Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Tbf, I would have thought her losing her job in 2014 was as a result of her bringing her batshít crazy theories to the editorial team.

Wikipedia:
    In 2013, while investigating the penalty points cancellation scandal, O'Doherty sought to question Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan about the quashing of his own speeding points and called to his private home at approximately 10pm in order to do so, speaking to Callinan's wife.[16] In August 2013, Doherty was fired from Irish Independent and though the newspaper rejected any links between the firing and the phone call, Stephen Rae, editor-in-chief, branded her as a "rogue reporter" for approaching the commissioner without editorial permission.[a][20] The Irish National Union of Journalists condemned the dismissal as unfair.[20]
    O'Doherty lodged a complaint about her dismissal with the Employment Appeals Tribunal (EAT), which was resolved in 2014 with Independent News & Media plc praising her contributions to the newspaper and tendering an unreserved apology, whilst paying her an undisclosed sum.[20] Similarly, she won a defamation case against the Irish Independent at the High Court, where the newspaper stated: "Independent Newspapers wish to acknowledge the exceptional work of multi-award winning investigative journalist Gemma O’Doherty for the Irish Independent during the course of a lengthy career"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

circadian wrote: »
    Maybe a more constructive talk rather than send them back might work better.

I agree. But there is no talk. A bus arrives in a small town in the middle of the night Nd they are bundled into a kip hotel.
    No talk beforehand, no option , no public meeting and no choice.

Opinions are racist. Debate is not permitted. Mob rule decides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It's not just my opinion Stephen - it's the opinion of many other posters too and it's evidenced by your espousal and support for racist theories and ideologies. I would be frightened to think what your definition of racist is given how you think you are not racist though.

Even if people share your opinion it's still your opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It's not just my opinion Stephen - it's the opinion of many other posters too and it's evidenced by your espousal and support for racist theories and ideologies. I would be frightened to think what your definition of racist is given how you think you are not racist though.

It's not an opinion. You are a racist Stephen.

More worrying though is your extremism. You are more a danger to Irish society than approved asylum seekers.

More worrying though is your extremism. You are more a danger to Irish society than approved asylum seekers.

How so because I might happen to use my vote for a party you not like/support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's really weird that you don't just own it and refuse to be honest with yourself. You hold racist beliefs, you vocalise them all the time and somehow you try to deny that. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

I'm talking about you voting for a fascist party Stephen. You know I'm not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It's really weird that you don't just own it and refuse to be honest with yourself. You hold racist beliefs, you vocalise them all the time and somehow you try to deny that. Weird.

That's par for the course these days. It's all about framing language to help convince yourself that you're not a bad guy. You're not xenophobic, you're just a concerned citizen. It's alt-right newspeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Such as Gemma? Ben? The National Party?

Because they all seem a real threat to the "establishment" don't they?

One of the things that our electoral system affords us, is the opportunity to support a broad range of political beliefs.
    How have those who you have expressed support for done whenever they have stood?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

banie01 wrote: »
    Such as Gemma? Ben? The National Party?

Because they all seem a real threat to the "establishment" don't they?

One of the things that our electoral system affords us, is the opportunity to support a broad range of political beliefs.
    How have those who you have expressed support for done whenever they have stood?
    Be careful with that. Remember Farage was thought of as the same but look at him now. Most popular party in the European elections with 29/72 seats and possibly a king maker in the next British parliament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭banie01

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Be careful with that. Remember Farage was thought of as the same but look at him now. Most popular party in the European elections with 29/72 seats and possibly a king maker in the next British parliament.

Stephens preferred candidates have all either failed miserably at the ballot box, or not fielded candidates despite being "active" for over 2 years before the last round of elections.

Farage has the benefit of appealing to the past glories of the British Empire and laying blame at the feet of the EU for the decline of the UK.

Unfortunately too many in the UK were taken in by that rhetoric along with the lies that were spouted by the leave side regarding easy deals and NHS millions.

It's no coincidence that Gemma and her supporters regularly blame the EU for Irish "decline"...
    If anyone allows themselves to be taken in by that line without questioning whether or not Ireland is a better country since '73?
    Whether the EU has played a pivotal and progressive part in our emergence from the 3rd world?
    Whether or not the Ireland of today, the opportunities afforded to our citizens and our entrepreneurs as part of a market of greater than 660million are too great a price to be paid for the death of De Valera's Ireland?

Well I'd love to the see the logic Gemma or any of her supporters could put out to justify that.
    Farage is quite adept at masking UKIPs and now the Brexit party's racist roots behind a mask of making Britain great again.
    Gemma, Ben, the Nationalist party have no real call to memory to base a similar strategy upon, despite Gemma's regular utterances of "Is this what they died for".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,419 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Farage was smart enough to distance himself from the more racist elements of his party. He quit UKIP when they allowed robinson to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,756 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For my part I don’t have a bone in Irish partisan politics. I just can see you’re a racist from the way you mischaracterize the first world not as NATO countries but instead all the European countries who are predominantly white to the exclusion of all others, imagining to yourself that somehow Koreans for instance are more culturally compatible with Ireland than other more culturally similar countries that, for instance, are full of Catholics, speak English and use a Latin alphabet, yet just so happen to be full of non-whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,094 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The White Nationalist Party? Why would you happen to vote for them?

Can you link to some of their policies?

Let's say pretty basic stuff, housing and health for instance.

Boggles wrote: »
    The White Nationalist Party? Why would you happen to vote for them?

Can you link to some of their policies?

Let's say pretty basic stuff, housing and health for instance.

You guys have a legit White Nationalist Party?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,094 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Overheal wrote: »

Sorry? :eek:

Not me, good god no.

I have seen certain users promote a thing called the Nationalist Party.

Founded by a Neo Nazi wannabe.

They meet in secret, but are ready for the next GE apparently, all though when you ask simple questions about how many seats they will contest, silence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Overheal wrote: »

Any party that isn't up Europe's arse gets no support here.
    Irish people need some larger power telling them what to do.

We have had The Catholic church and the United Kingdom. Now we have the EU.

Blueshoe wrote: »

Smacks of "what have the Romans ever done for us".

Looking at the EU ledger it seems no wonder Ireland is not eager to rock to the boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The Nationalist Party's leader literally attended Neo Nazi rallies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

batgoat wrote: »
    That scumbag even copied his hand movements from Adolf H :D

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,763 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hes was the guest of honour at one of them. The one where they all cheered the original Nazis who were there.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/far-right-rally-had-welcome-for-irish-no-activist-1.1098691

Gemma has had him as a guest speaker a couple of times. She likes him and agrees with his politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That scumbag even copied his hand movements from Adolf H :D
    Nuh-uh, he was just waving to the cameras. Just watch this 2 hour-long video for proof!

Leah Doherty openly supporting criminal acts against someones business. Please get back to me when you Gemma or any of her supporters engage in any criminality because I have get to see and no Ile need a bit more evidence than her ideology supporting it. Please tell me where she has said it directly.

https://twitter.com/LeahNiD/status/1161970499011928064?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The Nal wrote: »
    Hes was the guest of honour at one of them. The one where they all cheered the original Nazis who were there.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/far-right-rally-had-welcome-for-irish-no-activist-1.1098691

Gemma has had him as a guest speaker a couple of times. She likes him and agrees with his politics.

In fairness, Stephen likes his politics too... Not an extremist though!

Leah Doherty openly supporting criminal acts against someones business. Please get back to me when you Gemma or any of her supporters engage in any criminality because I have get to see and no Ile need a bit more evidence than her ideology supporting it. Please tell me where she has said it directly.

https://twitter.com/LeahNiD/status/1161970499011928064?s=19
    Defamation: https://www.thejournal.ie/grimes-suing-odoherty-4700195-Jun2019/

Hate speech: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1989/act/19/enacted/en/html

In fairness, Stephen likes his politics too... Not an extremist though!

From 2002 anything more recent. It's in the past like me saying FG are nazis due to their links with the blueshirts who are actual nazis. He even said in a more recent interview that he felt he was keeping the wrong company with regards to his anti abortion views I think. He is like an Irish Salvini or Orban I would personally love Ireland to have a leader with similar views to Salvini a true European hero.

From 2002 anything more recent. It's in the past like me saying FG are nazis due to their links with the blueshirts who are actual nazis. He even said in a more recent interview that he felt he was keeping the wrong company with regards to his anti abortion views I think. He is like an Irish Salvini or Orban I would personally love Ireland to have a leader with similar views to Salvini a true European hero.
    How can you call him a European hero since he's a hardline Eurosceptic? Greta Thunberg is a true European hero.

How can you call him a European hero since he's a hardline Eurosceptic? Greta Thunberg is a true European hero.

Europe is not the European Union. He is a hero for turning the boats back. Italy is over run with immigrants and Salvini is trying to change that.

• Advertisement

Europe is not the European Union. He is a hero for turning the boats back. Italy is over run with immigrants and Salvini is trying to change that.
    He's blocking them at italian ports, he couldn't care less if they land in Cyprus or Spainish territores or Malta etc... Again, how is that a European hero?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement