Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

children sharing bedrooms with adults they're not even related to n.

Imagine actually believing this is commonplace. Let me guess, you're one of these people who blindly believes they get a single potato and some sauce for dinner because an anonymous Twitter photo claimed they did.

These people are treated like royalty. If they don't like it they should have went to a country that treats them even more royally like Sweden or Germany.

Not once

https://www.socialjustice.ie/content/policy-issues/direct-provision-inhuman-degrading-and-increasingly-unfit-purpose

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20272303.html

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/legal-case-to-expose-the-degrading-treatment-of-asylum-seekers-30319663.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/i-live-in-direct-provision-it-s-a-devastating-system-and-it-has-thrown-away-millions-1.4291670?mode=amp

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/concern-raised-for-sucidal-asylum-seekers-in-direct-provision-hostels-1.1789796?mode=amp

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mother-in-direct-provision-denied-food-at-night-for-sick-child-1.3684032?mode=amp

https://www.hotpress.com/culture/lockdown-is-hitting-children-in-direct-provision-particularly-hard-22817201

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-life-in-direct-provision-limbo-is-cruel-and-shameful-1.4072147?mode=amp

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/direct-provision-the-controversial-system-turns-20-1.4081833?mode=amp

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/ourview/arid-31000865.html

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show/direct-provision-inhumane

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/irelands-strange-cruel-system-for-asylum-seekers

https://reliefweb.int/report/ireland/euro-med-monitor-seriously-concerned-about-inhumane-conditions-irish-direct-provision

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/10/asylum-seekers-ireland-intimidated-inhumane-direct-provision

https://www.thejournal.ie/student-in-direct-provision-says-its-worse-than-jail-4954293-Jan2020/

https://extra.ie/2020/07/29/news/irish-news/direct-provision-hunger-strike-cahersiveen

I stopped reading after the first link defined asylum seekers as being people suspected of having a well founded fear of persecution, then the next paragraph told us they are from Albania and Georgia :pac:

For perspective of how daft this is it's worth remembering that in 2002 we were getting asylum seekers from the likes of Poland and Latvia.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I stopped reading after.

You dont seem to like your fake news assertions proved wrong.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Imagine actually believing this is commonplace. Let me guess, you're one of these people who blindly believes they get a single potato and some sauce for dinner because an anonymous Twitter photo claimed they did.

These people are treated like royalty. If they don't like it they should have went to a country that treats them even more royally like Sweden or Germany.
    Sharing bedrooms with non related people is pretty common... You can go on a personal attack etc but the issues with direct provision are well documented and they most definitely are not treated like royalty.

Anyway, your earlier point was that people in full time employment are fine with direct provision conditions etc. That's clearly untrue. It's more a case that you're trying to ignore the issues with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

For perspective of how daft this is it's worth remembering that in 2002 we were getting asylum seekers from the likes of Poland and Latvia.

Were we? If we were, that's 18 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Poland and Latvia joining the EU in 2004 and 2003, respectively, for a start.

Are our immigration and asylum systems perfect? Jaysus, no, far from it. There's certainly room to tighten up some of the rules. There's also certainly room to treat people like human beings, and end DP. Does that mean "giving someone a house"? No, and that's not what anyone is looking for.

(FWIW, full time worker here, and have been since the 80s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Sparko

The Nal wrote: »
    The conspiracy according to Gems et al remember was that Covid was created to kill of the elderly to save on pension pay outs. This was quickly proven as bullsh1t so then they moved on to the army rolling in and all of us under martial law. And then when that didn't happen it was claimed that was just a practice run for wave 2, and then when it didn't happen in wave 2........

Just like her uprising that was definitely happening in 2020, then maybe 2021, then definitely by 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Sparko wrote: »
    Just like her uprising that was definitely happening in 2020, then maybe 2021, then definitely by 2024.

Well, it might happen before 9 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,776 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I see aciquestion have more videos of Gemma screeching at customers and shop owners for asking her to wear a mask. Comparing them to Nazis...
    Her voice....Jesus....she has no right to service in them...saying she is going to sue them all and if they have a house it will be taken off them....
    Isn't she broke?!?

Seriously someone is going to clock her some day and she will thoroughly deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

gmisk wrote: »
    I see aciquestion have more videos of Gemma screeching at customers and shop owners for asking her to wear a mask. Comparing them to Nazis...
    Her voice....Jesus....she has no right to service in them...saying she is going to sue them all and if they have a house it will be taken off them....
    Isn't she broke?!?

Seriously someone is going to clock her some day and she will thoroughly deserve it.

She wants to ban starbucks and costa cos they're fascists.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

She wants to ban starbucks and costa cos they're fascists.

Ruth Coppinger wanted to ban them too.

Different reasons though!

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Ruth Coppinger wanted to ban them too.

Different reasons though!

A quick Google indicates she wants them to pay corporate tax rather than dodge it. Tad different to Gemma's nonsense..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mountain

Fair play to the staff in all 3 shops,
    They conducted themselves very well under what must be difficult circumstances, I’m sure any annoyance from them would result in that poisonous bit** editing the footage to make them look bad.

You dont seem to like your fake news assertions proved wrong.

Five Irish Times links? Are you actually on a wind up?

Didn't click, but if any of them are by Sorcha Pollak or Kitty Holland they aren't news articles of merit, they're opinion pieces.
    Sharing bedrooms with non related people is pretty common... ...

Non related people.

You claimed children with non related adults.

Do you think five year old girls share rooms with unrelated men in their 40's as a matter of routine, day in day out?

It may have happened the odd time. It shouldn't. But if it did it was because the centre was too rammed full of spoofers that your lot don't want deported.

One thing is certain, more Irish children will be sharing rooms with uncles and in laws if the loopy plans to shut DP come to fruition.
    Were we? If we were, that's 18 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Poland and Latvia joining the EU in 2004 and 2003, respectively, for a start.

So you think that countries that were a few months away from joining the EU, who had already been approved for membership, had people fleeing for their lives during this period? :pac:

Does that mean "giving someone a house"? No, and that's not what anyone is looking for.

Actually it is exactly what the Catherine Day report is looking for, and you know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

"Own-door accommodation", or "housing support" versus a free house are very different things, and you know this. You seem to interpret the report the way you want it to read to suit your agenda.

MrsBean wrote: »
    "Own-door accommodation", or "housing support" versus a free house are very different things, and you know this. You seem to interpret the report the way you want it to read to suit your agenda.

They really are not. The plan was to either use scarcely available council houses or let them loose on the over crowded private market via a HAP style scheme.

But you already knew this.

Five Irish Times links? Are you actually on a wind up?

Didn't click, but if any of them are by Sorcha Pollak or Kitty Holland they aren't news articles of merit, they're opinion pieces.

Non related people.

You claimed children with non related adults.

Do you think five year old girls share rooms with unrelated men in their 40's as a matter of routine, day in day out?

It may have happened the odd time. It shouldn't. But if it did it was because the centre was too rammed full of spoofers that your lot don't want deported.

One thing is certain, more Irish children will be sharing rooms with uncles and in laws if the loopy plans to shut DP come to fruition.

So you think that countries that were a few months away from joining the EU, who had already been approved for membership, had people fleeing for their lives during this period? :pac:

Actually it is exactly what the Catherine Day report is looking for, and you know this.

I can't find the particular report where it was referenced so I'm happy to rescind it. The conditions have been recognised by multiple reports to be unsuitable for children and often unsafe conditions. But you literally don't seem to care and wish to rant about it being the "spoofers" fault. Irish children are all that seems to matter to you..

You've now encountered multiple posters who are in full time employment that view direct provision to be dreadful.

I can't find the particular report where it was referenced so I'm happy to rescind it. The conditions have been recognised by multiple reports to be unsuitable for children and often unsafe conditions.

Unsafe for children how, exactly?

Again these are buzz terms that nobody is willing to specify. If the children are unsafe because they are living in the same building as unsavoury residents then the wider public is unsafe, yet you and the rest would undoubtedly be offended by the "rapefugees" signs fed up Germans were waving at demos in 2016. Make your mind up.

If they are unsafe for another reason I presume it means that the buildings are fire hazards. In this case a bit of proof would be needed.

You've now encountered multiple posters who are in full time employment that view direct provision to be dreadful.

So? They don't speak for the majority of the population who are growing a bit tired with the moaning of ungrateful South Africans (a democracy since 1994 which legalised gay marriage at a time when most Irish people regarded it as one of those mad ideas that only the anything goes Netherlands would allow).

Asylum seekers get, on arrival

- free accommodation
    - free light, heat
    - free internet
    - free clothing
    - free GP care via medical card
    - a weekly stipend
    - full child benefits and education rights
    - freedom to come and go from the centre as they please
    - legal aid
    - free travel? (Unsure but I'd imagine so)
    - free school education (I'd imagine they're not asked for the yearly contribution bollix either)
    - pathways to free 3rd level
    - discounts all over. Safe pass courses, for one, are free for refugees, travellers and Roma under some schemes.

Until a few years ago an Irish returning emigrant wasnt even entitled to dole under the habitual residence rule.

In some Australian states an immigrant on a skilled worker Visa has to pay the costs of their child's education in s state school despite the fact they're already paying income tax.

Anybody who thinks that they are badly treated is either delusional or on a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Maybe you should start a thread to discuss the Catherine Day report so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I can't find the particular report where it was referenced so I'm happy to rescind it. The conditions have been recognised by multiple reports to be unsuitable for children and often unsafe conditions. But you literally don't seem to care and wish to rant about it being the "spoofers" fault. Irish children are all that seems to matter to you..

heres an article about it...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/proposed-new-housing-system-for-asylum-seekers-not-workable-says-housing-department-1.4416339

Includes the following..

The expert group’s proposals that accommodation be supplied by local authorities from a “severely constrained supply” is “unrealistic”, it argues.
    Additional pressure on the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) would have “a very serious impact” across the entire housing budget and “would inevitably lead to rental inflation”.
    The proposed system will also create a situation where homeless families and people are competing for accommodation with people coming from direct provision, leaving more people homeless and in emergency accommodation, it adds.

If the proposals are implemented, local authorities will have to use their own stock “which was meant for social housing applicants”, it states.
    Introducing thousands of asylum seekers into the private housing market, where 68,000 households are already on the housing list, could “foreseeably have a displacement effect” for low to medium income families currently in rented accommodation, it adds.

Asked last week to comment on the lack of housing stock nationwide, Dr Day said she recognised it would “take time for local authorities to build up housing” but that housing pressure was not the same in every county in Ireland. “We believe with close co-operation between local authorities, NGOs and local communities it can be done”.

To those who saying offering housing support is not the same as a free house if I rent a house for 1200 which is then paid by HAP, is that not a free house?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Kindly get back on topic folks. Multiple off topic posts deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭dasdog

It's somewhat ironic that Gemma, John Waters and Dee don't pay PAYE/PRSI/USC - the latter whom is scamming the welfare system - yet they are the first to point the finger at immigrants.

On a brighter note the Irish Freedom Party blocked me on Twitter for suggesting they are supressed homosexuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

So you think...

Do not presume to tell me what I'm thinking, and do not try to put words in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭tigger123

dasdog wrote: »
    It's somewhat ironic that Gemma, John Waters and Dee don't pay PAYE/PRSI/USC - the latter whom is scamming the welfare system - yet they are the first to point the finger at immigrants.

On a brighter note the Irish Freedom Party blocked me on Twitter for suggesting they are supressed homosexuals.

Made me lol.

A very productive and satisfying day, no doubt.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You mean to say they're not? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭dasdog

tigger123 wrote: »
    Made me lol.

A very productive and satisfying day, no doubt.

Went further afterwards and trolled Dee on a live stream from her gaf. These are arseholes that should be called out. I got her to say OANN is the truth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

You know I'd be banned outright if I said I'd been trolling Ebun Joseph.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You know I'd be banned outright if I said I'd been trolling Ebun Joseph.

have you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Whoosh

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MagoP

gmisk wrote: »
    Isn't she broke?!?

I nearly feel sorry for the woman. She clearly has serious mental health issues and I reckon there are people taking advantage of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

About Paye/Prsi/usc; on Dee Wall's website the excellent video Dee has made at the absolutely vacant Antrim Hospital (that Leo Varadkar had said was packed with cases) was most informative and illuminating.

Dee Wall has just accomplished an important piece of journalism and it is presented there on the website for all to see.

No doubt Paye/Prsi/usc is paid by Newspaper Journalists and RTE Presenters.
    If only they actually were such - and actually presented the actual news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement