Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

gmisk wrote: »
    Genuine question why is she referring to hazel chu as a watermelon?!

perhaps it is an allusion similar to calling a black person a coconut. So green on the outside, red in the middle or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Genuine question why is she referring to hazel chu as a watermelon?!

Green on the outside (Irish), red on the inside (communist).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,776 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Nal wrote: »
    Christ she is so embarassing.
    Hazel Chu is trying to contribute something to betterment of society in Ireland unlike that looney bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭paulbok

Blueshoe wrote: »
    It was actually a Roman salute if we are going to be accurate

Well apart from the salute, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Christ she is so embarassing

Shes 50 years of age aswell. You'd expect that from 15 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭tigger123

Jesus Christ, that woman is really some piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Christ she is so embarassing.
    Hazel Chu is trying to contribute something to betterment of society in Ireland unlike that looney bin!

While I don’t agree with gemmas comment or statement, the only thing hazel chu is contributing to irish society is encouraging more taxation. Hardly a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭tigger123

While I don’t agree with gemmas comment or statement, the only thing hazel chu is contributing to irish society is encouraging more taxation. Hardly a good thing.

Whatever she is standing for, she was elected and has a mandate from her constituents. She's getting involved and trying to change things for the better.

If Gemma wants a mandate, she should put herself up for election. Let the people show her their level of support for what she stands for.

Thats another thread altogether. Its also not true but the only reason Hazel is being targeted is because her parents are Chinese and she looks Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

tigger123 wrote: »
    Whatever she is standing for, she was elected and has a mandate from her constituents. She's getting involved and trying to change things for the better.

If Gemma wants a mandate, she should put herself up for election. Let the people show her their level of support for what she stands for.

i dont think she will be keen to repeat that humiliation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Thats another thread altogether. Its also not true but the only reason Hazel is being targeted is because her parents are Chinese and she looks Chinese.
    While i would disagree its the only reason and believe that any other politician involved in the protest would also be harassed, there is agreeably an element targeting her becUse of her asian heritage

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nah Hazel Chu is contributing a huge amount to this country as an elected representative. The attacks on her really show what Gemma and her supporters are about; Bigoted racist hate.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

While i would disagree its the only reason and believe that any other politician involved in the protest would also be harassed, there is agreeably an element targeting her becUse of her asian heritage

Indeed. This all started when one of Gems lot called Hazel "that migrant".

Instead of distancing herself from that comment, never mind speaking out against it, Gems jumped on board and lead the verbal attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

Agreeably?.

Being your libertarian beliefs somewhere else. She's being targeted for what she looks like.

It kind of reminds me a lot too of what has happened with Diane Abbott too in the last few years. Not just racism but mysogyny too.

Barely anyone has been having a go at any of the other Sinn Fein, PBP, Labour, Soc Dem, Green or FF politicians there.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

It’s interesting when you see the swipes at green politics. It’s very much what you see in the alt right in the US which just points to those dwelling in online bubbles. For some reason they’ve a fatalistic, myopic, hate filled view of the world, rather than an optimistic one and they tend to hate environmentalists, sustainable economic, green philosophies, social progressives and so on.

It’s also always been about dogma and attacking science, because scientists, academics and other experts don’t tend to tolerate alternative facts (i.e. just making up nonsense) and expect them to be able to make a reasoned argument backed up by evidence and proper testing.

The whole thing is a confused, heady mix of conspiracy theory, anti science, dogma (both political and religious), xenophobia, racism, homophobia, general hatred, fatalism and so on all wrapped up in a nationalistic package and a flag they’re trying to steal and repurpose as a symbol of exclusion and hate.

They’ve taken all the US alt right talking points and are trying to apply them here.

We really need to ensure that our national symbols, which are basically Ireland’s branding aren’t used that way too. The flag and all the other stuff they’re using belong to all of us and do not symbolise what they are trying to distort them into.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They won't go away. They will just go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It’s interesting when you see the swipes at green politics. It’s very much what you see in the alt right in the US which just points to those dwelling in online bubbles. For some reason they’ve a fatalistic, myopic, hate filled view of the world, rather than an optimistic one and they tend to hate environmentalists, sustainable economic, green philosophies, social progressives and so on.

It’s also always been about dogma and attacking science, because scientists, academics and other experts don’t tend to tolerate alternative facts (i.e. just making up nonsense) and expect them to be able to make a reasoned argument backed up by evidence and proper testing.

The whole thing is a confused, heady mix of conspiracy theory, anti science, dogma (both political and religious), xenophobia, racism, homophobia, general hatred, fatalism and so on all wrapped up in a nationalistic package and a flag they’re trying to steal and repurpose as a symbol of exclusion and hate.

They’ve taken all the US alt right talking points and are trying to apply them here.

We really need to ensure that our national symbols, which are basically Ireland’s branding aren’t used that way too. The flag and all the other stuff they’re using belong to all of us and do not symbolise what they are trying to distort them into.

I think it's more the hypocrisy people are fed up with.
    Everyone knows about Greta Thurnberg - a teenager having hissy fits - no one knows about Boyan Slat someone actually doing something to change things.

People like Chu/Thurnberg just want to rise taxation - it's all about money at the end of the day, of course this money won't change anything , will be just pocketed by fat corrupt politicians that will still drive around in SUVs and private jets.

People want change, but they don't want to change ... same old.
    I am aware that GT doesn't fly and leads a fairly green lifestyle, but the followers are total hypocrites.

SUV sales in Ireland - Higher than ever.
    People flying - higher than ever.
    Mobiles/Tablets/Laptops - everyone replacing them every 6 months.

Ye can piss off with your hypocrisy.

But hey, I must be just "filled with hate" to see it .... sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think it's more the hypocrisy people are fed up with.
    Everyone knows about Greta Thurnberg - a teenager having hissy fits - no one knows about Boyan Slat someone actually doing something to change things.

People like Chu/Thurnberg just want to rise taxation - it's all about money at the end of the day, of course this money won't change anything , will be just pocketed by fat corrupt politicians that will still drive around in SUVs and private jets.

People want change, but they don't want to change ... same old.
    I am aware that GT doesn't fly and leads a fairly green lifestyle, but the followers are total hypocrites.

SUV sales in Ireland - Higher than ever.
    People flying - higher than ever.
    Mobiles/Tablets/Laptops - everyone replacing them every 6 months.

Ye can piss off with your hypocrisy.

But hey, I must be just "filled with hate" to see it .... sure...
    Very valid and interesting post.

But is it really connected to Gemma O Doherty?

And if so how?

Well, maybe the fatalism bit might be the only bit they’re correct on. Seems we’re headed down the path of an orgy of paranoid internet conspiracies, rather nasty identity politics, tribalism and a philosophy of squandering everything can lay our hands on and to hell with the consequences.

The biggest issue with the alt right and online bubbles around them is the lack of facts and willingness to just make belief around a whole load of topics.

Their anti vaccine drive, for example, is already getting to the stage that it’s already causing reemergence or diseases that we’d assumed were consigned to the history books and there is absolutely no logic behind it at all other than sheer paranoia. It’s at the stage in France for example where 1/3 of the population now seems to think vaccines are dangerous and you’ve such low uptake of certain vaccines that herd immunity is at risk of vanishing.

The double edged sword of the internet : it can bring great ideas and movements together, but it doesn’t discriminate and it can also do exactly the same for a whole lot of stupid and dangerous. It’s not just the alt right either, a hell of a lot of toxic stuff including radicalisation of various brands of extremism is coming through in much the same way - toxic bubbles of various flavours, where views aren’t challenged and the normal diversity of opinion and dissenting argument vanishes.

All I would say is that at least Ireland’s PR based democracy tends to avoid that problem because it’s heavily biased towards a diversity of views and having to find consensus, thus bursts a lot of bubbles.

• Advertisement

And if so how?

Its not sorry, just so often people like myself who are critical of the lefts response to the very real climate change - are lumped in with tin foil hat climate change deniers chemtrail dopes.

Its not sorry, just so often people like myself who are critical of the lefts response to the very real climate change - are lumped in with tin foil hat climate change deniers chemtrail dopes.
    If you are critical of the lefts response you must be insanely critical of the rights?

And if so how?

Well Gemma is a climate change denier too...

Terry Pratchet

Thanks for prooving my point, hence you took my post as climate change denier...

Shes on FB pleading with people to come down today. Apparently her new livestreaming isnt going well according to her.

Shes claiming George Soros was behind the counter protest on Saturday!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Ah, yes, the old "denier" tactic. Tax the working and middle classes to death for putting fuel in their cars and heating their homes, then when they ask why the world hasn't ended like Al Gore told us it would, call them "deniers."

I'm sure the coping classes will love that, and the Green Party won't be obliterated again when the inevitable economic contraction comes.

Shes on FB pleading with people to come down today. Apparently her new livestreaming isnt going well according to her.

It would work far better on 5G.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

paulbok wrote: »
    Well apart from the salute, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Well the aqueducts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Overheal wrote: »
    Well the aqueducts

Skirt-wearing Romans!

Aqua ducks are the next step in the promotion of transgenderism, following on from the rainbow unicorns!

• Advertisement

It would work far better on 5G.
    Outstanding :D:D:D:D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement