of privacy, can't cook your own meals, children sharing bedrooms with adults they're not even related to which would not be viewed as acceptable ordinarily. So basically we're throwing both children and adults in an unsafe situation that is rife for exploitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Of course they don't.

Nope. Don't tar me with that brush.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Of course they don't.

Nope, work hard and don't have an issue with my taxes being spent on social housing.

Also in relation to activists being unemployed, the likes of gems and tan are and maybe some of their followers are, some do work going by their posts on here.
    I know and work with plenty of people who would described as activists by some. Be it in the field of hacking, where some of them are quite happy to develop tools that can take a person's online activities and forward them to the person's personal and business contacts, to people who work with various types of charities in their spare time. All of work full time and would be third level educated in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Not unhealthier anyway. We have treatments now for conditions that would have vastly increased the chances of death at a younger age. For example, we have medicines for high blood pressure. High blood pressure increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes, keep that in normal range and you have less risk of having a heart attack and stroke. We could also try manage that with diet and lifestyle (which is in all guidelines for management of this) but when this fails or a person doesnt implement it properly, we have medications to help.

A consultant paediatrician once said to me that the 3 biggest achievements that humans have achieved in medicine are:
    1) Antibiotics - for obvious reasons, we no longer are dying of routine bacterial infections that killed our ancestors at all ages and we can do life saving operations where we open up the body. Bacterial resistance is of course an issue but thats another topic
    2) Insulin - This was a death sentence for Type 1 diabetics (usually in childhood or teenage years) up until it was synthesised 100 years ago, now the life expectancy is in the 70s.
    3) Vaccinations - A vast reduction in childhood illnesses over the years. For example, I've never seen measles.

See what all of these are made by? Big Pharma. And yes they profit off it, but they have to have an incentive for producing these things. i doubt there's many people reading this thread who go to work and not expect to get paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The conspiracy according to Gems et al remember was that Covid was created to kill of the elderly to save on pension pay outs. This was quickly proven as bullsh1t so then they moved on to the army rolling in and all of us under martial law. And then when that didn't happen it was claimed that was just a practice run for wave 2, and then when it didn't happen in wave 2........

• Advertisement

Not once

https://www.socialjustice.ie/content/policy-issues/direct-provision-inhuman-degrading-and-increasingly-unfit-purpose

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20272303.html

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/legal-case-to-expose-the-degrading-treatment-of-asylum-seekers-30319663.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/i-live-in-direct-provision-it-s-a-devastating-system-and-it-has-thrown-away-millions-1.4291670?mode=amp

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/concern-raised-for-sucidal-asylum-seekers-in-direct-provision-hostels-1.1789796?mode=amp

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mother-in-direct-provision-denied-food-at-night-for-sick-child-1.3684032?mode=amp

https://www.hotpress.com/culture/lockdown-is-hitting-children-in-direct-provision-particularly-hard-22817201

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-life-in-direct-provision-limbo-is-cruel-and-shameful-1.4072147?mode=amp

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/direct-provision-the-controversial-system-turns-20-1.4081833?mode=amp

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/ourview/arid-31000865.html

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show/direct-provision-inhumane

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/irelands-strange-cruel-system-for-asylum-seekers

https://reliefweb.int/report/ireland/euro-med-monitor-seriously-concerned-about-inhumane-conditions-irish-direct-provision

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/10/asylum-seekers-ireland-intimidated-inhumane-direct-provision

https://www.thejournal.ie/student-in-direct-provision-says-its-worse-than-jail-4954293-Jan2020/

https://extra.ie/2020/07/29/news/irish-news/direct-provision-hunger-strike-cahersiveen

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement