Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Im not surprised. Half of that protest were Brits. Torino himself a former british soldier. Irish nationalism lol

There were plenty of British accents in the counter protest. Apart from Hazel Chu not too much diversity and a few D4 types thrown into the mix. Unsurprisingly though not too many ordinary decent working class Irish people in the counter protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Stephen15 wrote: »
    There were plenty of British accents in the counter protest. Apart from Hazel Chu not too much diversity and a few D4 types thrown into the mix. Unsurprisingly though not too many ordinary decent working class Irish people in the counter protest.

Did you spend long at the protest yourself Stephen?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Nope there was a very diverse bunch in the anti hate protestors. A very good mix of families, the elderly, the young and middle aged like me. The vast majority would have been working class. I mean were you even there? Or are you basing it on the videos posted by the Gemmaroids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

All I’d say is I’m sick of it. I’ve extended family members and close friends from other parts of the world and they’re happy and proud to be here and also contributing hugely to both the finances and cultural life of Ireland, having thrown themselves into all sorts of things from the GAA, to Tidy Towns, to universities, public bodies, private industry, to voluntary groups and arts, music, heritage and all sorts of aspects of Irish society. I’ve also got Irish family members who’ve gone to other parts of the world as emigrants and made their lives there too.

This is a country that counts people who have heritage from other countries amongst our founding fathers and mothers. Eg: Eamon de Valera was of Basque Country and Cuban heritage via the USA, Constance Markievicz, an English born woman married to a polish guy etc We also had LGBT people eg Roger Casement amongst the people who founded this republic. Yet those people standing outside google were waving our tricolour as it’s some kind of symbol of exclusion. It’s an absolute misrepresentation of everything that flag stands for and has come to represent.

We’re a nation that has gone to the world, often due to economic circumstance, but also in better times because we travel well and you’ll find us everywhere, often very well integrated but still retaining our pride in the old sod and our Irishness. We have networked the hell out of the world and we’ve thrived as a direct result of that. We have never been suprematists or imperialists and we’ve always been on the side of the underdog, because we know what it’s like to be downtrodden, to be stamped on by a class system, to be victims of sectarianism and to be victims of racism.

I hold my head high as an Irishman because of that culture and a history that has given most of us a great empathy, sense of being able to recognise injustice where we see it.

I don’t recognise a bunch of flag waving people shouting nasty jingoistic exclusionary crap as being representative of my culture. Lads and lasses, you’ve managed to import a whole load of toxic identity politics from the US and elsewhere and frankly it doesn’t belong here. Leave it in the dark corners of the internet where you found it! It’s nothing but raw toxicity and hate and it will consume you. It’s the hate, the notions of supremacy and the racism that’s foreign, not the Irish people born somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Anyone got any footage of the Gardaí arriving to get rid of them tonight?
    Edit

Found it or part of it

• Advertisement

Just in case people think it was just one random person giving a Hitler salute it wasn't.

2Wcb8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just in case people think it was just one random person giving a Hitler salute it wasn't.

2Wcb8.jpg

I have seen a few more too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

All I’d say is I’m sick of it. I’ve extended family members and close friends from other parts of the world and they’re happy and proud to be here and also contributing hugely to both the finances and cultural life of Ireland, having thrown themselves into all sorts of things from the GAA, to Tidy Towns, to universities, public bodies, private industry, to voluntary groups and arts, music, heritage and all sorts of aspects of Irish society. I’ve also got Irish family members who’ve gone to other parts of the world as emigrants and made their lives there too.

This is a country that counts people who have heritage from other countries amongst our founding fathers and mothers. Eg: Eamon de Valera was of Basque Country and Cuban heritage via the USA, Constance Markievicz, an English born woman married to a polish guy etc We also had LGBT people eg Roger Casement amongst the people who founded this republic. Yet those people standing outside google were waving our tricolour as it’s some kind of symbol of exclusion. It’s an absolute misrepresentation of everything that flag stands for and has come to represent.

We’re a nation that has gone to the world, often due to economic circumstance, but also in better times because we travel well and you’ll find us everywhere, often very well integrated but still retaining our pride in the old sod and our Irishness. We have networked the hell out of the world and we’ve thrived as a direct result of that. We have never been suprematists or imperialists and we’ve always been on the side of the underdog, because we know what it’s like to be downtrodden, to be stamped on by a class system, to be victims of sectarianism and to be victims of racism.

I hold my head high as an Irishman because of that culture and a history that has given most of us a great empathy, sense of being able to recognise injustice where we see it.

I don’t recognise a bunch of flag waving people shouting nasty jingoistic exclusionary crap as being representative of my culture. Lads and lasses, you’ve managed to import a whole load of toxic identity politics from the US and elsewhere and frankly it doesn’t belong here. Leave it in the dark corners of the internet where you found it! It’s nothing but raw toxicity and hate and it will consume you. It’s the hate, the notions of supremacy and the racism that’s foreign, not the Irish people born somewhere else.

I think DeValera was born in America. James Connolly was born in Scotland.

Well said overall. This white and christian supremacist racism is nothing to do with Irish natioanlism or patriotism. It's an American, British and European ideology that is deeply divisive and completely based on hate.

Bernadette Devlin McAliskey has given us all a very timely warning
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/focus-on-nationalism-will-sooner-or-later-move-ireland-towards-fascism-1.3984320?mode=amp

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

2Wcb8.jpg

I have seen a few more too.
    Loads of plants

She is like Hitler on Helium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ordinary decent working class people arent apl stupid Stephen. GemGem isnt a voice for the working class. GemGem is a voice for the stupid.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ordinary decent working class people arent apl stupid Stephen. GemGem isnt a voice for the working class. GemGem is a voice for the stupid.
    Or intelligent bad people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Nobody has a problem with ordinary English people. The difference is that Black and Tan Torino was a member of the British Army in or around the time they were colluding with Loyalist paramilitaries and whose purpose in Ireland was to militarily enforce the British claim to sovereignty in Ireland. The idea you can join a foreign army which shot Irish protestors off the streets and then call yourself a “patriot” is a f*cking joke.

She has connections to Justin Barrett. So she must have connections to youth defense.

These are EXACTLY the type of people they are. Avec hitler salutes and hard men in hoodies.

I hate bein jewish gonna be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

She has connections to Justin Barrett. So she must have connections to youth defense.

These are EXACTLY the type of people they are. Avec hitler salutes and hard men in hoodies.

I hate bein jewish gonna be honest.

It was actually a Roman salute if we are going to be accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 23,492 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

FTA69 wrote: »
    Nobody has a problem with ordinary English people. The difference is that Black and Tan Torino was a member of the British Army in or around the time they were colluding with Loyalist paramilitaries and whose purpose in Ireland was to militarily enforce the British claim to sovereignty in Ireland. The idea you can join a foreign army which shot Irish protestors off the streets and then call yourself a “patriot” is a f*cking joke.

See its stupid people the likes of her and GranTurismo appeal to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Blueshoe wrote: »

In this context, why were the counter protesters using a roman salute? What does it mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Guys know your fat right greetings... pfft

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

pjohnson wrote: »

Nah, intelligent bad people have other spokespeople. Gemmas ideology is not based on politics and has nothing to do with naziism or ‘the far right’ , she’s a conspiracy theorist reactionary who gets on every bandwaggon. Her followers are more likely to be claiming social welfare than understanding or preaching fiscal conservatism, more likely to want to just beat up foreigners than understand the cost to the state of mass immigration etc..

The identity ireland mob have really just joined in as now the left are counter protesting they think theyll get a few digs in against antifa etc... more ‘the enemy of my enemy is my friend’ with gemgem rather than any ideological affinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Loads of plants

More plants than the Chelsea Flower Show according to some.

• Advertisement

Yeah the Romans is exactly what it is associated with, may have been originally but not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah the Romans is exactly what it is associated with, may have been originally but not any more.

Blueshoe must think we are all a bit thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Of course not. It's the working classes who will bear the worst of the multicultural misery. If they object, the Irish Times readers (the few that are left) will preach to them about how racist they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So many scared people on this thread. Just scared of everything.

Anyway looks like Gemtrails will be told to move on today by the Gardai. Or at the very least be told to turn the noise down. Which will be hilarious. She'll go mental which will be hilarious to watch. I love her little manic rants.

Blueshoe must think we are all a bit thick.

I would respect people a bit more if they had the balls to stand behind their beliefs instead of this crap.

I think a lot of people who fall for it mean well and are not bad people deep down.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I hate the tactic of getting in someones face and shouting louder than them which is what Gemma was doing to the Garda yesterday.

'Why don't you do your job.....'

He is f*cking doing his job, if only more people actually had respect for the Gardaí trying to do their job.
    And I'm also pretty sure that the Garda will not be delivering any news of an online account being activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Loads of plants

Well I think that's an insult to plants TBH!

I have a lovely and varied herbaceous border and I'v never seen any of my many, many plants acting so stupidly cúntish :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,512 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Genuine question why is she referring to hazel chu as a watermelon?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement